Low Purine Diet

Any advice for losing weight while on a low purine diet?

Replies

• palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    I had never heard of this, when I googled it I see that you need to avoid and limit certain foods. I'm assuming you have a medical condition and have been advised that you need to be on a 'low purine diet'?

This article seemed helpful:

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=51

Even if you are avoiding these foods, you should still be able to lose weight with calorie counting using this site.
  • mrtoaster
    mrtoaster Posts: 90 Member
    I dont follow a low purine diet as such. I generally will only have red meat once or twice a week, the rest of the time if I have meat it's lean chicken. I also make sure that I eat 3 portions of either, berries, citrus fruits or bananas which prevent uric acid build up. finally drink lots or water to keep your kidneys healthy.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    I had never heard of this, when I googled it I see that you need to avoid and limit certain foods. I'm assuming you have a medical condition and have been advised that you need to be on a 'low purine diet'?

Not sure why OP needs a low purine diet, but it's suggested for people with conditions such as gout!
  • pwm235
    pwm235 Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks for the tips about the fruit helping to control the uric acid problem.