Does anyone do Taekwondo for exercise?

Options
I notice that a lot of people run or go to the gym. No one mentions martial arts. It would be fun to meet some like minded people in this area. : )

Replies

• briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    If my club didn't cut the sports class in favour of hapkido I would not have ever stepped foot in the gym. Nothing beats a good full-contact spar, not to mention competing against other great athletes! I'm using gym to keep fit until one day I can return to my beloved sport. Good luck finding other TKDers! <3
  • impojr
    impojr Posts: 52
    Options
    I have a friend (my only healthy friend) who does taekwondo for a sport. She just won the Oceania Championship and she has a pretty intense training routine. When she had to get into the 62kg weight division she ate nothing but fruit and vegetables, chicken, meat, and brown rice. At one point she completely removed carbs from her diet, which I really didn't like but she got down in the end.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have a friend (my only healthy friend) who does taekwondo for a sport. She just won the Oceania Championship and she has a pretty intense training routine. When she had to get into the 62kg weight division she ate nothing but fruit and vegetables, chicken, meat, and brown rice. At one point she completely removed carbs from her diet, which I really didn't like but she got down in the end.

Wow congratulations to your friend! :D
  • XxxFallenAngelxxX
    Options
    I do martial arts! I got my black belt 2011 and now I am training and being a trainer. I lost A LOT of lbs on that. It was mostly a hobby but now its a lose-it thing.

I <3 Tae Kwon doe!
  • XxxFallenAngelxxX
    Options

Thats awesome
    :)) And btw your so handsome!
  • impojr
    impojr Posts: 52
    Options
    Wow congratulations to your friend! :D

Thanks, she's really proud! When she came over she brought her medal and I wore it. It was really heavy.
    Thats awesome
    :)) And btw your so handsome!

Congratulations on the black belt!

and thanks :>
  • Brigitte08
    Options
    i got to red belt and had a 6 pack and put on weight when i stopped so im heading back in the new year!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I do Tai Chi. Also a martial art, especially Chen-style. but I do the lower-key Yang style. And does it burn calories!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I am no longer able to participate (neck problems-- doctor's orders) but I was working on my red belt before I had to stop. If I could find a dojang where I could just learn forms and not do any sparring I would love to go back.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Taekwondo is my main form of exercise..I train several times a week for the past 3 years..I love sparring..it's my favorite thing to do :)
    We train traditional tkd, sparring and also have a couple of conditioning classes per week.
    I also do some home workouts (p90x, jillian micheals) and run a bit when the weather is nice.

There is a martial arts group if you are looking for more people involved in these types of sports!
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    I do Krav Maga :)
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am no longer able to participate (neck problems-- doctor's orders) but I was working on my red belt before I had to stop. If I could find a dojang where I could just learn forms and not do any sparring I would love to go back.

The association to which I belong allows injured adults to do free-style one-steps in lieu of sparring. Maybe you could check out one near you.

I do TKD for exercise, but I also swim, bike, run, and do yoga, I absolutely stink at sparring (too slow), but I love it.
  • LRH64
    LRH64 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    TKD is also my main form of exercise. I startes in Jan 2006 and I am now a 2nd degree black belt working towards my third degree. Forms are my favorite activity. When done correctly with a high level of intensity your heart rate really gets going. i tolerate sparring, probablybecause I am the only adult in the sparring class any all the kids are better than me. I am also an instructor for the classes.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    TKD here too :happy:

Been on a Christmas and New Year break, classes start back this Sunday, can't wait!!

The Martial Arts group that's been mentioned is: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/301-martial-arts-and-sport-fighting
  • Christinesyear
    Christinesyear Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I do! I have been training in Tang Soo Do karate for 5 years and just earned my black belt this past August! I finally got my stuff in gear when I knew I had to endure an 8-hour test (yes, it was 8 hours) to earn my black belt. That included running a mile in under 11 minutes, 50 push-ups, sit-ups and knee bends...all at the END of this grueling test!
    It has been SO worth it! It is great for you body and your mind! Not to mention getting out some aggression in a controlled environment :)
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    I currently am a green belt in WTF Tae Kwon Do, and have been practicing it for a little over a year now. My son (who is also a green belt) had been doing it for a year and a half. The one thing i need to do is to get some sparring gear this year, so i can add to my calorie expenditure while i'm at class.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    LOVE my TKD class!! I am a green belt and finished second at the AOMA Nationals this past August in the 31-40 year old sparring division.