plus size business attire?

Options
I am hoping that someone here has an idea! I have gained a lot of weight just in time for a new internship that requires fancy business attire.

Where can I go to get some plus size business attire for not too much money? I'm a poor, overweight student who desperately needs several business outfits.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Replies

• OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Lane Bryant for inexpensive nice business-like clothing when I was a size 18. Their prices were not too bad. Not sure what size you are, but if you wear a size 14 you can find some nice pants at Ann Taylor Loft.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Do you have any thrift stores around you? Thrift stores are huge here and can potentially have awesome selections of very cheap, barely used business work clothes! Winners? The other ones like winners that the states have?

I shop online for a lot of my plus size fashion. http://www.citychiconline.com/ and http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Homepage.jsp and http://www.swakdesigns.com/ are my favourites. When they have sales on and free shipping you can get awesome deals!
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Try Dress Barn. They have a good plus size collection and some nice stuff. Plus shop Marshall's and TJMaxx. You will be able to get a good set of basics.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Old Navy.
    Plus sized, generally have a HUGE sale rack. And a tailor. If you can get cheap dress pants and need to adjust the size, pay the minimum it costs to take it to a tailor. (Unless you have tailoring skills)

Buy a couple basic black pants, you can get away with wearing black every day vs one pair of pants every single day. Basic button down shirts are also good, tucked or untucked, add a scarf, you can dress it up or dress it down.

I've purchased several "plus sized" dressier items at Old Navy. I've never spent more than $10 for a pair of pants, there.

But I spend money on a tailor, I can't say how much this is so good because it changes the cut to suit your size, even if it is plus sized.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can really find good pieces at catos on the markdown racks good luck!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    If you have time to go on-line google one stop shopping. You will get Lane Bryant, Silloute, Roman's, etc. Prices vary, but Roman's will be the lower end price wise. I work at a bank in the corporate offices and have shopped these places for years. Good luck!
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am a size 18 at the moment. I think. I will probably have to try stuff on to find out at this point.. I was a 16 a few months ago, and those are now kind of tight, so I'm guessing 18. Which means "regular" stores are out, sadly.

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • betsy179
    Options
    I think it is called women for women in business. They have used clothing. Women who discard good clothing, donate and I think it is free or a small charge. Does anyone know if this the right name ?saw it on the news a few mths ago. Hope that helps
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Check out zulily.com they sometimes have nice plus sized clothes for low prices :)
  • bethanyreeddilullo
    Options
    I don't know if you have freecycle.org in your area but I've gotten business appropriate clothing through individuals there as well as clothes for my kids and just about anything else you can imagine for free. Its free to join and you pick the area you are closest to -- many times if you post that you need something, somebody will have it just sitting in there closet and will contact you to arrange for pickup. I had several older business suits that I posted and somebody snapped them up within an hour !! Good luck on your new adventure ..
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Goodwill was my best friend this last year as my sizes changed over and over. In Phoenix we have $1 day on Thursdays. Other thrift stores are good too. I give the clothes back when it gets to big. Lots of new items can be found for all sizes. I used to shop on line at women within. Lots of coupons and clearance items. Just watch what stuff is made of. Good luck!
  • betsy179
    Options
    Oops! sorry I gave you the wrong name it is dress for success Check out their web page! good luck:flowerforyou:
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Torrid sells very nice business wear.
  • catbyrd
    catbyrd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Try Romans or Jessica London online stores. They have really good clearance sales on suits and other business attire.
  • ridofthegoodies
    ridofthegoodies Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Resale shops are the best when you don't want to invest in "new" clothes in each smaller size.
  • jammiemd
    jammiemd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I recently went to one of the Tanger Outlet Malls. Lane Bryant had a lot of cute business attire at discount prices. Im from Georgia...so i'm not sure if you have Tanger in your area but I've seen them all over while traveling.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    consignment shops, borrow from friends, thrift stores, shop sales (kohl's & jc penney have huge sales on right now), Ross, TJ Maxx, Burkes, and Dress Barn
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same size as you in pants but pear shaped so I'm smaller up top.

Old Navy has good inexpensive stuff going up to a size that should fit you in the store in most items, and they have plus sized items online. Some of their things can be kind of cheap looking, but some are very nice. I'd go in person and check the sale racks first.

Target is having a sale right now on all their sweaters and sweater dresses, and most come in plus size. I can wear a large up top in these, so the xl should fit.

JC Penney's quietly carries plus sized officewear, and should be a good source for pants and skirts.

Lane Bryant has awesome stuff, but they're a bit on the pricey side.

Etsy.com is a good place to flesh out your wardrobe with a few extra vintage blouses. They can be had for under $20 usually.

If you need hosiery, forever21's plus size section has basic tights for the cheapest price I've seen. I got 10 pairs for around $50.

Wetseal.com has a plus sized section with a few awesome cheap things like pencil skirts, trousers, etc.

Also, never underestimate the power of a good thrift or resale shop. My favorite one here is a plato's closet knockoff I used to work at. Tops can be as cheap as $3 and by obsessively stalking the sales I once got a little black dress for around $1.50.

I'm a skirt and dress person, and I'd look for something that will stretch to fit now but still fit when you've lost some as well. I'd invest in a couple sweater dresses and plain dresses made from t-shirt fabric, a few stretch waistband skirts, a pair of tights for every day of the week, and a handful of fun and inexpensive tops. If you are a pants person, it's trickier to have them fit right when you lose weight, but it can be done. I've got no tips on it, sadly.
  • themommyiwannabe
    themommyiwannabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Someone I work with told me to go to Goodwill. She always dresses really cute and finds a lot of her stuff at Goodwill. She gave $3 for an Old Navy sweater that still had the tags on it.
  • harryhenry
    Options
    Now no need to worry for the size of cloth to fit in. I know some of the fantastic online stores from where you can get large varieties of goods for all types of people at a reasonable price. With special offers and replacement and pay back guarantee. try this..
    www.modz.fr/fr/PRET-A-PORTER-PANTALON-FEMME