Mission: lose 60 lbs in 9 to 10 months HELP!

Options
My brother is getting married next October so I have a little over 9 months to drop 60lbs maybe a little more. Has anyone done this and what did you do to achieve it? Please give me tips. This is a big deal for me I don't feel comfotable to wear a dress to his wedding the way I am now. and I don't want to be the fat girl in all the photos. This will bring me down to about 160 pounds if I succeed.

Replies

• carmel81
    Options
    Back in 2010..I dropped 50 lbs in about 7 months (Started Jan 17th, and wedding was July 17th!) - Your goal is something that you can definitly achieve, but you need to set yourself up for success! I wasn't on MFP at the time, I was using WW online. I was averaging about 2 lbs lost/week. In order to do this, I needed to track my food to stay accounable and exercise about 5 times a week. I would set mini goals for myself, and when I reached them (every 10 lbs) I would reward myself, whether that was a new outfit or a hair color. Also..TAKE PICS! Before and as you are losing weight. Seeing myself in pics helped identify the changes. Another things is to have supportive people around you. Find friends to exercise with, eat healthy with. Planning meals is a crucial part of it. I find if I don't plan, then I would become lazy. I am still continuing on my journey of weight loss...it will be a lift time thing for me. Best of luck...you can do it!!
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Back in 2010..I dropped 50 lbs in about 7 months (Started Jan 17th, and wedding was July 17th!) - Your goal is something that you can definitly achieve, but you need to set yourself up for success! I wasn't on MFP at the time, I was using WW online. I was averaging about 2 lbs lost/week. In order to do this, I needed to track my food to stay accounable and exercise about 5 times a week. I would set mini goals for myself, and when I reached them (every 10 lbs) I would reward myself, whether that was a new outfit or a hair color. Also..TAKE PICS! Before and as you are losing weight. Seeing myself in pics helped identify the changes. Another things is to have supportive people around you. Find friends to exercise with, eat healthy with. Planning meals is a crucial part of it. I find if I don't plan, then I would become lazy. I am still continuing on my journey of weight loss...it will be a lift time thing for me. Best of luck...you can do it!!

^^^this is great advice. I've lost 54 lbs in 5 months. But what I think is important is you need to do this for YOU. Make it a lifestyle change or after that wedding you may go back to old habits and be back where you started. Do this for great health and an active lifestyle. To be a better you and love how you look and feel. The motivation for the wedding is great motivation, but don't make that your MAIN reason to lose this weight. Allow the wedding to be icing on the cake! Wishing you great success.

To answer your question, I did Medifast, a low calorie, low carb meal replacement program. YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO THAT. If I knew what I knew now I would have saved 1200$$ but it got me more than half way through my journey and I am thankful. All you need to do is eat at a calorie deficit, be active and the weight will come off.

here are some informational links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I lost 61.5 pounds in 12 months (2008-2009) by doing pretty much the same as I'm doing now (more tech this time) and for a cumulative 14 weeks I 'had a break' and gained rather than lost or maintained, so it is doable depending on what your starting weight is.

I started off walking and aiming to have a deficit of 1,000 calories a day (reduced as I lost weight).
    I added weight training at 225 pounds (my weight bench has a 220 lb weight limit).
    I started jogging at around 185 pounds (they say it is best not to start jogging until your BMI is below 30).
    I ate "clean" (not doing it this time as I need a baseline to fall back on rather than switching back to takeaways).
    My long-term goal was 10% body weight every 6 months, but I lost 10% in 2 months, 20% in 8 months, and close enough to 30% in 12 months. I've lost 10% in 8 weeks this time too, as expected since my new long-term goals are less feeble.

My before and after photos are in my blog as markers of the direction I'm going in... with the latter being a loss of 70.25 pounds (from Saturday just gone) in 34-37 weeks (about 8.5 to 9 months).