No exercise to start exercising question.

Options
I'd like to know what's the best recommendation to start with what exercises to do? I'm pretty out of the shape as I haven't exercise in years. Anyone?

Amy

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    start simple with walking every day.

then you can try to add in bodyweight squats, pushups, resistance band stuff.

If you have access to a decent gym thats the way to go
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals, your physical condition, your willingness to make time to exercise, the availability of a gym or a well-equipped home gym, etc.

But you can start walking an hour a day and begin to read up on exercise.
  • DeMimiaf
    DeMimiaf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ok, that makes sense.. I will try with walking first then add in more then..
  • LilRachelle
    Options
    I agree, walking is the best. You can also start with some very light weights, 1 or 2 pounds, or stretchy bands, for resistance training. Just ease into it, very light and easy to start. The more muscle you build, the faster you will lose weight. Good luck. :smile:
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k. (C25K). Google it. There are also apps and podcasts. It's brilliant. You could do a search on here to see how popular it is.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Speak to your dr to make sure you're choosing the right path. You should eat properly, too.
  • nahiluoh
    nahiluoh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Swimming is about the lowest impact exercise there is...that is, if you are a decent swimmer. Walking, as mentioned above, is highly underrated.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Back in July I hadn't done any meaningful exercise for almost 15 years :(

Back in the summer, I would never have imagined I would have achieved what I have this month - I have cycled 350km on my road bike plus hiking in the hills near where we live.

I did it by joining a gym. Starting with the elliptical trainer and the cycling machine at 10 minutes each and then gradually building it up. Two months in, I also started doing the C25K and added this to my gym routine. Then at the start of December I bought a new road bike and started cycling.

Its a case of finding something you enjoy. This is really important as it helps keep you motivated. Everyone is going to suggest their favourites (just as I have done).

The common theme is start slowly but build it up. You'll be amazed how quickly you improve.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I started walking every day in short increments of ten to fifteen minutes four to five times a day. I started jogging a couple steps as I felt I could. I also loaded up a baby stroller with bottles of water and pushed it all over , to add some resistance. I also used wii dance ddr games at the beginner levels every day. I pushed myself each day, only as much as I could, but I made sure each day was a little longer, or a little harder, etc. I waited until I was stronger and then I joined the gym
  • kinipela82
    kinipela82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    walking is good. If you want to join a gym try the elliptical. IT is the best way to get a good cardio work out. and it makes you energized. I started really slow! Did 20-30 min. of cardio and some light weights (natulus machine) I don't like running, so treadmill is only interval in fast walking and moderate walking. Good luck!
  • PinkRhythm428
    PinkRhythm428 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you. I just started exercising about a month ago and I knew walking would be an end to it before beginning (I find it boring, personally, and walking with two kids is just frustrating), so I just looked on Craigslist to see what I could find equipment-wise. I found an older model rowing machine and bought it. Let's just say that I'm addicted to my rowing machine. I only got about 10 minutes in the first day, and that was pushing it, but I was doing about 25-30 minutes before I got a respiratory cold. Now, I can't breath. Resistance bands are great, as well as weights and different machines. Just try until you find something you enjoy. My mom does long walks and exercise videos. She loves it.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to find something you enjoy doing, not just to do whatever you think you "should" be doing. I could never keep up an exercise program until I started martial arts classes. You can look in the exercise database if you want some creative ideas.
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. I love swimming too, if you like to swim and have access to a pool. I swam through all of my pregnancies and also after injuries.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options

Yep. I agree with this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i started walking with my dogs...first it was 15 minutes after dinner...then it was a half hour...then it was 15 mins in am and half hour at night now its 30 mins in am 30 mins in pm...elliptical 4 days a week...running 3 days a week....treadmill ...and whatever else i can do.....walking is a GREAT start!
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Start with walking. Add a 3 lbs dumbbell after a few weeks so you don't get bored. You can curl, punch and do overhead lifts to build your arms the same time you're working on your legs and cardio.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

This. Start slow. Walk, swim, bike. Add stuff on as you get more fit. Lift weights, add resistance to your cardio. You'll get there. :)
  • bonuskid40
    Options
    Walking is excellent to start. You have to eat right to lose weight. I had fantastic results using my Wii to exercise right after I quit smoking. I have since joined a gym with my husband. I haven't lost weight, but I also haven't been eating properly. That's my fault. I am more in shape, though, and I can breathe again. I can do 30 minutes on the elliptical machine very easily and sometimes do 45 minutes. I do that after I have warmed up for about 20 minutes with the machines. I feel so much better. I am more graceful and stronger. It's great and only costs $15.00 a month. Planet Fitness.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    When I first started my journey I was very out of shape and NEVER exercised. I would jog in place in my room with the radio on for as long as I could. In the beginning it was only for 5 minutes. But... every time I felt like I had been sitting too long or being lazy I would get up and do another 5 minutes. I would do this all through the day. 5 minutes here and there. I would do it doing commercials sometimes to. I love reading so I would tell myself ok you have to get up off your *kitten* and do 5-10 minutes before you can read another chapter or 2. Pretty soon I built up my endurance and could do 20-30 minutes at a time. I also would take 15-20 minute walks around the block weather permitting.