Big Moment - at least for me!

Options
I have the unfortunate pleasure of traveling a lot for my job. Those of us in the full figure group know how stressfull airline travel is and how devious we can be to get an upgrade or a seat with an open seat next to us. I carry two seat belt extenders - had to have a backup just incase I lose one! I would actually start to stress at the airline gate if I wasn't getting an upgrade or didn't know my seat.

I've not traveled in about 3 months and yesterday I took a flight to see my family. I decided to not apply for an upgrade and I left my security blanket (seat belt extender) at home. Not only that I picked the exit row where the seats are a little more narrow because the tray table is in the seat and you are not allowed to use a seat belt extender in the exit row for safety reasons. The plane was full so reseating would have been painful and embarrassing if I was more optimistic than I should have been.

Well - I fit with a couple inches to spare in the NON-EXTENDED seat belt. Not only that I didn't see the horror on the faces of those in my row as I approached seeming to say "gosh I hope he doesn't sit here".. I was able to reach my bag under the seat in front of me and even cross my legs.

I realize this may sound stupid but I was over the top happy!! It's the little wins that keep me going. That was a BIG little win - if that makes any sense at all.. 87 down and 38 to go....

Replies

• sumer_13
    sumer_13 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Copngrats on a job well done! I know 2013 will be even more!! Proud of you! Happy New Year.
  • cindyb9695
    Options
    Way to go. I know that had to be an awesome feeling. :)
    Congrats on what your weight loss. Keep up the good work.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    That's a great result. Congrats.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    That is a great accomplishment! Congratulations!
  • weldergirl15
    weldergirl15 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! What an awesome way to start the new year!
  • rejordan
    rejordan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This is just what I needed to hear! I guess this is a good example of what MFP folks call a HUGE NSV! Took me a while to find out that that was a great non-scale victory. You just had one! Happy for you man!
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Awesome.........what a great feeling!
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sound stupid?? Hell NO!! It sounds like a major NSV (non scale victory) to me. Congrats. Job well done!
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    that's awesome!! what a great NSV!! Keep up the good work :D
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    Too funny...I had a very similar experience. Before losing weight I was barely able to lock in the seatbelt. After I lost 40 lbs, I took a picture and sent to my wife showing the 7 or 8" of extra belt after tightening!!

Very powerful stuff.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Congratulations! =)
  • jiggy_gibby
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a victory!
  • StonesUnturned
    StonesUnturned Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Not stupid at all. All your hard work is paying off. Congrats!
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Awesome job! :flowerforyou:
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Craig, this is a WONDERFUL success. Thank you for sharing and continued blessings for more success in 2013. You can do this!

Laura
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel - I've had a couple of tight moments of only just being able to close the seatbelt and then carefully breathe out. When I flew home for the holidays this year I had inches and inches left over and wiggle room in my seat - no squeezing between the armrests here!
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Great NSV! Well done! Keep p the great work!
  • FirstCoastLisa
    Options
    Huge accomplishment in my book...no more airplane stress for you! I used to think airplanes were shrinking and then realized that was not the case! Sending you a friend request. : )
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!! These so called little things can really make life so much more pleasant. Great work and accomplishment.
  • Afaida
    Afaida Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    That same fear has kept me from flying for years and years. My hubby knew I was afraid to fly but I didn't let him know WHY I was afraid. So very, very happy for you. Congratulations on setting yours free! Continued success!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!