Fitbit and MFP different Calories left for the day?

Options
I just got my Fitbit 3 days ago and started MFP yesterday! I have been working out daily and it now tells me on Fitbit that I have: "479 out of 970 Cals" that I can still eat today.
On MFP, it says, "854 Calories remaining (Goal 1200, Food +491, Exercise -145 Net 346)

I would like to lose 2 pounds a week. Is it better to go by the FB numbers, which is less, or by the MFP numbers? Obviously, it seems like the FB would get me there faster, however, I am not sure if the lower count will put me into "starvation mode".

Replies

• corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit will adjust your numbers as the day goes by and tells you whether you are on track for meeting your goal, over, or under, and it will further adjust depending on how much you walk/run/climb stairs. Because it's so much more individualized than MFP, which uses pretty generic numbers, I use the Fitbit's estimates. That said, I have my goal set to one pound a week (if I lose more, great). I find that the Fitbit gauge, for me anyway, is too difficult to achieve at higher rates of weight loss (both in terms of how much I eat and how much I exercise off).
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    So you eat 970 cals a day?
  • tmclanton
    Options
    That is what it told me earlier. By the end of the day, FB had me eat 1050 calories. I currently have a "Hooray- You have reached your goal of 1050 cals. MFP says I still have 526 calories remaining.
  • tmclanton
    Options
    Now I am really confused on what to do. I just hit the finished logging for the day and it told me that I ate too few calories and that I could my body into starvation mode. It says I need to at least eat 1200 calories a day.
  • 2013james
    Options
    Check that the time zones are the same on Fitbit and MFP.

Don't assume that the time for your area on MFP is correct.

My MFP was set to my local area(Australia), but it didn't account for the extra hour for daylight saving time, so it was an hour behind Fitbit (which was correct)

If the time for your area is wrong, just select a location that has the correct time offset (eg. GMT + 10 hours

This was only a problem when I logged food late at night.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I just got my Fitbit 3 days ago and started MFP yesterday! I have been working out daily and it now tells me on Fitbit that I have: "479 out of 970 Cals" that I can still eat today.
    On MFP, it says, "854 Calories remaining (Goal 1200, Food +491, Exercise -145 Net 346)

I would like to lose 2 pounds a week. Is it better to go by the FB numbers, which is less, or by the MFP numbers? Obviously, it seems like the FB would get me there faster, however, I am not sure if the lower count will put me into "starvation mode".

without knowing your weight/height etc I would say 2lb a week is too aggressive for you - 970 calories is very, very low.