Gym-goers: The Resolutioner Apocalypse is Nigh Upon Us!

Options

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    3. We understand how awkward and uncomfortable they feel, so we can be there with our knowledge if they need us
    4. most of us are hanging on dearly to the hope that some of our loved ones that are making resolutions today will be among those that reach success, cause we want them here with us for a long time.

/thread
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Everybody has to start somewhere. I refuse to get all p*ssy about it

Oh I won't get p*ssy more like, oh, newbie, I better see you here in June!!!! :)
    See that works! :)
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Ohhh good...one of THESE threads again...
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    We were all newbies once...and I would have loved it if someone had encouraged me when I first started! In fact, since I'm still hit and miss (bad I know), I would STILL love to get some kind of encouragement from a regular at the gym.....Yes, I hate to walk into my gym and see it crowded, but that's just because I still consider myself a newbie, and it makes me a bit nervous to lift free weights with all the muscle bound regulars.....so I feel for the resolutioners struggling to get started. :) Hats off to them I say!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to stay away. My gym only has two Olympic bars. TWO!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I bet people think I am a newbie a few times a year but in all reality I am pretty dedicated, I only use the gym when other options/fitness rooms/ childcare opportunities are too tricky. I run, I do workouts at home, I use the fitness room at my school, I hike, or ice skate or do crazy intervals in between loads of wash.....but when I do use the gym I I do not want to be treated like a newbie.

I can speak to the mild aggravation of the "newbie" though. When my kids were a little younger I required the childcare more and even when I just needed to knock a few miles out on a beautiful day sometimes I had to hit a treadmill so my kids were cared for. I was pretty regular in our gym. I hated to be inconvenienced by someone walking slowly on a TM and chatting with a friend next to them when I had a minimum amount of time to get my **** done, get out of there etc. I wanted to encourage them to keep at it and do their best but mostly I needed them to clear the TM so I could get my work done.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    You know on the Discovery Channel, when allllllllllllllllllllllll the baby sea turtles come crawling on to the sand and waddling and flipping over each other to make it to safety.....? Well millions of baby noobs are rolling in about this time of year. It's best to get a good seat, occasionally flip one back right side up and basically just keep your fingers crossed that as many of them make it as possible.

This is no bad thing.

:heart: This! :flowerforyou:
  • Ebcanada
    Ebcanada Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't look foward to the influx of people (oh the crowds), but I do remember the uncertain feeling when I first crossed into the weight section of my local gym. I wish them the best...in away it maybe fun to watch them from day to day as they fall out or push on. So the answer is yes I will be there Jan 2.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    The more the merrier. Today's newbie may be March's eye candy :) We all started somewhere. In my case it was a pic of a fat guy cooking crabs on his birthday.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Things to remember - the influx helps keep your membership fees low. Also, everyone was new at one point in time, including you.

So instead of moaning and crying, maybe lend a helping hand to someone who might be nervous, shy, or faltering. Maybe because of your kindness, they'll turn into a regular as well as get more fit.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Last year I was a noob.. this year I have plans to be an inspiration. Bring it on.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Last year I was a noob.. this year I have plans to be an inspiration. Bring it on.

^ See..that is the attitude that would make me want to go to a gym and stay.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I go to a very small gym and while it gets frustrating this time of year, most of the regulars are warm and welcoming...always offering to lend a helping hand. I find that offering to WORK IN with a newbie allows you to make new friends while getting your work out in and helping them out if need be. I might be a regular but even I ask for spotters and help if needed from others.

We're not perfect but damn it, kudos to them for trying. BTW - if you are even remotely friendly, you may be surprised at how much influence you can have to keep them coming back...... and isn't that better than letting any ONE person give up???
  • Jentorres8814
    Jentorres8814 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid gym goer and with the influx of ppl it's a good time to make new friends with the same interests!!! You never know who your new gym partner or new regular may be. The 'noob' you may be seeing also could be someone who had to switch the times they come to the gym for personal reasons. I used to go to the gym at 6pm. I had to switch my times to 5am when the gym opened to I could train for my Ironman...I met so many new ppl at that time.

Just give an encouraging smile and watch out for those ppl who may be new. Your like the older brother/sister, there to help out if needed :heart:
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Its people like the OP that make me not get a gym membership. Luckily my apartments have a gym that I can use and the people there don't have an ego.
  • _KATzMeow
    _KATzMeow Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Things to remember - the influx helps keep your membership fees low. Also, everyone was new at one point in time, including you.

So instead of moaning and crying, maybe lend a helping hand to someone who might be nervous, shy, or faltering. Maybe because of your kindness, they'll turn into a regular as well as get more fit.

This^^ yeah whats up with the superior attitude op?
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I use my membership rarely so I'm a year-round noob. Way to demotivate me with the horror stories of early overcrowding, I was thinking of going tonight in hopes of beating the rush.
  • HeaDak3
    Options
    it's true, everyone has to start off somewhere.

I say go in there, show them how it's done and let them learn from the more experienced.

Don't we all want a more fit world full of fun?
  • TiffanyDeaneeM89
    TiffanyDeaneeM89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well I decided to not waste the Real Gym-Goers time and just stay home. My resolution is to finish the turbo fire that has been siting on my book shelf for about 3 months now, gathering dust.
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'll be there either way it goes!