New Strength Plan

Options
Been working out since August and watching what I ate. Was varying between exercise bike for 10-30 mins then 30 day Shred or Fitness Blender Strength training with 1.1kg weights.

Having taken Xmas off, I realise that something was happening, even though I wasn't losing weight I was maintaining and have let myself go (6lbs). I dont see this as a negative, just more of a challenge as feel that if I have more to lose it might be slightly easier.

Have just done some strength training with 2.2kg weight, which I felt. I am unable to go to the gym but have an Exercise bike, you tube, Davina DVD's and weights at home.

Any suggestions on good plans as this is a life change and I need some varying ideas. I struggle with too much cardio as my knees hurt but can manage the bike but not the jumping around.

Is working with the weights enough to lose weight and tone?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    This isn't meant to be an insult but, those weights are useless. If you don't want to invest in heavier weights, google body weight work out routines.
  • shellux
    shellux Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    But I'm only little!

Should you not start light and work up?

Will check out google though.

Thanks
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I got the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women as a Christmas gift, and have just gotten started doing those workouts. SOME of the things take equipment, which I have readily available at my apartment complex fitness area, but a lot of them can be done with body weight or dumbbells. I've already seen clear progress after just three workouts. Some of the exercises I am doing that don't take any special equipment (beyond some dumbbells) are: squats, lunges, push-ups, reverse crunches, step-ups, and shoulder press. You WILL need heavier weights than you are using. 5 lbs. is the smallest weight I start with and I go up from there. If you have access to even a small gym, you will be able to go far with NROLFW. Even without that book, you can do a LOT with bodyweight exercises.

Don't be afraid to push yourself a bit, and be sure to take rest days off between strength workouts.
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    But I'm only little!

Thanks

I used to lift in the past and am looking forward to getting started again. In the very short long term those weights won't last you long if you're serious. But personally, I think if you have never lifted anything at all, they are good to start for a few weeks while you firm up your plan. But I wouldn't stick with them much longer than that.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    But I'm only little!

Thanks

NROLFW is a great program to start with and they give you some suggested starting weights. You could also try Stronglifts 5x5, there's a forum group here. Either way you're right about startling light and working up, we all have different starting points. I'm 5'1" and 115 lbs and started most of the Stronglifts exercises between 45 and 65lbs if that helps. Good luck with whatever program you try!
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You could try doing some squats with a rucksack filled with stuff from the kitchen cupboard to add weight to it. There's plenty of bodyweight exercises you could do and an enormous amount of tutorials online on youtube.