Help with exercises

Options
So, got my first weight bench. The problem is that I still have no idea of what I should be doing with it (other than chest presses). Fun, isn't it?
My bench looks pretty much like the one below, (without the guy) :-D

1.jpg

I've looked at exercise videos online and realized that I cannot do most of those exercises. Can't do pull-ups, push-ups, chin-ups... AT ALL! And I can't lift my own weight. I'm 5'9, still 47 lbs overweight, and having a large frame, even at my ideal weight, I would still be heavy (170 lbs). The most I can lift for now is a 50 lb (chest press), 100 lb (bent over barbell roll), 15 lbs each arm (bicep curls), and 60 lbs (leg extension). Haven't really tried any other exercises. Gym is not an option and can't afford a trainer. I'm more interested in workouts for my upper body and mid-section, because after my daily 7-8 miles walk, my legs are already feeling like jell-o, and the walk is something I actually enjoy doing. I have a treadmill and stationary bike, but prefer to walk or ride outdoors, unless it's raining. I would like to know what exercises I can do from home with the equipment I have (also free weights, barbells, resistance bands), and with what frequency I should be doing them. I don't want to waste time doing it wrong, because exercise is not something I enjoy doing.
Most times, the answers to these questions are. "I do this, and this, and that", usually from super fit people who have the strength to do pretty much any exercise. Please keep in mind that I'm a beginner, overweight, not used to exercises and don't have the strength to do many of the exercises that super fit people can do.
Thanks in advance!
:-)

Replies

• lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I know you said you work your legs enough- but the best lifts you can do are compound lifts- squats, lunges, deadlifts, rows, overhead presses, chest presses, pull ups (since you can't do these yet, do rows! do push ups! until you get to where you can do a pull up). Isolation exercises are ok and have their place. I do isolations, including leg and tricep presses, curls, among others. They're not useless, especially if you're going for a "look." But compound lifts are going to be your real body changers, because you'll be using all (or many parts of) your body at the same time.

I really don't know what to tell you about frequency. I lift 3x a week, 60 -75 minutes each time. You would benefit from 2x a week 30 min sessions, I'm sure. Focus on the compound lifts if you want to keep the workout to a minimum. I'd ramble more but I have to go somewhere. :)
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    ps, squats even without weights are amazing exercises. Start with an empty bar even, if you have to, for some of these.
  • thaislcrd
    thaislcrd Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I don't really think I work my legs enough. I simply get too tired, or my legs get too weak after my walk, for me to feel like doing anything else. I walk early in the morning, and in the afternoon I don't really feel like exercising. I would probably have to walk less or even skip my walk in order to do lower body exercises. Being in FL it's kind of hard to walk any other time of the day, because it's just too hot!
    I know you said you work your legs enough- but the best lifts you can do are compound lifts- squats, lunges, deadlifts, rows, overhead presses, chest presses, pull ups (since you can't do these yet, do rows! do push ups! until you get to where you can do a pull up). Isolation exercises are ok and have their place. I do isolations, including leg and tricep presses, curls, among others. They're not useless, especially if you're going for a "look." But compound lifts are going to be your real body changers, because you'll be using all (or many parts of) your body at the same time.

I really don't know what to tell you about frequency. I lift 3x a week, 60 -75 minutes each time. You would benefit from 2x a week 30 min sessions, I'm sure. Focus on the compound lifts if you want to keep the workout to a minimum. I'd ramble more but I have to go somewhere. :)
  • floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    There are a few books you can get if you can't find information online. I like New Rules of Lifting for Women, Thinner Leaner Stronger, and A Woman's guide to Muscle and Strength.

All three books have good pictures and plans to get you started on your journey!
  • thaislcrd
    Options
    Thanks!
    There are a few books you can get if you can't find information online. I like New Rules of Lifting for Women, Thinner Leaner Stronger, and A Woman's guide to Muscle and Strength.

All three books have good pictures and plans to get you started on your journey!
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Preacher Curs
    Spider Curls
    Incline Curls
    Barbell Curls
    Dumbbell Flys
    Incline Dumbbel Flys
    Incline Bench Press
    Dumbbell Rows
    Barbbell Rows
    Spider Rows
    Leg Extentions
    Uni-Reverse Leg Extention
    Incline Tricep Extentions

just a couple you could do. Im going from the picture.
  • thaislcrd
    Options
    Wow! That's a whole new vocabulary!
    Preacher Curs
    Spider Curls
    Incline Curls
    Barbell Curls
    Dumbbell Flys
    Incline Dumbbel Flys
    Incline Bench Press
    Dumbbell Rows
    Barbbell Rows
    Spider Rows
    Leg Extentions

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    strong lifts 5x5
  • adianeschu
    adianeschu Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's a whole new vocabulary!
    Preacher Curs
    Spider Curls
    Incline Curls
    Barbell Curls
    Dumbbell Flys
    Incline Dumbbel Flys
    Incline Bench Press
    Dumbbell Rows
    Barbbell Rows
    Spider Rows
    Leg Extentions

there i more but I can't think of it atm
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    This might be useful -- http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

You can click on the "Female" tab at each exercise for the female version.
  • thaislcrd
    Options
    Very helpful link. Thanks!
    This might be useful -- http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

You can click on the "Female" tab at each exercise for the female version.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    google Youtube weight bench exercises
  • thaislcrd
    Options
    Finding the exercises is not the hardest part. What is hard is to figure out is which muscle groups to work each day, frequency, weight, sets and reps.
    google Youtube weight bench exercises