Options

Replies

• LetsGetFitMama
    Options
    Meh, I can't get the picture to be a decent size so here is the link

http://modernviolentgentlemen.com/tag/vintage-tattoos/
    there ya go mama

tattooed-men_zps7eb0d9d4.jpg

I love this! I have tattoos, and I do not regret any of them. Mine are all in spots where they are covered for the most part when I am out just due to jobs but I am excited to add to my collection. Thankfully, my parents were supportive. My father just said to wait til I am 18 and make sure it was something I really wanted. Being a Canadian, and a Molson Canadian beer lover, I got the molson leaf that says "I AM" that shows "I am Canadian" and proud. It was a tiny tattoo, but it was my first which turned into now 7 tats lol.
    Like others have said, make sure it is something that you really want, that has a meaning to YOU and that will be a great reminder for you. To outsiders, my tats seem very random, there is no theme, but to me, each one has its very own meaning to me and that is all that matters! Good luck!
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm on the side of go for it. However I do have two tattoos and am going to have one covered because it wasn't what i wanted in the first place but I let the tattooist and friends talk me into having a different design than the one I really wanted. My advice, for what its worth, is to think long and hard about the design and to pick something timeless and meaningful to you. Also make sure you go to a highly recommended artist and see some of their previous work.
  • foodie99
    Options
    Also think about if you want to see it easily for that reminder.

I have butterflies on my back that I really love, and would love to emblish more, but I'm probably not going to do it because I rarely see them. Sure I can look over my shoulder in a mirror, but how much time a day do I really do that? And sure I know they are there, but it is art, and to really appreciate art you have to look at it.

So while you consider placement, add that extra factor.
  • LetsGetFitMama
    Options
    Good luck with the Hepatitis:smile: treatments .

Did you really just say that? Wow, its called researching your artist making sure they are up to safety codes etc. So I guess no one should ever go to other places for vacations because you can get Hep just by stepping on a piece of glass in the sand or by the ice cube in your drink.

I will safely assume all of us on here who have tattoos, most more than one, can safely say we have no Hep treatments to worry about and are at no further health risk due to our ink.
  • mominwi419
    Options
    Do I go out in the sun, of course because sun is good for you. Do you know that rickets are coming back due to lack of Vitamin D which is produced when in sunlight. I go out in the sun and I make sure I have adequate protection and I always wear a large sun hat and sunglasses.

I am not ignorant and yes it is my opinion, I find tattoos totally unattractive.

Then don't get any? The difference between tattooed people and not tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care if people don't have any.

I didn't get my tattoos for anyone else. They are my own and aside from 1, I do not regret any of them.

To the OP, look for a great artist, ask questions, and don't settle.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I think that you have put some good thought into this. You are thinking to get it somewhere where it can be covered and not limit any future career opportunities for you. You are giving yourself at least 3 months to "live with your decision" before you proceed. You are considering doing henna before going for permanent. I think that your idea to give your idea to your friend to have her make it "your own" is an excellent one. The only thing that I would caution you about is to avoid the stomach area as you may have children later in life (again, don't limit any future opportunities). Your tattoo artist should advise you of the areas that are often not good spots for women in their child-bearing ages.

I have one larger tattoo on the back of my shoulder. My oldest son (who has recently gotten his 1st tattoo) loves the symbolism of my tattoo. I've wanted another one for quite some time and it's taken me over a year to figure out just what I want.
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Ok controversial. Don't do it, you have beautiful skin, don't ruin it. Think of what that tattoo will look like when you are old and wrinkly. Sorry I just think tattoos are chavvy, same goes for piercings. How about rewarding yourself with a bracelet, like pandora and with each significant milestone reward yourself with a charm.

In all honesty.. what will your skin look like when you're older? We all will get saggy. A wrinkle and a sag is just that, having a tattoo isn't going to change the fact that old people sag and wrinkle. It is close minded people like this that annoy the crap out of me. Seriously. How is getting a tattoo RUINING skin? Do you go out in the sun? Do you have any idea what that exposure does to precious skin? Have an opinion but try not to be ignorant.
    ^this, i love my tatttos and my piercings they make me who i am and i wont take them out unless i want to. i WILL most likely turn down a job if they tell me i have to take my piercings or gauges out (no that they will close but i wont be something im not and gauges with out anything in them??? ew)
  • Hearndt
    Hearndt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I got tired of reading the back and forth at the end of page 2. Tattoos, like many things in life, are a matter of personal taste and everyone has different taste. I got one when I was 18, I thought it was cute and kind of meaningful. (Chinese symbol for Destiny--Chinese characters were in back then) Now as a 32 year old it wouldn't be my first choice but I still love it for the person I was when I got it. Along the way I have gotten two others (total of three) and each tells something about who I was when I got it. I was married two years ago and no tattoo's were visible, I have worked in public relations and no tattoos were visible. Point is, I made sure that I placed them in locations that were not visible unless I wanted them seen. So that is my big piece of advice, get what you want but be aware that it isn't going to be everyones cup of tea so make sure it won't stop you from landing your dream job or getting your dream wedding dress if your after the traditional look (bc there is nothing that ruins a beautiful virginal dress like a tat peeking out from the top of the bustline) What you get won't be as important as time goes on, it will be a reminder of the person you were when you got it. And for the record I WILL be getting number 4 when I get to my goal weight! Good luck sweetie and love your body whatever choice you make!
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    A tattoo for your weight loss is very personal and for you....so just think it through carefully. I think it's a great idea, and I'm considering the same for myself :). I'm 34, and do not have any just yet, but have been wanting one. I just want it to be very specific to me and not something you're going to see on a lot of other people. I have a few ideas, but haven't settled on any yet. I have another 19 pounds before I reach my goal anyhow :). Whatever you decide, let it be YOUR decision. After all, it's your reward and constant reminder. As far as your friends and family saying what if you gain it back? First....that's not a very positive attitude, second, so what? IF you do...you have the tattoo to remind you that you were able to achieve that goal before, and hell yes you can do it again!!!
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options

ooooh can I play the ignorant game?

do you have sex? OMG good luck with the AIDS.
  • BossReyes
    BossReyes Posts: 117 Member
    Options

ooooh can I play the ignorant game?

do you have sex? OMG good luck with the AIDS.

Hahaha
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    don't get the metal ones. We've had them change color after having an MRI.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    don't get the metal ones. We've had them change color after having an MRI.

Metal tattoos?...

..really?
  • jamers1949
    Options
    u already r!
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Ok controversial. Don't do it, you have beautiful skin, don't ruin it. Think of what that tattoo will look like when you are old and wrinkly. Sorry I just think tattoos are chavvy, same goes for piercings. How about rewarding yourself with a bracelet, like pandora and with each significant milestone reward yourself with a charm.

When you skin is old and wrinkly your tattoo will look like crap, just like the rest of your skin. A tattoo doesn't really make it better or worse, and I've seen some pretty old saggy skin with tattoos. Also, I happen to think charm bracelets (i.e. pandora bracelets) look idiotic on adult women.

Wow....I guess that means that those of us who have managed to live beyond 35 might just as well hide ourselves away since we look like crap with all of this ugly, wrinkly skin. :grumble: Oh and I guess I'd also better go through my jewelry box and make sure there's nothing in there that makes me look idiotic.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options

When you skin is old and wrinkly your tattoo will look like crap, just like the rest of your skin. A tattoo doesn't really make it better or worse, and I've seen some pretty old saggy skin with tattoos. Also, I happen to think charm bracelets (i.e. pandora bracelets) look idiotic on adult women.

Wow....I guess that means that those of us who have managed to live beyond 35 might just as well hide ourselves away since we look like crap with all of this ugly, wrinkly skin. :grumble: Oh and I guess I'd also better go through my jewelry box and make sure there's nothing in there that makes me look idiotic.

Nobody said you had to hide away. The point is that regardless of tattoos our skin will be saggy and have wrinkles
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Haven't got time for a proper answer at te moment as have people coming over. Just do me a favour, look at Madison's picture, she is a stunning natural beauty.

WTF? So a tattoo will take away natural beauty???? I have three of them. Unless you know me well enough for me to show them to you, you wouldn't know they were there. But then again, you probably wouldn't say I was a natural beauty anyway.

To the OP...if you have really given it sufficient thought, I say do it. I totally agree with the other poster who said make sure you get a GOOD artist as I had to get one of mine "fixed." Ask people where they got theirs...most are happy to tell you if they really liked the person who did theirs. I got one at age 20, 30 and 40. I don't regret any of it.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    for all the comments about what's gonna happen when we're old and wrinkly, we're gonna regret the tattoos... blah blah blah.
    I personally would rather look like a crumpled up coloring book than a paper bag. and for regrets, if I make it to 70, I can barely make it to the bathroom on time, and I call all my kids "Billy", I'm sure the first thing I'm gonna say is, "Damn, I wish I didn't get that tattoo to remind me of the good days."
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Let me begin by saying that I am not one that has ever really been interested in others' opinions of me or my choices. In high school, I buzzed my hair off twice (while living in a very small town) and found it enlightening to see who avoided me in the hallways (because of course there were those that thought I worshipped the devil or did drugs - neither of which was true). I have bi-racial children (controversial to some). My husband thinks I am beautiful the way I am and most of my friends and family tell me I look fine, but I made the choice to become healthier and lose weight based on the way I feel about myself. I got my first tattoo at fifteen and I now have nine at the age of thirty. All can be covered if need be. Even the one on the back of my neck can be covered by a collared dress shirt or wearing my hair down. I have one on my ring finger that can be covered by my wedding band. Do what brings YOU happiness.
  • dthompson88
    Options
    I have stretched lobes, lots of piercings, and tattoos, finishing my sleeve next month. They all tell a story and a certain point in my life. My goal is to get a side/thigh piece when I hit my goal weight!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!