Want to start running...worried about pain from jiggles

Options
Any advice? Just do it anyway? Will I injure myself?

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Do you mean jiggling boobs? I'm 34f. I use a normal bra and a sports bra on top.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    ???
  • louiseyanne
    Options
    Do you mean jiggling boobs? I'm 34f. I use a normal bra and a sports bra on top.

Not quite an F but I do the same, regular bra and then a sports bra on top..

: )
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Do you mean jiggling boobs?

Lol.

Everything.

Breasts, waist, hip fluff, heavy thighs. I'm at 190 pounds, but I usually do Zumba (some bouncing) or elliptical.

I'll make sure to wear two bras.
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about jiggling in other places, perhaps try some sturdy compression workout wear?
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    I'm especially worried about my knees, hips, and spine. :noway:
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    If you're worried about jiggling in other places, perhaps try some sturdy compression workout wear?

Hadn't thought of that. I need to look for some.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Beyond that, you can look into getting yourself fitted for running shoes at a GOOD althletic gear/shoe shop. Proper foot wear does not have to cost mega $$$ but it does need to be suited to your gait and stance and it can help minimize trauma to the joints.

I run on dirt trails whenever possible because it is gentler than pavement. As much as I hate treadmills, they do offer better shock absorbsion that most running paths.

How much jogging or walking have you done in the past?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Do you think that other runners have a secret 'jiggles-defuser' that you don't know about?

Yes, running can be hard on your joints, but aside from being fitted for good shoes and a good bra, there really isn't anything you need to run. Worrying about 'side-effects' before you start out is pointless.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is get fitted for running shoes at a running store. They will analyze your gait & your foot to recommend shoes for you.
  • Marieevans813
    Marieevans813 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am very close to your weight and short too. I run; you can too. I would follow a couch to 5k and go from there. You can do it!! I've completed a 5k, 8k, and 10k. Planning to do a half marathon in March. Just follow a reasonable training program for beginners and invest in a great pair of running shoes. Good luck!!
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Do you mean jiggling boobs?

Lol.

Everything.

Breasts, waist, hip fluff, heavy thighs. I'm at 190 pounds, but I usually do Zumba (some bouncing) or elliptical.

I'll make sure to wear two bras.
    I started running at 204 pounds im 5 foot
    just go slow get a running app that starts you off slow if it hurts slow down walk if need be
    but yes DO it I ran my first 5 km fun race lastnight in sleet and freezing rain it was a blast
    Will be doing the resolution run again next year
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am very worried about my knees because I have arthritis. But running is the best exercise for me - really the only way I can get my HR up. You should do c25k - it starts of running 60 seconds, walking 90, running 60 seconds, etc for 20 minutes and you gradually build up to running a full 5K. Thew app is like having your own personal trainer and you wont hurt yourself if you stick to the program. All you need is a smart phone or an ipod? Good luck!
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I just started the couch to 5k, week 2 starts tomorrow. I am heavier than you and yes, everything jiggles-that's my motivation to keep going! LOL! I had problems with my feet and knees (cramping and pain) a couple of years ago, even with just walking so I switched to wearing vibrums, They aren't pretty, but they work for me.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Do you think that other runners have a secret 'jiggles-defuser' that you don't know about?

Yes, running can be hard on your joints, but aside from being fitted for good shoes and a good bra, there really isn't anything you need to run. Worrying about 'side-effects' before you start out is pointless.

Rule 1 of running: We don't talk about the Jiggle-defuser.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Just walk at a fast pace.
    Every pound on your stomack is 8 on your knees and 10 on your back.
    Just get 10k steps a day and youll do fine.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    make sure you have a good pair of running shoes. i use saucany sneakers ..hope i spelled tha right.. they support my feet well and decreased the amount of aches and pains in my feet i had from crappy sneakers. jiggling is ok..it goes away eventually if you stick to working out and eating right .
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Running takes time to master. You're muscles not only need to develop for the total body cardio required during running, but the foot landing is a high impact on your feet, joints, and bones. Start slow. If you have a smart phone try the Couch 2 5k apps to ease you into a running schedule. I started last May and it was hard....sometimes I felt like quitting, but I kept on. I finished the program in September (repeated several sessions when I just felt like I wasn't ready to advance to the next level. Since September I've completed five 5k runs, two half marathons, and an obstacle course race. I am actually leaving shortly for the Commitment Day 5k in Indianapolis this morning. :) Just stick with it and you can do it. There was lots of jiggling at the beginning and it is a slow progress, but it's still progress.

If you're on Facebook, look me up. My profile is under Jessica Ibsen and my running motivation page is Running Fat 2 Fit.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have back, knees, and hips issues, so I just started it out slow. May mean that I walk part of it. Someone else recommended it... Couch to 5K is great !!! I couldn't do much in the beginning and now can run almost the entire 5K.

Be patient with yourself and don't think you have to go far / fast right away !
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This topic definitely caught my eye because I have "pain from jiggles". I always tell my trainer that even my fat is sore after a day of running. He laughs at me, thinking I am being funny. I keep on going though and eventually I am going to be one hellacious runner without all the jiggles.