Problems with ambition!

Options
Hence the username, haha. I have a HUGE problem sticking to a routine. I'll write out a detailed plan with down to the minute instructions, I'll even give myself leeway and low goals. My problem is I'll stick to one track for a day or two, and then I'll have a moment of weakness that snowballs into total apathy.

The only reason I managed to lose weight at all was because I made changes for myself that I couldn't slide back on. I got a temporary job that was really intense manual labor for long hours, and I couldn't leave because I had committed myself to it. I became a vegetarian and slowly became turned off to the taste of meat, so now those cravings are no longer a control issue.

But now I've plateaued, and since I'm no longer massively overweight and I am somewhat happy with my body, I'm finding it difficult to inspire that desperation in myself again.

This isn't just a weight loss thing either, I have the same problem with household stuff, quitting smoking, and my schoolwork, back when I had it. It's not a lack of motivation, I am extremely motivated! It's just so tempting to not even try.

Does anyone have any tips for disciplining yourself when every instinct in your brain yells at you to just quit?

Replies

• fwalz3
    fwalz3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I see you've lost 66 lbs, so you obviously have a bit of ambition. When I can't get in the mood to work out and such I go to youtube and search "fitness motivation". It usually helps get my eye back on the goal.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I got a temporary job that was really intense manual labor for long hours, I couldn't leave because I had committed myself to it.

There's your answer. Become your own boss. Don't let yourself have the option of giving up until you are totally happy with your body and yourself. No on is going to be able to tell you what works for YOU, only what works for them. What works for me? Knowing that 110% I will be successful in reaching my goal. Even through the bumps and slips, there is not a shred of doubt in my mind, and that keeps me going.
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    In those moments when I'm feeling really unmotivated, I realize that's the moment when it's most important to get off my butt. I've made a rule for myself that, whenever I find myself trying to justify not working out, I need to just stop dead in my tracks and do it anyway.
  • lemanuelthelazy
    lemanuelthelazy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Good tips, I will keep it all in mind to stay on track and not cheat myself out of time!