Busting Plateaus by Jillian Michaels

Options
I thought this was interesting and made sense, so I wanted to share:

Busting Plateaus

There is nothing more discouraging than stepping on the scale after a week of diligent dieting and grueling workouts and not seeing any drop in the number. The plateau is a common problem among dieters and can typically be waited out, but there are measures you can take to keep your metabolism fired up even as you reduce your caloric intake.

The best way to break a plateau is to keep your salt intake below 2,000 milligrams a day and drink lots of water. Make sure you're not eating any processed carbs, period. That's right — no chips, sugar, white flour, and so on. And hit the gym hard! The boost in exercise will make your body swell and hold fluids for a few days, but after a week you should see the benefits on the scale.

You can also try playing around with your caloric intake a bit, varying it from day to day throughout the week while keeping the same weekly total. The body can't slow its metabolism to adjust to a reduced caloric intake if the intake isn't fixed from one day to the next. For instance, to bust my plateau, I might have 1,200 calories on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and then eat 1,500 calories on Tuesday, 1,600 on Thursday, 1,400 on Saturday, and 1,700 on Sunday. Get it?

The plateau effect can sometimes simply be a matter of flagging resolve. If mixing up your caloric intake just isn't working, make sure you're not slipping up on your diet or slacking off in your workouts. I'm serious; it happens.

As with any program, there will be highs and lows, but stay with it. Your body is trying to adjust to the weight loss. Don't get scared or discouraged. Just be patient and know that you are worth it!

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Just what I needed, as I am in the midst of a plateau and it can be frustrating. It makes you think, why even try; but I have lost 30 pounds and fortunately still have the mindset that I don't want to gain it back. I just still need to lose those last 10 pounds and it ain't happening. Thanks for posting!
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I like this. Salt plays tricky games
  • LRogers2
    LRogers2 Posts: 15
    Options
    This helps me also. Thank you for posting. I was getting discouraged after a week on the scale has said the same number, and countless hours in the gym. I will play around with my caloric intake to see if that will be the factor that helps me beat this plateau. Thanks Again!
  • KateDonnelly
    Options
    Yes! Thanks for this post. I needed a morale boost. I seem to be starting at a plateau. Getting under the one fifty mark is taking FOREVER. And that's still fifteen away from my target weight. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! This makes me want to keep working hard.
  • clheide
    clheide Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this, i really needed to read this!!
  • ican♥and♥iwill
    ican♥and♥iwill Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I needed to read this, especially after this horrible week!!
  • onehealthymomma07
    Options
    change up your routine. every few weeks cause your body and muscles adapt and the calorie deficit isnt the same . also try adding new things, anti-up intensity or add couple hundred caloiries.
  • thinsky
    thinsky Posts: 81
    Options
    Thank you for this I needed it. I stepped on the scale this morning and it has been stuck for 2 weeks now and I dont know why???Maybe I will try to mix up my calorie intake and then add in some different excercise throughout my day. Something has to budge...nothing is worse in my mind or day then a week or two when the scale doesn't move........
    Thank you,
    Thank you,
    Thank you!!!
  • Vonne
    Vonne Posts: 33
    Options
    Great post, I heard Jillian say to change up your daily calories on the Biggest Loser the other night. Makes sense!