Under eating

Options
2»

Replies

• melanietolle
    Options
    I have been having this same problem, it isn't a myth, I met with a personal trainer and nutrition coach and upped my healthy carbs, such as, brown rice, a piece of whole wheat toast, sweet potato etc, in two days of adding a little more food and not being so far under on my calories I lost a pound. Try it!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I dont think starvation mode is a myth just ask anyone in the Donner Party, but I wouldnt worry too much. Listen to your body and try to eat wholesome food.
  • lilystardust89
    Options
    I am not stupid. i didnt put the weight on through eating healthily. i put the weight on because i was always on the move. unable to cook and eat properly through having no utensils. I have been effectively homeless for 2 years going from homeless hostel to homeless hostel with nothing but a duffle bag. living on take out and food parcels because i cant afford the space in my bag to carry a range of pots and pans and crockery and cutlery etc etc etc. so it wasnt a matter of eating a lot before, it was eating the wrong thing.

I finally have a long term placement in a hostel and hope to start getting my life back on track and back to normal. now i am eating healthily again i dont want to go under a healthy calorie level but neither do i want to compromise the purpose of my diet by eating poor foods.

i suggest you all get down of your high horses. As a private person i find it rather degrading to have to air my laundry in such a way. think i will just use this site for my own monitorring and leave the forum/community alone from now on. seeing as you all seem to think that people join this site to lose weight without actually wanting to change their diets etc. youre all idiots.

I will get my weight back to where i was comfortable without your unhelpful *****ing. its like frikkin highschool in these rooms.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is not a myth - it is a physiological effect on metabolism.

Just because you know everyone using the word "hacker" should really be saying "cracker" to be linguistically correct, publishing RFC 2828 and stating "Today, the term is frequently misused, especially by journalists, to have the pejorative meaning of cracker." will have absolutely no effect because the term is already in use and the most common meaning is understood by everyone.

ETA: OP, are there any of those "wrong foods" that you might be able to fit back in?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Not your fault you gained the weight, got it.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode - not a myth. You need calories especially if you workout. Don't listen to your body, tell you body what you want.

I will eat a spoonful of peanut butter. If you can't have nuts, try a high in protein snack.

Your body needs calories, they are not evil little things trying to trip you up.

My mom "listened to her body" and did not eat enough calories, she damaged her body so bad, she lost her hair.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    What about:

Avocado

Bowl of oatmeal with raisins

Toast with butter

Chocolate milk

Roasted veggies in olive oil

Sausages

Just a few things I can think of that won't break the bank and can add some extra cals in.
  • lilystardust89
    Options
    It is my fault. i f*cked up my life and got myself in this mess. I went to the doctors and asked for help with my metal health and lost my job followed by my home, my friends, my family, everything as a result. I should never have asked for help and i wouldnt have been fired. To be honest, it should have taught me not ta ask for help as if it had i wouldnt have posted in this forum.

I am completely aware of whos fault it is, mine, i put the food i did in my mouth, I spent days not physically moving through fear of p!ssing somone off and being made street homeless again. I am fully aware that everything that is wrong in my life, my weight and health included is my fault. so you can naff off you narky little troll.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I always love it when someone posts a thread asking for help and then cops major attitude with anyone who replies with advice. Usually advice they don't want to hear.
  • lilystardust89
    Options
    Bron, i will accept advice on what to do about it now. but their is no use in people advising me with 'you should have eaten less/better in the past'. i cant do anything about that except to shed the weight now, which is what i was asking advice on. not, how do i make a balance meal in a mug whilst sleeping in a shop door way. but, how do i make sure i dont keep this weight on.

the helpful advice i am very greatful of.

the personal digs about my past are useless to me and dont exactly make me want to continue in changing my life.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I think you need to stop blaming the world and own up to your weaknesses. We cannot help you if you say you undereat. That isn't being honest and your diary isn't even open. Being honest with yourself is where it all begins. If you reach out for help then you have to take the good with the bad comments. But coming here saying you can't eat enough is just plain silly. You would be losing weight really quickly if that were the case and then you wouldn't be asking for help. Taking ownership and being humble are two of the things you need to learn the most, then you can begin your weight loss journey.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Bron, i will accept advice on what to do about it now. but their is no use in people advising me with 'you should have eaten less/better in the past'. i cant do anything about that except to shed the weight now, which is what i was asking advice on. not, how do i make a balance meal in a mug whilst sleeping in a shop door way. but, how do i make sure i dont keep this weight on.

the helpful advice i am very greatful of.

the personal digs about my past are useless to me and dont exactly make me want to continue in changing my life.

You are right, no one knows you personally. Most are in the same boat as you are. Don't take it personally. Many people have a bully mentality. Be positive, look forward and smile. Bad things happen to good people. No one makes perfect choices. Learn from your mistakes and move on. Don't worry about the nasty attitudes you get on here. Nothing you can do about the past only the future.

My advice, always eat your calories and do not get discouraged. You can do this.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating several smaller meals? I'm in a similar situation to you so I'm offering what has worked for me as advice, not sure if it will work for you. I eat 6 times a day, 3 healthy meals and 3 snacks. I often eat small portions of junk food to cover extra calories at the end of the day, like a serving of dark chocolate, a serving of chips with guacamole or 2-3 cookies. It's not as healthy as I would like to be but it's made it really easy to make sure I am eating enough.
  • lilystardust89
    Options
    I have only been on this diet 3 days for frikks sake. i am not saying 'i am not losing wiehgt because i am undereating'

i am saying that my food diary says i am undereating and i dont want to get a month down the line to find i havent done myself any favours.

I dont know how to open my food diary to everyone.

where have i said it is anyone but my own fault. I am being sincere in laying the blame at my door.

I am quite full on what i am eating on my new diet, but my food diary is saying it is not enough. i cant eat bigger portions as i have a hiatus hernia(as i already said) and it hurts to eat larger portions.

I am very humble as a human being. I dont critisize people whom i know practically nothing about and i give people respect for things they try to put right in their lives.
  • _happycats_
    _happycats_ Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My suggestion for you would be to incorporate a protein shake - you can switch it up to add whatever fruits and veggies you'd like, they can add extra calories and aren't too tough to get down even when you're not the hungriest. My favourite is peanut butter banana: protein powder, skim milk, natural peanut butter, 1 banana, ice and a handful of spinach just to make it turn green :)
  • sclarktiw
    sclarktiw Posts: 217
    Options
    not everyone is going to understand what you are going through, to some of us it will be silly and to some of us it will make sense. dont let it get to you. we are all different in how we look at things. there are several great suggestions and just pick through and find what works best for you and your situation.

keep up the good work!

Steve
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    First rule of interwebz is don't feed the trolls: report any posts that are offensive and contain no helpful advice to the moderators, they will delete/ ban/ block those idiots at some point. If they don't have anything better to do with the first day of a new year than troll on MFP then they are to be pitied. Save your energy for responding to posts you find useful or don't fully understand. You need to go to My Home, Settings to lock and unlock things.
  • lilystardust89
    Options
    I have decided i wont be participating in the forums anymore.

Thank you to all those who have made great suggestions, i will definately be taking some of them up and i will get back into my size 12UK (I dont wanna be skinny, just comfortable and happy).

Thank you to those who have been supportive, i wish you all the best in your weightloss journeys (I'll see you at the finish line).

Happy New Year
  • lilystardust89
    Options
    And thanks FireFox.

To be honest, i quite liked getting all that off my chest. the only good thing about trolls is being able to shout at them hehe. theyre like verbal punch bags and as theyre unfeeling idiots you can get all the tension off your shoulders and no one gets hurts.

Time to start preparing dinner... loving being able to eat proper meals again.

sayo nara
  • elizawe
    elizawe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    And thanks FireFox.

To be honest, i quite liked getting all that off my chest. the only good thing about trolls is being able to shout at them hehe. theyre like verbal punch bags and as theyre unfeeling idiots you can get all the tension off your shoulders and no one gets hurts.

Time to start preparing dinner... loving being able to eat proper meals again.

sayo nara
    Good luck on your journey illystarbust8! You have been through a lot and I can only imagine how difficult it is given the limitations and challenges you face but you are on the right track it sounds. Congratulations for starting school!

I'm not sure what you are eating but you may be able to get in more calories if you avoid trigger foods that upset your hiatal hernia, i.e. fatty or fried foods, caffeine, chocolate, acidic fruits, high fat content foods, and carbonated beverages. I can understand why you don't like full fat milk products and choose fat free instead. The full fat is not good for the acid reflux and is best to stay away from. How much fiber are you getting in? Adding fiber is great (oatmeal, oat bran, and brown rice) as it soaks up the excess stomach acid and it's not expensive to buy. Any low fat protein you can afford would be great for you too.

My advice on the forums is don't take things personally. Some people are just more interested in being right than they are being helpful. It's all ego. Most people want to be helpful and some just need more info about you to offer the best advice. That's why some advice may have sounded offensive when it wasn't intended to be. Make friends with those you see are helpful and motivating to you. That way you can ask the questions on your home page instead of here in the forum. Open your diary to your friends. Go to Home Page, select "Setting" and then select "Diary Settings" . Good luck and I wish you well on your journey!