Just feel like giving up

Options
So, ive been exercising steady since january, havent lost anything....well i had gained back 8 pounds from sept to december, so i lost that back, but now im at a standstill at 159 lbs and i am not budging....im so depressed about it cause i feel like i exercise more than anyone i know, and yet the scale is not moving.....i just dont know what to do anymore....i feel so depressed that im almost wanting to take crazy diet pills or become an anorexic......i obviously would not do this, but i just feel like in order to lose weight i have to completely starve myself and it is soooo hard.......i just feel like the only way i will ever lose weight is if i stop eating all together.....im just so sad.....it just seems so unfair that all my skinny friends dont work out a day in their life, they eat mcdonalds and they remain at like 120 lbs.....how is this even possible.....i just feel like all this hard work is going down the drain...and all i want is to be fit and down to roughly 120-130's.....im sorry im probly just complaining, but its just discouraging for me......thanks for listening

Replies

• Garza
    Garza Posts: 3
    Options
    I have been dieting and exercising for a long time now and nothing seems to be working for me, but I just keep on telling myself to keep on going. I know how you feel, believe me. Don't give up because this is not just for a while, it's a change for life. You can do this and maybe you have not lost any pounds now, but just think how your heart must be with all the changes you have made. It's not just about losing the weight, but also about making your heart strong to be able to live a healthier and longer life. Hope this helped you a bit. You can do it!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Maybe you just need to change things up a bit. Have you used the tools here to set your calorie goals? I found them to be fairly accurate, for me, anyway. Also, I think it really helps to log all my foods and exercise. Have you tried that? Hang in there! You will succeed!
  • alissaanne
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? You might be losing inches but gaining muscle therefore weight?? Just a thought...I hope you get to feeling better :)
  • anwickes
    anwickes Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi there... DONT give up.... Think about why you are here and what benefit would come from throwing in the towel.
    I can guarantee that nothing good comes with being overweight and unhealthy!!

You mention your exercise which sounds fantastic but you didn't say much about what you're putting in your mouth. This may be the problem?

Have a read of this.... It always gets me out of the "give up" moods...(and trust me, I've had plenty).

http://www.colonhealth.net/weight_loss/Mental_Toughness_for_Permanent_Weight_Loss.html

Good luck... We are all here for you :)
  • elizabennett
    Options
    I'm right there with you. My weight won't drop below 150, which is 1 lb less than I started in January. Pretty much every single morning it is 150.8. Seriously, like every day. I am working out tons, I am sticking to my calories. I'm even trying to adjust the ratio of protein/carbs/fats. I feel like giving up today too! But don't. We'll stick it out and somehow, eventually we'll start losing. It makes me feel better to know I am not alone and I have someone in the same boat sticking it out too. Remember how much better we feel, how much healthier we are and that alone is worth it. We should become friends to offer each other even more support! Keep your head up. You can do this!
  • lovelypen50
    lovelypen50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up. You have to keep going and keep pushing, and then go some more and push some more. It's not all about that number on the scale. It should be about how you feel, like since you are working out, do you feel more energetic and more healthy? We're all on this journey to motivate and encourage each other. I know it's hard some days, but you have to keep going, and you know what, I believe you will keep going. (you can and will succeed) Take care and Stand fast.
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    hey hows the journalling going? I worked out 4-5 days a week for 1 1/2 years and didn't lose anything. Started journalling and it has made a big impact. Since January I have lost 15 pounds which doesn't sound like that much, but nothing before that. Are you drinking enough water? If you really feel like you are doing everything right, try the measurements and if that doesn't work, maybe you need to see a doctor. Frustrating, yes, but you can do it! We have to find it within ourselves! Don't give up!:flowerforyou:
  • mxburke
    mxburke Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the inspiring words....i know i can do it, i just have terrible days were i just feel like nothing is changing. I do know that journalling my foods is probably what i have to do. I dont keep track in any way, and i figure it probably is what i am eating. But i honestly feel like a food addict, i love eating, and it is so hard for me to give up some of the things that i love.....anyhow, thanks again for supporting me guys, thi has really helpt, and as for the exercise, it does in fact make me feel much better overall....i just wish the pounds would come off, but im sure its just due to my eating...