I keep going way over in protein, is that bad? need food sug

Options
I plan out what im going to eat throughout the day each morning and these are my remaining today (after logging breakfast, lunch and dinner) so I really need help on how to get the extra calories and not go over too much on everything.

Calories: 561 / Carbs: 97 / Fat: 19 / Protein: -2 / Sodium: 1,380 / Sugar: 1

Also, I notice that I go over on protein everyday, sometimes it's just a few and on some day's it can be very extreme and be around 20g over. I know too much protein is bad for your kidneys so that concerns me. Everything I eat seems to have atleast 1g of protein in it and it bothers me to see it in the red all the time.

Replies

• kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It may be easier for suggestions if your diary was open. Otherwise we can't give specific advise.
  • Happinessx
    Options
    It may be easier for suggestions if your diary was open. Otherwise we can't give specific advise.

Let me open it up.
  • Happinessx
    Options
    Ok, it is now viewable to the public.
  • jello1369
    jello1369 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Going over in the suggested amount of protein may not be a problem if you're doing heavy weight lifting. Your muscles need the protein to rebuild themselves.

If you're not doing heavy weight lifting, try switching out proteins for more lean fruits and vegetables in order to keep both the calories and the proteins down. You can eat a lot of filling vegetables for very few calories if prepared correctly.
  • Happinessx
    Options
    I'm not doing any heavy lifting, unless you count lifting 24pks of pepsi products on a regular basis and the occassional 50lb bag of potatoes (I'm a cashier and our store policy is 'every must come out of the cart') Other than that, I dont do any heavy lifting.
  • R0asted
    R0asted Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    20g is way over? LOL

I'm over 200g + over what myFitnessPal suggests pretty much every single day.
  • MFP's protein levels are very low. Many people are more comfortable with a ratio of 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fat...you can re-set these levels if you prefer. I have already eat 86 gms of protein today, and that was just breakfast and a snack. I usually hit 150+ gms a day, and I've been doing this all year. I'm not low-carb either...I just eat a lot of protein. The vast majority of people don't have any trouble processing a high amount of protein, but if you have any congenital kidney problems, you could conceivably have an issue with large amounts of protein. You could always check with your doctor if you're concerned. If you're lifting weights, you need a lot more protein that what MFP suggests. Most people WANT to go over on protein and fiber. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it AT ALL.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    The MFP protein is set for minimum not maximum. Too much protein is only relevant if you go to extremes, are dehydrated or have pre-existing kidney issues. However you are best eating protein little and often at each meal or snack because the body cannot store spare and can only process ~30g at any one time. You are eating very little fruit and veggies, mineral rich foods and no oily fish - maybe be more concerned about your fibre, vitamin, mineral and essential fatty acid intake than protein.
  • Happinessx
    Options
    20g is way over? LOL

I'm over 200g + over what myFitnessPal suggests pretty much every single day.

Well..for their set level it is.
  • Happinessx
    Options
    The MFP protein is set for minimum not maximum. Too much protein is only relevant if you go to extremes, are dehydrated or have pre-existing kidney issues. However you are best eating protein little and often at each meal or snack because the body cannot store spare and can only process ~30g at any one time. You are eating very little fruit and veggies, mineral rich foods and no oily fish - maybe be more concerned about your fibre, vitamin, mineral and essential fatty acid intake than protein.

Ok. I plan on incorporating more fruits/veggies when I get paid and can grocery shop, at the current moment im just eating what I have around the house.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    your protein goal is ridiculously low. Unless you weigh 60 lbs.