Chia Seeds....

Options
I keep hearing about all of the nutritional benefits of Chia Seeds (i.e. making you feel fuller faster, helping with hydration, helping reduce blood pressure, filled with Omega-3, etc.)

Have you tried these? And do you find this to be fact or crap?

Replies

• AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Anyone, anyone?

I feel like the teacher from Ferris Bueller's Day Off!
  • racingred24
    racingred24 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them, but was wondering about them too. I heard that they take a bit for your system to get used to....fyi stay close to the bathroom. I also keep thinking my hair will start growing like the Shrek Chia Pet. lol
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Bump! I would like to know too!
  • caware1
    Options
    Hello, I regularly add chia (& flax seeds) to my oatmeal in the morning. Chia seeds are a plant-based way to get essential Omega-3 fatty acids - important for reducing inflammation, and keeping your brain in working order. In addition, chia has a high fiber count per calorie and is high in calcium and other anti-oxidants.
  • jc112486
    jc112486 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is a health nut, and added them to shakes to stay full during a clease. I trust her option and would definately give them a try! I'm trying to add flax to a lot more things cause its high in Omega 3's. My advice would be to add them to other things (e.g. sprinkle of a salad, grind them up and mixed into other dishes). That way you can get the nutritional benefit with out eating straight flax or chia seeds! :)
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have been using chi seeds for about 2 years now I love them. there good for all those things. I started using them because of my IBS its has been wonderful. I put them in my smoothies and my yogurt. some people cook with it I never tried it that way before. They are worth trying.
  • AliciaBeth78
    Options
    I haven't tried them, but was wondering about them too. I heard that they take a bit for your system to get used to....fyi stay close to the bathroom. I also keep thinking my hair will start growing like the Shrek Chia Pet. lol

Well at least it wouldn't look as weird as Chia Shaggy! - http://www.chiapet.com/index.php/licensed-chia-pet/chia-shaggy :bigsmile:
  • themutineer
    themutineer Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    They're good. They're a superfood. You can buy relatively inexpensive organic, non-GMO at your local grocery store.

I add it to my smoothies, and add to pudding for dessert or a healthy snack. It can also be used as a natural thickener for soups and stews, as an egg substitute, or added to yogurt or oatmeal.

They are jam packed full of minerals, omega 3 fats, antioxidants, fiber and are a complete source of protein.

2 tablespoons of chia seeds has:

1.Five times the amount of calcium in milk (plus boron which helps you absorb it)
    2.Three times the amount of antioxidants in blueberries
    3.Three times the amount of iron in spinach
    4.Three times the amount of fiber in oatmeal
    5.Two times the amount of protein of any other bean, seed or grain
    6.Two times the amount of potassium in a banana

Because chia seeds expand up to 3 times their original size when wet and have such a high fiber content (great for regularity!), they can help you eat less and stay full longer by bulking up your meals and crowding out fat, sugar and calories (great for weight loss!). Consuming chia seeds increase energy and endurance (great for runners!). They also help your body rebuild muscle after exercise and during and post pregnancy. Chia seeds have more Omega 3’s and a much longer shelf life than flax (and can be substituted in any recipe for flax).
  • AliciaBeth78
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm gonna go head up to Whole Foods and pick some up!!!!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    2 tablespoons of chia seeds has:

1.Five times the amount of calcium in milk (plus boron which helps you absorb it)
    2.Three times the amount of antioxidants in blueberries
    3.Three times the amount of iron in spinach
    4.Three times the amount of fiber in oatmeal
    5.Two times the amount of protein of any other bean, seed or grain
    6.Two times the amount of potassium in a banana

How much milk/ blueberries/ spinach/ banana, two tablespoons? If so well duh, seeds are fairly dry little beasties, the majority of those foods have a high water content so the comparison is disingenuous. If you compared per calorie or by dry weight you'd get a rather different result. And I don't even believe they have twice as much protein as other seeds, they are ~20% by weight which is standard for seeds.
  • racingred24
    racingred24 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm going to buy some chia seeds now. I hadn't realized the nutritional value they had! NO wonder Chia pet's hair grows so fast....lol
    24364267.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • LoriIone
    LoriIone Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Ive been going to a nutritionist, for weight loss. She highly recommended me getting chia seeds. She told me to make protein balls with them too, and flax.
  • GatorGirl0890
    GatorGirl0890 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    One delicious way to use them is in oatmeal. I combine:

1/3 cup steel cut oatmeal
    water or milk
    random amount of greek yogurt
    chia seeds
    stevia

I refrigerate it overnight and it's delicious, cold oatmeal. The chia seeds thicken it. I don't use exact measurements, maybe a tablespoon or so of chia seeds.

Sometimes I'll add pumpkin or something to change up the flavor. It's delicious.
  • smp4463
    smp4463 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I recently added chia seeds to my diet.. figured filling up on healthy options couldn't hurt being in my diet
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm in now too. Want to try these if they're that nutrient dense. Do they work the same way as flax seeds in terms of needing to be toasted or ground up so that you actually get the nutrients from the seed otherwise they'll pass right through you?
  • themutineer
    Options
    How much milk/ blueberries/ spinach/ banana, two tablespoons? If so well duh, seeds are fairly dry little beasties, the majority of those foods have a high water content so the comparison is disingenuous. If you compared per calorie or by dry weight you'd get a rather different result. And I don't even believe they have twice as much protein as other seeds, they are ~20% by weight which is standard for seeds.

Not sure - but suffice to say, they are a great addition to any healthy diet. Worth whatever their caloric intake may be, in my opinion.

Original Article: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4353/6-Reasons-Why-You-Should-Eat-Chia.html
  • themutineer
    Options
    Okay, I'm in now too. Want to try these if they're that nutrient dense. Do they work the same way as flax seeds in terms of needing to be toasted or ground up so that you actually get the nutrients from the seed otherwise they'll pass right through you?

Chia is very rich in omega-3 fatty acids, even more so than flax seeds. And it has another advantage over flax: chia is so rich in antioxidants that the seeds don't deteriorate and can be stored for long periods without becoming rancid. And, unlike flax, they do not have to be ground to make their nutrients available to the body. Chia seeds also provide fiber (25 grams give you 6.9 grams of fiber) as well as calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, molybdenum, niacin, and zinc.

Original Article: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA365093/Chia-for-Health.html
  • hyerlevo
    Options
    They are great for a lot of things but you need to soak them to get the full benefits.

Be well!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    You can use a tablespoon of chia seeds as a substitute for an egg when baking. I think the gel that forms around the seed acts as a binder. That said, I don't know why anyone would eliminate eggs from a recipe. Eggs are rich in protein and nutrients.

I toss chia seeds in my greek yogurt in the morning. You can also throw the seeds in a salad. I've tried the chia fresca thing a few times, but I don't care for the texture.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    They're also great in homemade bread. Doesn't alter texture or taste.