Losing the last 10lbs

Options
I'm stuck on losing those last 10 lbs and would really like some help and advice. Is there anyone else out there who is in the same boat? Maybe we could start a group and provide tips and support.

Thanks!

Replies

• bakergirl62
    bakergirl62 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've been on my last few pounds since October 2009. Some months a lost 1/2 a pound the entire month. I finally quite worring about it and went on maintenance. I would love to join the "Last 10" support group and would love to hear other's tips and ideas.
  • constancelawson
    constancelawson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    that would be a great group, i havent lost any weight in a couple weeks and would like to lose at least 5 more.
  • mt130022
    mt130022 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What I did to lose my last ten pounds is NOT the popular route to take (and I'll likely be shamed for it), but I had to work out HARD each day (300 - 500 cals or more of exercise) and NOT eat my exercise calories. It took about six weeks to get those pounds off, but off they are. I am a firm believer that each one of us is different and what works for one may not work for another; anyway, that's what worked for me.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I also had to do something drastic to lose the last 15. I pretty much exercised twice a day (hour-hour and a half total) and ate low(er) carbs and way less calories to get to where I wanted to (105-107lbs). However, I have maintained it (+/- 3 pounds) for 5 years. In fact, I hadn't been my current weight in my adult life. So even though it took drastic measures to get there initially, I have stayed there with moderate effort. I won't go back to my old style of eating though, I have adopted this healthy life as regular daily life. :) So yes, it does take extra effort to get er done! Also forgot to mention it took about 3 months.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    the last ten pounds is a tough place to be in. the best thing you can do is keep your chin up and push through it. be careful not to have expectations that are too high- the last ten pounds tend to stay around longer than the other weight so just be patient. my other advice to you is to keep doing what you're doing and keep up the great work. those last ten pounds will leave you in time. congrats on getting to the 'last ten pounds' mark, and good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    What I did to lose my last ten pounds is NOT the popular route to take (and I'll likely be shamed for it), but I had to work out HARD each day (300 - 500 cals or more of exercise) and NOT eat my exercise calories. It took about six weeks to get those pounds off, but off they are. I am a firm believer that each one of us is different and what works for one may not work for another; anyway, that's what worked for me.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Not going to shame you, just say that this is also, basically, Jillian Michael's advice for taking off the "vanity pounds" -- the last 10. She basically says eat at your BMR and workout hard about 5 hours/week. No eating the exercise calories. (But still eat at your BMR on your rest days.) Unfortunately, I haven't been kicking the exercise up quite enough, but I have made some gains in the past couple of weeks with increasing my number of workouts at trying to eat 1400/day (my BMR). Now if my hip would get better I could start running again and kick up the calorie burn a lot more....
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    Im also struggling with the last 10 lbs. I would totally like to join a group for support. Like Cheryl mentioned. We should start one now and continue with daily motivation and helpfull hints that have worked for you.
    I'm kinda just getting back to being super strict at the gym planning on doing 30 minute cardio with 60 minute circuit training 3 times a day. One or two days of Yoga and maybe even try a cyling class on the weekend since I have never tried one. I have always been intimidated to go to spinning classes not sure why. But I really wanna lose those last 10 lbs in time for an awesome sumer.
    Anway, let me know if you are all interested in a "Last 10 team" and how we should work it ou.
    Gaby
  • gabyp0716
    Options
    PS. I meant to say do 30 minutes of cardio and 60 minutes of circuit trainig three time a week. Wish I had time for 3 times a day... hehe... but you get the idea.
  • maliyshka
    maliyshka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That's where I'm at, and the scale doesn't seem to be budging. I've maybe lost a lb in a bit over a month - month and a half, and I've been tracking & working like crazy. Now it's just stuck there. I had lost some weight awhile ago, maintained that weight for 2 almost 3 years since I needed a "break" and decided to give the good 'ol "last ten" a go... and it's been futile it seems like. Very frustrating but just sticking with it.

Some good tips in here, thanks :)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    As anyone read "Making the Cut" by Jillian Michaels? I guess that is her program dedicated to the last 10 pounds. I haven't read it yet, but I have listened to all of the back episodes of her radio show that used to be on (you can download the podcasts) and, from what I understand, one of the key things is to definitely not drop your calories too low. Of course, by her standards, "enough calories" is your BMR, so it still isn't a lot. The basic reasoning is that, for people who have a lot of extra weight, their bodies are like "yay! This weight is bad for us. Let's get it gone!" So the body releases fat because it can easily use it for energy without too much fear of starvation. However, once you get down to the last 10, you are already at a healthy weight. So, you body is like "What? We're healthy riiiight here. Let's not lose these last few pounds because we need that for an emergency". So, the basic thing is to make sure that your body doesn't think it is going to starve. So, all this boils down to the basic advice of calculate your BMR and don't eat below that, even on a rest day.

But I would really like to hear more from people who have read "Making the Cut".
  • gabyp0716
    Options
    bump :bigsmile:
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    Anway, let me know if you are all interested in a "Last 10 team" and how we should work it ou.
    Gaby

I'm definetely interested in a "Last 10 team". I know I need to up the effort a bit and work out more/harder and eat less treats.
    This morning I was good though I was offered some chocolate and ate a carrot instead! I love chocolate!

Let me know of your ideas for the team - maybe we should set eachother daily/weekly goals for doing that extra bit that's going to make us reach our goals.
  • golddogs
    golddogs Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I lost about 60 pounds last year with exercise and healthy eating. It came off pretty easy. I have been stuck with this last 10 pounds since before the holidays. I will lose 2 or 3 then gain the same 2 or 3 back again. It is so frustrating. I plan to increase exercise and hope things start moving. Good luck to all of us!
  • gabyp0716
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    I will start a new thread called "the Last 10" so we can all join. Hope to see you all there!
    Gaby