P90X or Insanity?

Options
Which of these (if any) is better for the beginner, and which is better for someone with limited "space" to work out in?

Replies

• Matt_Wilken
    Options
    PROS with P90X:
    -Lots of different exercises, variations of push ups.
    -You will see improvement in your build.
    -If your looking to change up your routine and try out different exercises AND HAVE TOLERANCE for listen to him talk waaay too much I'd recommend it.
    -They provide the "Voice off" option
    -They show you modified versions of the every move to allow you to workout either without the equipment or if your traveling and couldn't bring it with you.
    -My biceps and triceps did get decent pumps on the workouts.

CONS
    -Requires you to buy a lot workout equipment.
    If you're on this forum you may already have dumbbells. If you don't have a big stability ball and don't want to buy one you could get by without it. You'll need a pull up bar and good place for it. For most of the program I didn't have it until recently when I moved my cable crossovers back into the house which had a pull up bar mounted on it. If you don't want to get it you can use resistance bands.
    -For some of the workouts it felt like I could have workout out the particular body parts more at the end.
    -Tony's talk can get annoying. A lot of it is off topic. They do have the voice off option though.

PROS with INSANITY:

-Will help you achieve weight loss
    -Will get your cardio to a new level
    -If you complete the program give you confidence in tackling other physical goals
    -No equipment necessary other than good shoes and workout clothes (clothes is optional if that's your thing )

CONS with INSANITY:

-Pre-existing injuries might flare up. Lots of jumping type exercises which you might have to modify if you have any knee or ankle injuries.
    -Need to select a decent workout area in your home you don't have worry about getting sweat on (not much of an issue but something to think about)
    -From reading some reviews on the program several reviewers reported losing a good bit of muscle doing INSANITY.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    If I had a big enough livingroom where I could bring weights and not be afraid to break the tile I would chose p90x. The results seem better for a skinny person like me trying to bulk up. I did insanity for one month and lost a lot of weight(ridiculously a lot). One guy even asked me if I was on meth. So basically it all depends on your goals and what you are trying to accomplish with your body.
  • ericapabis
    ericapabis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great post Matt! These are both advanced exercise programs so a beginner will have to modify a lot of the moves but will still get results. I recommend Insanity before P90x especially since all the exercises are body weight & for a small space. I recommend even more for a beginner Biggest Loser Dvds or Jillian Michael's Body Revolution program because it is progressive & starts off a lot easier :)
  • christopherpm
    christopherpm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments so far. Weight loss is not my goal - I achieved that (last year now!), and for me it's now about:-

1) Increased fitness - especially as I am hoping to run 3 marathons this year
    2) Toning up and looking good - I don't ever want to look like a weight lifter / body builder, but I would like good definition all over and a six pack (if I can get it)
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Insanity would definitely help burn off your belly fat and make your abs more visible. Of course nutrition is what would help the most for that. P90X can also get you ripped and not all bulky(unless you use steroids). By looking at your picture I think P90X would be better for you. Either one is really good. Just flip a coin lol.
  • the_new_robin2016
    the_new_robin2016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Might be better off just going to the gym and weight lifting. Thing about videos is they are BORING! I've done my share of them and am actually attempting Insanity again (got bored after month one but i want to actually say i finished it). There are plenty of apps you can get to help with weight lifting if you have a smart phone. But yea if you really want some muscle results get a gym membership.
  • Matt_Wilken
    Options
    OP, if you want to gain some mass and achieve a six pack I would suggest doing weight lifting at the gym. P90X and Insanity is great to get you fit but neither of them adds enough resistance to tear muscle fiber to gain proper muscle mass.

I understand you don't want to look like a lifter, but trust me it doesn't happen overnight and once you get to rub you finger tips over your abs you will never look back.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I'd go wP90x. I have done both. Started with P90x. You will learn he discipline of a program with this schedule, and will learn about working on different parts of your body every day and about what moves work for you. And you will learn alot of good stretching and yoga that will help keep you from injurning yourself. The pullups and pushups and "weight" workouts are tough. The cardio is interesting; there is varying debate on how challenging all the cardio is for people....but at first it should be; you can always substitute other cardio you like on those days if you aren't into it. I was at goal weight when I started this program and was impressed by the results. I don't look like one of those before/after photos, but felt great, so did it for another 90 days......

The cons, it's long. It's hard. A lot of people do not like the yoga. I didn't at first but then after about 6 weeks my attitude changed when my back stopped hurting. Some people mentioned Tony is annoying--I don't really think so--I liked him, but if you want to turn off his chatter, I believe there is an option to do that.

Insanity--is very hard. I am doing this now. Personally I did not like Cardio everyday, so I started to do this along with a weight program and alternate days, otherwise all the jumping and pounding would be too much. I do like Shaun T a lot. I actually love his stretching and balance and core moves and am learning a lot from the program. But after about 8 weeks of this in my hybrid, again, I'm at goal weight, I don't really see any changes in how my body looks. I think if you have a ton of weight to lose, this would be a great choice. I don't think I would do this untess you had some weight training in there too--a reason why I would try P90x first if I were you.....

Oh, for those who mentioned going to the gym? I'm just not a gym person--not sure if the OP is---and it's nice to have a DVD tell you what to do--especially if you are new to weight training----it's all personal preference.....I would never go to one; it's quicker and easier from home.

Oh neither require a ton of space, you just need to have enough to be able to go into plank so you don't kick anything :), and that's enough to leap around on the jumping and plyometrics.

Good luck!