Diet Coke??

Options
What's the deal with this?! Bad? Harmless? Good Substitute?
I know that soda should be cut out--but what about diet soda?? No calories. No sodium. No fat.

There has to be a catch right?

Sarah

Replies

• skinnyjess00
    skinnyjess00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    everyone thinks different things about it-- some people think there's a connection between aspertame and cancer but that's really the only thing i can find wrong with it. anything in moderation is fine!
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I drink a diet pop a couple of times a week as a treat to me as I like to sit down once in a while and have a pop. I don't know if it's bad but I like it and I never use it as a substitute for my water. I always drink all of my water before I drink a pop. That's just me though.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    a couple of things. it does have sodium. Aspartame has been linked to creating sugar cravings because although it tastes sweet your body isn't getting the sugar affect and it then it wants sugar. As an occasional thing it probably isn't so bad but not as a substitue for water for sure.
  • jng039
    jng039 Posts: 5
    Options
    I can't give up my diet soda. I eat less when I drink it. Only thing I do know is that it makes you bloated! My stomach is visibly smaller if I don't have soda that day. Fo real!! So if I know Im going swimming or something, I'll try to stay away from the pop that day. Otherwise, it doesn't change my calorie intake so in my book it's allllll good!:happy:
  • Pinksapphire74
    Options
    If you want soda Diet Rite has several different falvors, no calories, no soduim and no sugar, it uses splenda instead.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation. my thing isn't so much the sugar as it is the carbonation.

Anything carbonated is acidic, so your body is forced to neutralize this acidity. The way it does that is to leach alkaline substances from your bones.

in short, carbonation is damaging to bones. but of course that's only if you have a lot of it.

While diet soda has absolutely no redeeming qualities, in moderation, there's not much harm.
  • aionsnow
    aionsnow Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I admit it... I am a diet coke junkie. I always need a fix...
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    It is basically just chemicals and has no nutritional value. I have more to say, but that will have to wait.
  • drblythe
    drblythe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love Diet coke.

Though I recently noticed that I had developed a bit of a dependancy on it .
    I would only drink like one glass or can a day, but if i didn't get that glass it wasn't pretty.

The caffeine and artificial sweeteners (which are pretty much worse than sugar) are totally addictive.

I would say don't get in the habit of drinking it regularly, in moderation is fine though (like most things).

I'm on day 2 of now caffeine and i have a killer headache! Not as bad as I thought it would be though :)
  • NinaMyers
    NinaMyers Posts: 37
    Options
    I recently kicked the diet coke habit

My god, the caffeine addiction headaches were unreal!!

Will have an odd on now and again, but it's mainly water for me now