Torn meniscus surgery

Anyone ever have this? What was your recovery time? Were you able to resume such activities as running, skiing, and Crossfit after?

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    I've had the surgery twice, once on each knee. It wasn't bad at all. I was on crutches for the first day and that was it. I don't ski or run but was able to go back to yoga, Pilates, spin class etc. with no issues. Just be sure and follow your doctor's advice on activity. You'll feel great and want to jump back into it but you need to give it some time to heal internally. Don't worry-you'll be back at it before you know it!:flowerforyou:
    Take care!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    That's prob the easiest surgery to recover from in relation to the knee.
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 310 Member
    Currently recovering from it. I also had my knee cap cleaned up as it's shattered and eventually needs to be replaced. I'm 2 months in and I can exercise. However, I am unable to run or do inclines or stairs. Recovery is much slower than I had anticipated. I would avoid surgery if possible. Focus on strength! Good luck!
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    I thought I was going to need meniscal repair so I did tons of research and talked to a lot of people. I was VERY surprised to see just how many people have had this surgery!!! For most people the recovery is fast and they are able to resume all activities. One of my friends from work said now it's like her injury and surgery had never happened. She does tons of surfing, running, etc, and also spends a lot of time on her feet at work (we are nurses). I hope your surgery goes well!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,318 Member
    I had the torn meniscus surgery.

45 minutes, three tiny incisions (1/2 inch each). Two days on crutches, back to my on-my-feet-all-day job within a week and soooo glad I had it done.

Mine was twenty years ago, and I've had no further problem.
  • MissyFoster
    MissyFoster Posts: 2 Member
    I had this done last year this time and was back to my boot camp in about 4 weeks. I just had to work up to the full range of motion again. My only regret was not doing the surgery sooner. I put up with several months of pain before seeing the doctor about it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!