Atkins VS South Beach

Options
Hey all, just wanted a little input on which plan you think is better for someone trying to lose 100 lbs. I have the atkins book, and I started reading it last night, going through the phases. I don't have the South Beach book, but I have heard the only difference would be fruit? Not sure if that is correct or not. My biggest problem is carbs, because I love to eat them! lol When I start to do so well, staying away from carbs, I lose, but as soon as I start eating the carbs again, I gain quickly~! I have a long road ahead of me, 100 lbs is my goal right now but I probably wont stop there. I am just trying to explore some different options, to help me with eating. I know some people don't agree with either plans, and that's fine, but I am just trying to hear some views on it. No lecturing is needed, because I just want opinions from others. Thank You :happy:

Replies

• miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with carbs, its just how much of them you eat and what type.

Diets that cut out carb works, but as you said you gain the weight back when you stop doing the diet and start eating the carbs.

I did a lettuce diet once for my wedding, and it worked, but gained everything back.

Now I eat carbs....but for rice I stick to brown rice, and I eat whole wheat flour etc....and I cut down my portions.

You cant go through life without any type of carbs...so find ways to incorporate it in your diet, but just in healthier portions

Sorry, I dont know anything about those two diets, except they work when you are on them but people gain once they stop...thats the results I have heard from different people

Goodluck:smile:
  • jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Also another difference is in the meats and cheeses, SB you use LEAN MEATS and rf or ff cheeses! The first 2 weeks of SB you cant have fruits either they are pretty much the same but after the first 2 weeks with Atkins you count carbs with SB no counting of carbs or calories!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I agree with what Miqisha is saying, that carbs really aren't your enemy. The important thing is to properly fuel your body and turn it into a fat burning machine :-)

Honestly, I don't know much about the South Beach Diet. However, I did the Atkins diet almost a decade ago and my cholesterol levels were high as a result of eating practically nothing but meat. And, like you, I gained it all back and then some because yeah, I missed the carbs. I started the diet then weighing 196 lbs and wasn't able to get below 181 (yeah, pity me right....). When I stopped the diet, back up I went and then some...was at 205 lbs....cholesterol was at 216 and was worried I'd end up on lipitor like my father. Anyhow, around that time, I was watching celebrity fit club and became familiar with the Fat Smash Diet.....now, I know it sounds a little hokey, but it really did work, and a lot of the concepts associated with it I still hold on to (portion control especially)....the whole eat as many fruits and vegetables as you like theory was perfect, especially since I like sweet tasting food. So, if you wanna try that route, I can get a copy on .pdf to you to see for yourself....otherwise, best of luck to you!
  • tinabosquez
    tinabosquez Posts: 107
    Options
    I agree with what Miqisha is saying, that carbs really aren't your enemy. The important thing is to properly fuel your body and turn it into a fat burning machine :-)

Honestly, I don't know much about the South Beach Diet. However, I did the Atkins diet almost a decade ago and my cholesterol levels were high as a result of eating practically nothing but meat. And, like you, I gained it all back and then some because yeah, I missed the carbs. I started the diet then weighing 196 lbs and wasn't able to get below 181 (yeah, pity me right....). When I stopped the diet, back up I went and then some...was at 205 lbs....cholesterol was at 216 and was worried I'd end up on lipitor like my father. Anyhow, around that time, I was watching celebrity fit club and became familiar with the Fat Smash Diet.....now, I know it sounds a little hokey, but it really did work, and a lot of the concepts associated with it I still hold on to (portion control especially)....the whole eat as many fruits and vegetables as you like theory was perfect, especially since I like sweet tasting food. So, if you wanna try that route, I can get a copy on .pdf to you to see for yourself....otherwise, best of luck to you!

Are you talkiing about VH1 celebrity Fit club? I knew that they always told them to find their stuff online, but I couldn't find their meal plans online. Instead, I found the Dr. Ian 50 million pounds challenge. If you could somehow send me the fat smash diet, I would love to look at it and learn about it. Thanks.
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options
    I lost most of my initial weigh this time using South Beach. I like it a lot. The only thing I had a problem with was the processed meats (deli meats) but most of the other foods can be eaten in whole, clean form.

I'm now doing my own hybrid of The Eat Clean Diet and South Beach. Eat Clean is similar to SBD phase 2, in my opinion. The biggest difference is the type of foods and carrying food with me all day so I can eat small meals every 2 hours. It also includes lots of healthy fats in the form of milled flaxseed.

I honestly think Atkins, at least the way I did it 10 years or so ago, is not very healthy. The right carbs, the right fats, the right nutrients are so important for overall health and wellness. Eating carbs is not unhealthy. Eating refined, processed carbs is. Even things like whole grain pasta or 12 grain bread aren't the best of choices. Steel cut oats and quinoa FABULOUS ways to get healthy carbs into your day. I like both with a chopped apple and cinnamon, any time of day :)

I found this on the web, it's a nice quick overview of the Eat Clean Diet foods. You eat 5-6 times a day.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/12212792/Cooler-1-Checklist-2B-Landscape

That's for cooler 1, the plan to get you the highest amount of weight loss. There are coolers 2 and 3, it's very similar to the SBD plan, you add dairy back in on cooler 2. That website I linked to has a cooler 2 checklist as well.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in here. I have read both Atkins and South Beach amongst other forms of nutritional approaches...

It comes down to this – required carb levels vary highly by person. Eliminating or reducing them for spans of time WILL contribute to weight loss for many people. However, over time you may find the need to increase your carbohydrate levels to meet your needs. The concern around carbohydrate in excess is that it can contribute to high blood sugar levels, insulin spikes, weight gain. This effect varies widely by person. Some DO need to stay in a very low carbohydrate diet (ketogenic) for health concerns (i.e. diabetes, ADHD, epilepsy) BUT this should not be done without the consult of a medical professional and this doesn’t represent most people…ANYWAY…

That aside, the big difference between Atkins and SB is fat, not protein.

Atkins emphasizes a HIGH FAT diet, moderate protein, very low carb (initially).
    SB emphasizes a HIGH PROTEIN diet, and a greater allowance of carbohydrate.

If you are in Atkins phase 1, you are eating a meat and egg-centric diet. Your vegetable choices are limited to greens and cruciferous veggies (cabbage, broccoli) for their relatively low carbohydrate content. Fruits are limited due to naturally occurring sugars. Atkins seems to catch a lot of crap in most standard nutritional communities, unless they’re a “low carb” focus community.

If you’re in SB phase 1, you’re eating mostly veggies, fruits, nuts, lean proteins. Not much fat.

Side note: If it bears the SB or Atkins name and it’s a processed food product, it’s marketing hype and is bad for you.

I’ve tried both approaches. Both still require exercise and portion control – they’re definitely no easy cure-all. Yes, you lose weight rapidly, but they’re not sustainable over time – nor should they be. I disliked SB, liked Atkins more. I agree to an extent with Dr. Atkins (and others in the low carb field) that fat isn’t necessarily your enemy. It’s a highly satiating nutrient, pending you’re obtaining it from whole food sources and are aware of portions. SB left me hungry  but others may enjoy it. Personal preference, I suppose.

Over time, your goal should be to look for a more balanced diet. I had put on some weight recently due to bad food choices and a busy schedule, and tried and true, I cut the sugar, grains, and refined crap and I’m back to feeling good. Sugar and refined starches do much more damage on my cholesterol levels (namely LDL and triglycerides) – found that out after following a standard “healthy” higher carb (more than 45% of calories) diet.

As an aside, I’ve had bloodwork done while eating a high fat diet. High HDL, low LDL, moderate overall blood cholesterol levels. I don’t tell my doctor how I eat. It’ll just end up in an argument about how fat is awful for you. A REAL concern with extended very/low carbing has more to do with thyroid function and body temperature. You may experience low body temp / poor thyroid function, so if this is a concern for you (existing condition) and you want to low-carb, PLEASE make sure to monitor it.

In the past month or so, I’ve went back to eating a tried & true whole foods diet – meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts, some dairy, limited grains, little to no sugar. About 20% carbohydrate, 50% fat, 30% protein daily. It’s good and I’m losing the weight I [stupidly] put on.
  • jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt mind seein the Fat smash diet PDF Ive seen his meal plan on 50 million lb challege which i think is great its just not very specific!
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options

Over time, your goal should be to look for a more balanced diet. I had put on some weight recently due to bad food choices and a busy schedule, and tried and true, I cut the sugar, grains, and refined crap and I’m back to feeling good. Sugar and refined starches do much more damage on my cholesterol levels (namely LDL and triglycerides) – found that out after following a standard “healthy” higher carb (more than 45% of calories) diet.

I'm confused. How do sugar and refined startches fall into any "helathy" higher carb diet? I'm assuming you mean sugar in it's processed, granulated form and not fruit?
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with carbs, its just how much of them you eat and what type.

Diets that cut out carb works, but as you said you gain the weight back when you stop doing the diet and start eating the carbs.

I did a lettuce diet once for my wedding, and it worked, but gained everything back.

Now I eat carbs....but for rice I stick to brown rice, and I eat whole wheat flour etc....and I cut down my portions.

You cant go through life without any type of carbs...so find ways to incorporate it in your diet, but just in healthier portions

Sorry, I dont know anything about those two diets, except they work when you are on them but people gain once they stop...thats the results I have heard from different people

Goodluck:smile:

As far as this statement goes, if you go on ANY diet, including MFP and start bad eating habits up again you will gain weight. You have to accept whatever you do as a lifestyle change.

Tina - I personally prefer South Beach. I just started Phase 1 today. You aren't allowed any fruits but you are allowed LOTS of veggies, beans, low fat dairy and cheeses and meats. I prefer South Beach over Atkins because on Atkins you are more limited on the good foods you can eat. People on Atkins tend to have higher cholesterol levels because they eat more fat. South Beach concentrates on lowering your cholesterol by eating lower fat foods. On South beach you are on Phase 1 for two weeks just like Atkins but you can eat more foods. Phase 2 of South Beach you add in whole fruits and whole grains. It's very easy to stick with. Phase 3 lets you add in a bit more for a healthy lifestyle, which is pretty much how I eat with MFP now. I'm going to do Phase 1 and 2 though to bump up my weight loss :) Good luck to you in whatever you choose!!!
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    I think that south beach will be easier to maintain in the long run. I can't imagine doing Atkins for life! My husband has had great success with Atkins, BUT he has had success MANY times. When he stops...the weight goes back on. FAST.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    ok if anyone's interested in a .pdf file of fat smash, send me your e-mail address, I'll attach the file....some pages aren't perfect but all the concepts and ideas are there.....and no, it's not a scam, nuisance, phishing, anything, just make sure you already have adobe installed lol
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

I'm confused. How do sugar and refined startches fall into any "helathy" higher carb diet? I'm assuming you mean sugar in it's processed, granulated form and not fruit?

Sugar, starches, and grains in general. I think I'm sarcastically referring to those as defined as "healthy" like honey, agave, breads, etc - do me more harm than good.
  • ScottHightower
    Options
    Try the carb rotation diet, there is plenty of info online. I found one book here:
    http://thebestdietbookstore.com/the-best-diet-ebooks/

Good Luck!!!
    Scott
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I also agree with the other poster ... I lost weight doing Atkins maybe 10 years ago. Then gained it back, because I love some bread, rice & pasta every now and then! Went with Weight Watchers so i COULD have a little of the healthy carbs. Love it. I do think South Beach is kind of an "updated" version of Atkins. Seems healthier - you can't just eat unlimited red meat and bacon! Lol... You're supposed to be eating leaner meats. Sounds smarter to me. I think the key is, you gotta find something you can really LIVE with. It's supposed to be life changes that change your way of eating forever. I must forever have bread. :tongue:
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    My understanding is that South Beach is a "heart healthy" Atkins. Atkins allows you to have any kind of meat for the most part, but South Beach promotes lower fat meats. I had some success with South Beach, but found that my metabolism slowed down quite a bit after a few rounds of South Beach. I always dropped a lot of weight fast - but it came back on and then some when I was done.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    My understanding is that South Beach is a "heart healthy" Atkins. Atkins allows you to have any kind of meat for the most part, but South Beach promotes lower fat meats. I had some success with South Beach, but found that my metabolism slowed down quite a bit after a few rounds of South Beach. I always dropped a lot of weight fast - but it came back on and then some when I was done.

But there aren't really any "rounds" to it. That is the problem. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. You have to stick with the program, which phase 3 is simple. You're allowed quite a bit of healthy carbs (Which is what you should be eating on any eating plan). You can't just go off it and expect to lose/maintain weight. Same thing with low fat or low calorie or anything else. Once you stop that behavior you are going to gain weight. If a person thinks they can't commit to eating a smaller amount of carbs and making the ones you do eat healthy ones, then a low carb eating plan is probably not for you.
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I lost a few years ago on the Atkins but gained it back. It was difficult for me to stick with it. I am a carb lover. There are a lot of books about what we should/should not have to lose weight. I am finally accepting a lifestyle change and working on better food choices with portion control. I don't like a lot of different foods so I am trying to adjust my diet to what I like to eat...I am building my lifestyle change with an attitude that includes portion control and exercise. It is okay to have a treat and not beat yourself up. I am losing weight slowly but hope it will stay off this time. Good luck.
  • Twinmommy13
    Options
    OK I think the main thing that everyone is missing here is that whether you do Atkins or SB its is lifestyle change NOT a diet. The first 2 weeks are used to rid your body of the sugars and level your blood sugar levels. Personally I have done both. I have lost weight on both and BOTH were recommended by my doctor due to me having insulin resistance. Meaning my body cannot process carbs well so it send my blood sugar to uncontrollable levels. As long as you follow the plan and find out what your body can and cannot do it will work and you will take it off!! The thing to remember is that life happens and MOST people are addicted to carbs due to the great increase in fast foods and the hype of sugary desserts and such and that is fine. BUT carbs (meaning an excess of ANY carb good or bad) is killing us and we need to step back and look at WHAT and HOW much of what we are eating affects us.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    I HATE NO-CARB DIETS!! no, really, i do. these only work well for people if their normal diet is typically made up of mostly meat and dairy. for example, i have a friend who LOVES steaks, meat of any kind really, cheese and milk products but hates veggies and fruits. this diet is perfect for him because he doesn't need to do much to change the way he eats. however, i love fruit and some veggies, but i rarely eat meat except for chicken and fish and even then not very often. i tried the Atkins diet once a few years ago with my parents. it ended badly. :)

basically; i believe if you want to lose more than 30lbs, you need a plan that is relatively easy to stick with and doesn't modify your current habits too drastically. I love weight watchers because the point system helps you stay healthy while still enjoying some of the things you love - but in moderation.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    My dad has been on Atkins two or three times and always gains the 100+ lbs. he lost. It's just not a maintainable diet... I don't like either. If you're on MFP, just put in your information and goals and go by what MFP recommends for you. There are several people on here who have lost 100+ lbs. this way!!!