Are my calories too high

Options
Hi ...

My calories work out to about 3780 per day. I have 6kgs to lose and chose to lose 1pound a week. Is this why my calories appear so high??? They seem far too high.

Replies

• adegonia
    adegonia Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That seems high to me. I am 5'7" was 145 and set to lose .75 a week. I have 1450 before working out.
  • fit4kim
    fit4kim Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That seems high to me. I lead an active lifestyle and exercise 90 min. 5 days a week. My calorie intake is set at 1600 but i want to lose the last 5 pounds so i am restricting it to around 1200. Oh I am 5' 1" 112. My daughter is 5' 6" and her calories is set at 1680 and she is wanting to lose 1 pound a week. Her workout is same as mine though some days she adds 15-30 more of cardio...and would like to lose 26 pounds. And for her she eats 1400 cal to achieve this. Hope this helps.
  • ash1352
    ash1352 Posts: 9
    Options
    fit4kim-- With how much you workout, your calorie intake at 1200 is too low. At some point and time your body will begin feeding off of itself and you will not lose any more weight. Trust me, I have studied exercise science in college and I tried to slim my calories down to 1200 and workout 6 days a week for 90 minutes, and you hit a horrible plateau that will be hard to bounce back from. Good luck, just my opinion, of course.
  • ash1352
    ash1352 Posts: 9
    Options
    fit4kim-- With how much you workout, your calorie intake at 1200 is too low. At some point and time your body will begin feeding off of itself and you will not lose any more weight. Trust me, I have studied exercise science in college and I tried to slim my calories down to 1200 and workout 6 days a week for 90 minutes, and you hit a horrible plateau that will be hard to bounce back from. Good luck, just my opinion, of course.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I think you must have put in something wrong..Isn't 6kg about 13 lbs? You can't weigh that much to begin with if that's all you have to lose. I would recheck your numbers and see if you made a mistake
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Your calories seem high to me too. But you did not say how much you are exercising. Are you exercising a ton? Plus make sure your weight is in there correct. The more you weigh the more you get to eat and still lose weight.
  • sassydot
    sassydot Posts: 141
    Options
    Hi Jan

When wanting to work in kgs rather than pounds, you have to do a bit of fiddling.

first make sure your settings are set to metric kgs and cms (Home - Settings - switch to metric) Doing it on the goals page itself seems to cause the screw-up
    Then redo your goals

you'll find your height has come out WAY off and that's why its saying you need so many calories, because of the converting on MFP its kinda converted it twice : /
    I had this same issue myself when I first joined. It thought I was 5m tall!

Just keep resetting your goals until its all right. I think I had to do it twice but its sweet now I go in and chop them around all the time without issue now everything is correct in my settings.

i'd say you'd come out somewhere in the 13-1600 cal a day range - I'm 165cm and 76kg , lightly active to active, and to do 1lb a week MFP puts me on 1530 cal a day - if that helps any.
  • janln
    janln Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your replies....
    Now i feel like a real dill....because I had myself at 5mts tall......lol
    That was the problem. Now my calories are 1200. sounds better..