Protein bars

Options
mirgss
mirgss Posts: 275 Member
At the suggestion of a couple people on here, I decided to give protein bars a try instead of shakes. I went to the store yesterday, and there are SO MANY! I know I want to get one high in protein and low in carbs/sugar - and preferably no HFCS - but the problem is, I'm not sure how many grams of protein is considered a lot, and how many grams of carbs is a lot. My MFP recommends I eat 1200 calories a day...any thoughts? :)

Replies

• afluegel
    afluegel Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My favorite are "Pure Protein" Bars - Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor. They are very low in sugar and have 20g of protein. They were recommened to me by my curves owner.... I was on the curves high protein diet - so i needed lots of protein.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I use "Pure Protein" bars also.....you get @ 180-200 calories and 19-20 grams of protein
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Just be careful about protein bars. Getting your protein from your regular diet is VERY doable, and is better for you than gulping high protein sweets. Try increasing your plant protein sources and then re-evaluate whether or not you really need those extras.
    Beans, nuts, seeds, etc. on top of your daily meat servings should more than suffice.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will definitely keep that in mind. I was thinking mostly of bringing them to school, where I don't always have access to other stuff. I like to work out there, and I've been trying to have a snack. Most other days I think I manage to get my protein from my normal diet. This is a great reminder that eating a balanced diet is important, and it's not good to get all your calories from vitamins and supplements :)

On another note, everyone here is so helpful. I'm so new at the fitness and nutrition thing, and I have learned so much from everyone here! Thanks!
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    It depends how much you need to increase your protein by however I would consider 20+g as a good amount of protein.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Look for ThinkThin bars.
  • davismcdavis
    Options
    I like a brand called Think Thin. (http://www.thinkproducts.com/thin-bars.php). They have 20 grams of protein, a bunch of vitamins, no sugar, and are very tasty. I have a Chunky Peanut Butter bar as a breakfast substitute when there's nothing healthy available. They are $17.99 for a box of 10 at Whole Foods. :-)
  • metalpalace
    metalpalace Posts: 576
    Options
    My favorites are the P90X protein bars. I'll never buy a different kind again. I use them as "fillers" once and a while between meals. Just half of one bar does me
  • xoxsandee
    xoxsandee Posts: 14
    Options
    I love the protein bars called, Carbrite. That is the only one I eat. They are sooooooooooooo good! They contain no sugar but they use sugar alcohol to replace it. I love the Chocolate Brownie flavor. 190 calories, 3.5 grams of fat, 23 grams of carbs, and 21 grams of protein. The toasted coconut flavor is my favorite but the fat is a litte higher (7 grams) and protein is lower (18 grams). You must try it!
    362436 Posts: 2
    Options
    If you are looking for a protein bar as a snack pre/post workout I would suggest staying away from the ones that have a high protein to carb ratio. A quick insertion of protein with fake/processed sweetners will not allow for proper synthesis. I recommend a bar with about 200 calories of balanced protein, carb, fat. Too much protein will be bad for the belly bulge. For a snack 10 - 15 grams protein is adequate. If you are looking to hit a protein intake goal pick up the other bits from lean meats, low fat dairy, and legumes.

I personally prefer the whey protein shake (soy may mess up the estrogen levels in your body) with a piece of fruit. The natural sugars in the fruit will promote the proper insulin response for protein synthesis. Bananas are a good choice....fiber and potassium.
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Personally I like Luna Protein bars and Pure protein. With the pure protein keep it at 50g. for women. Snacks for women should be between 100-200 calories I have been told. The protein bar is where I get my chocolate fix. I go online to drugstore.com and buy them in bulk it last for a month depending how many I buy. I teach so I take a variety to work with my Luna bars. I have a Luna bar for morning snack and a protein bar for afternoon snack.:flowerforyou: