Hmm...so this is pretty bitter-sweet...

Options
I'm so incredibly excited, because I've been waiting for the longest time, but I start a new job on Monday. The problem is life is going to be extremely hectic. For one, my stepmom and my dad work. i have to drop her off every morning at 7:20 and then I'm going to have to head to my job. Second, at the end of the day I'm going to have another job that I'll be working three times a week for a few hours. On an average day I probably won't be home until 8 at night. My stepmom and I both use this site to count our calories and will be no doubt fist fighting for it when we get home. I was wondering, any suggestions on how to keep up? I'm not sure how I'm going to do this because we're also going to have many responsibities at home. I know there are other people out there who have the same busy life so I was hoping to get some tips.
Sucks that now that I'm so motivated, this site is going to become a whole lot of complicated lol x(

Replies

• veggieheadie
    Options
    I always keep everything logged into an actual paper journal. That way I don't forget what I eat and don't eat when I'm away from my computer. It's helped me also keep track of why I want to eat when I do, because I can record my feelings quickly as well. Don't know if this helps, but I use MFP to get me started and my paper journal to keep me on track.
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I log my stuff the night before to make a plan for the next day. That way I can "budget" my calories and stick to an eating plan.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    maybe plan out your meals for the day the night before? Wake up a few minutes early and log the whole day. I usually plan out my breakfast and lunch the night before- sometimes even log it then. Keep it up, this site is so helpful! Best of luck!
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options
    I do the same think as kelly. I find that once it is logged, I feel more committed to it.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    I have a blackberry, so I am able to do some of the logging from the phone. I can't access everything though, and when I log food and exercise I can only use the stuff on the first page...it doesn't let me access the recent foods list. Can you get to a library or a friends house during your breaks? If not, it's a pain in the butt but definitely write it down. If you have a memo option on your cell you can type it in there too. Sorry, i'm a junkie when it comes to my phone :ohwell:
  • ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Since life is going to be so hectic for you I would plan ahead meaning prepare all meals in advance. When I was working ridiculous hours I went out and got a big lunch bag that was like a mini cooler with a strap on it. It held breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner on certain days. Plug in your days worth of food in the morning before you leave so you know what your working with for the rest of the day if someone comes in with a starbucks for you (just an example). I use to do all cooking on sunday nights, portion out all my food into containers so all I had to do was pack the bag. Good luck, you can do it!
  • maliyshka
    maliyshka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it :) You'll figure something out that works for you. It'll be really hard at first, but eventually, when you settle into even your new hectic routine, you'll be able to get a schedule going.

That sounded very similar to my schedule when I was in college and lost some weight. Up by 7 am, classes, worked pretty much full time, didn't get home until 8-9 usually, still had homework, and had to figure out how to fit working out into that schedule.

What worked for me:
    -Always have my food ready the day before. I used to carry tiny purses, but I got in the habit of wearing larger purses or totes because I ended up packing most of my food in my purse, ha!
    -Log stuff in a paper journal [you can get a little notepad that'll fit in your pocket & purse], write everything down, and put it in your diet log later.
    -Got used to working out late at night. I also had to turn my weekends into workout days instead of days off. Then, I'd only have to worry about throwing in 1-2 workouts during the week [I was aiming for working out 3-4x a week at that point]. If the work/school week was too hectic, I'd sometimes do a two-a-day on the weekends to make up for it, or just really intense workouts sat/sun.

You can do it!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you can prepare and log the foods the night before.

I have one of these big lunch bags/mini cooler, it's great.

If your a repeat eater like I am, I'll log foods for monday for example, Tuesday, and Wednesday I'm taking the same stuff for lunch/snacks, especially if I prepared lunches from leftovers on sunday etc.
  • MelissaLu
    MelissaLu Posts: 83
    Options
    Wow, okay! Thank you guys so much, you're all awesome! I definitly don't want to let this go lol. And yeah I was basically thinking that i'd have to log the calories in the night before or in the morning, you all just confirmed that was a good idea hehehe. Now I'm really motivated and I'm glad I posted this. Again thanks!
  • MelissaLu
    Options
    I have a blackberry, so I am able to do some of the logging from the phone. I can't access everything though, and when I log food and exercise I can only use the stuff on the first page...it doesn't let me access the recent foods list. Can you get to a library or a friends house during your breaks? If not, it's a pain in the butt but definitely write it down. If you have a memo option on your cell you can type it in there too. Sorry, i'm a junkie when it comes to my phone :ohwell:

LOL you make me want a blackberry. Maybe when I start making the good money I can afford one. that actually sounds a like a really good idea. Gives me an excuse to get one hehehe xD
  • maliyshka
    maliyshka Posts: 10 Member
    Options

LOL you make me want a blackberry. Maybe when I start making the good money I can afford one. that actually sounds a like a really good idea. Gives me an excuse to get one hehehe xD

There's an awesome app on the iphone that links up to your log directly :) I love love love it.

*shamelessly promoting iphone*

edit: That's actually how I found MFP, I was looking for an app to log my food/calories and MFP had pretty good ratings for a free app, and here I am!
  • debbieruth
    Options

I have a blackberry too, and when I have troubles with what to access, I jus log items in the form of an email, or note, save it to my phone, and add when I do have timw. :) (I have a blackberry curve 8900, and actually don't have many problems with what to do on MFP. Occasionally I do, but not very often. And I love it because it does help me stay on track!)

Even if you have just a regular phone though, just save it as a memo or note. If you don't, save it as a draft for a text message. :) There's always a way. :D
  • MelissaLu
    Options

I have a blackberry too, and when I have troubles with what to access, I jus log items in the form of an email, or note, save it to my phone, and add when I do have timw. :) (I have a blackberry curve 8900, and actually don't have many problems with what to do on MFP. Occasionally I do, but not very often. And I love it because it does help me stay on track!)

Even if you have just a regular phone though, just save it as a memo or note. If you don't, save it as a draft for a text message. :) There's always a way. :D

Shhh! You'll ruin my excuse! >_o I do have a really cheap phone though so even that would be really hard. I do plan on buying a better one in the near future so i'll definitly try it then
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    you can do it on the itouch too.
  • iwillweighlessoneday
    iwillweighlessoneday Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the Droid and I have the MFP app for that - and it works like a charm. I'd also log everything for the next day at night. I feel way more accountable that way.
  • GumbyAnne
    GumbyAnne Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't have any specific tips to offer, other than encouragement that IT CAN BE DONE.

I have lost 60 pounds in the last year and all the while I have been working 3 jobs, between 55 and 80 hours per week. You will have your weeks where is seems easy and those where it seems hard. Expect a lot from yourself, but also cut yourself some slack. I promise, you CAN do it.
  • MelissaLu
    Options
    I don't have any specific tips to offer, other than encouragement that IT CAN BE DONE.

I have lost 60 pounds in the last year and all the while I have been working 3 jobs, between 55 and 80 hours per week. You will have your weeks where is seems easy and those where it seems hard. Expect a lot from yourself, but also cut yourself some slack. I promise, you CAN do it.

Awww, thank you! I really appreciate it.
    Actually the more I think about it the more I think it might be easier to lose weight. I don't like to eat at all while I'm working and I'm only going to be having a thirty minute break. I do my best when I'm really busy and I'm not the type to eat when I'm under stress. Then again it depends on the environment but from what I hear it's going to be very hectic hence the only thirty minute break haha.