What time of the day do you exercise?

Options
I work 40+ hrs/weeks and my commute is 40 minutes. I'm trying to figure out if waking up two hours earlier and exercising is going to land me face first in a pile of papers at my desk around 10:00 AM or if working out at 8:00 at night is going to mess with my sleep. Anyone out there suffer the " I can't sleep because I exercised at night" saying or is that a myth?
Thanks-

Replies

• Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You have the right idea sister!! My day is nuts!! The only tiem of day I have is 4:30 am and I do it 6 days a week!! Plus - then its over and you can just relax when you get home!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    There's no way I can do my workouts at night. I get too amped up and can't get to sleep. I'm also a morning person so getting up at 4:45 to head to the gym isn't a problem for me at all. I'm pretty spoiled though. My gym is 1.1 miles from my house and I have a 13 mile drive to work so time isn't as much of an issue as it is for you.
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I exercise after work and have no issues with sleep. I finish work at 5pm and get to the gym at about 6pm and I'm there for 2 hours.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I work 4 ten hour days every week. On days I work, I am already up at 4:45 so no way to get up and work out before that. Two of those days, I do work out after work at about 5:30 or so for an hour. On my three days off, I do get up and work out first thing in the morning for 2 hours. I love getting it out of the way in the morning as the rest of the day is then pretty much guilt free.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Most of my workouts are done at 5 am. I do go to two classes during the week after work - Tues and Thurs nights - and haven't had any issues sleeping afterwards.

I've found that working out in the morning wakes me up. I still have coffee and everything, but I'm more alert throughout the day.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Well back when I worked 2 part-time jobs (total 50ish hours a week between both of them) and went to school (still do as a full-time student just on break) I squeezed my workouts in the morning right after I woke up. The key is to get in [the gym], do what you have to do and get out. Focused mainly on compound movements and kept it simple, didn't want to "waste" time doing isolation work or switching machines/areas.

I've also tried working out at night but I'm usually too spent after a long day to work out with any intensity after, maybe you're different try it out.
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I did the working out in the morning before work but it didn't work for me. I was too tired to really push myself and then I was falling asleep at the wheel on my way to work. I now work out right after work. I have more umpf in my workouts and no problems sleeping.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and prefer to do it in the mornng. Especially if I'm doing cardio. I like starting my day that way, then go to work with the private knowledge that I've already done something productive and good for myself. It's like a little boost to start the day. I'll sometimes do some light weights or stretching in the evening. Occassionally cardio in the evening, but that's rare as I get very lazy after working a full day. Stretching in the evening is very relaxing and makes me feel nice and snuggly and snoozy.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person, so I exercise at night. I find it helps me sleep much more peacefully at night.
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Run/cardio days are in the morning at about 730-8 am. Crossfit days are 1230 (11 on sat) since it's the least busy. I work at home and have no kids, so my schedule can revolve around working out lol.
  • eazieske
    eazieske Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I walk at lunch and walk after work 30 min at lunch and 1 hour after work
  • Larela
    Larela Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input. I think I will have to try both ways and see what works best. I think the main thing to do is be consistent. There are some classes at my gym I want to take at night to maybe on the other days I will go in the A.M. The most important thing is that I'm dong it right?
    Thanks agian-
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can squeeze it in. Between work, school, and kids my schedule is completely unpredictable.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input. I think I will have to try both ways and see what works best. I think the main thing to do is be consistent. There are some classes at my gym I want to take at night to maybe on the other days I will go in the A.M. The most important thing is that I'm dong it right?
    Thanks agian-

I agree. You have to see what works best for you. My workout times are all over the place. If i'm running it's at 8:30am after I drop the kids off at the busstop. If I do a class at the gym then it's usually around 1030-1100. But there are days where my volunteer work is during the day so I may take a class at 2:30pm or just go at night when my husband gets home. The thing is, like you stated, I'm working out. It may not be at the time I like but I fit it in.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I exercise 4 hours per day - 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in early evening. My training consists of both cardio and resistance coupled with low level MMA and tennis competition.
    It's more fun than work.
    I must make myself stop.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I get up at 3:45 to work out--full-time job, 2.5-year-old, and grad school. I find I have more energy if I work out in the morning than if I don't!
  • Candy1629
    Candy1629 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    With 2 small children and a husband that leaves for work before 6 AM, I personally ONLY have time in the morning while they're all sleeping. I get up between 3:30-4:00 AM for my workout so I have time to shower before my husband leaves. And I will tell you, on the days I do this, I have TONS more energy than on days I don't. It really helps me make it through my day. However, I do crash shortly after my kids between 8:00-9:00 PM so it just depends on having that option or not. The evenings are not possible for me so I make this work. And it's actually perfect. So many people tell me they don't see how I do it but you do get used to it and once it becomes habit, you actually don't feel right unless you get your workout in first thing in the morning. :wink:
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I usually work out around this time. However i'm not feeling well today. Might take the dog for a walk later. I will have to start working out earlier now. I'm going to be starting a new job soon.
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    google for exercises you can do during your drive. Obviously they will be limited ... but I work my tummy while I'm driving. It's better than letting it lay there doing nothing and nobody can see if they pull up along side me. After all ... don't want to look weird! ha
  • mcpjan
    mcpjan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning as if I don't I usually have lots of things come up that keep me from working out after work. I usually workout between 4:30 - 6 AM 6 days a week. I also try to walk at lunch for 30-45 minutes.