Impatient

Options
Sometimes I wish all of the weight would just fall off. I know its going to take more hard work & eating right, but I'm just becoming impatient to see how I will look once the weight is gone. I've lost 80# and my goal is to lose 30 more # before summer. Does anyone else ever feel this way?

Replies

• ohhman10
    Options
    I feel this way everyday... I have 40 pounds to loose and wish I would just wake up and all the weight would be gone. You've already lost 80 which is awesome. Your an inspiration to me. Keep going.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think once we start losing weight we get even more impatient. Or at least that's how it is with me. The first month saw relatively little change and I felt extremely patient. Then the scale and measurements caught up - much faster than I'd anticipated, even - and suddenly I'm more anxious than ever for the weight to come off.

It's like "It works! Now work MORE!".
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Yes, I feel that way a lot. :(

I just try to remember that I'm the same person now as I would be 30-40 lbs lighter. It's just my body shape, and I know it didn't gain 40 lbs overnight. :) Can't expect it to fall off quick.

Think of this weight loss as training, so when you do get to your goal... you will be extra good at maintaining it! You'll know a lot more about calories and the right portion sizes. If the weight just dropped in one day, you'd probably gain it back because you're used to eating for the body that you have at the moment.

If that makes sense. :)
  • findgod2findlife
    findgod2findlife Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    lolzz yea that's exactly how i feel!! i just want to reach my goal sooooo bad! hey we can do this! thank u! :)))
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya. 80+ gone, 30 to go, driving me nuts, every ounce feels like a war now, I remember being a teenager and crash dieting from 147 to 115 in two months, but I couldn't do that now without dying if I wanted to.

I am both amazed and horrified by my teenage self. That crazy chick went to school and work every day on 500 calories.

And because of her it's probably even harder to lose weight now.

Thanks, teenage self. Remind me to come punch you in the nose if I ever get a time machine.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Just remember that the statistics indicate the more slowly you lose, the more likely you are to keep the weight off. Slow loss gives your body time to adjust and doesn't mess with your metabolism. The statistics are grim for people who drop a lot of weight in a short period of time. If you are are eager to see what you will look like when you reach your goal, Photoshop a photo. Meanwhile, just spend your time learning more about nutrition, healthy recipes, fitness.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I am the most impatient person in the world! Just try not to let it get to you though, otherwise it could all go horribly wrong! Lol
  • Renee2817
    Renee2817 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I feel you, 80 lbs. is great, you inspire me. I am down 58 with 53 to go, can't wait. Good luck to you.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel. I took a step aerobics class in college about 10 years ago and lost 25 lbs. in 10 weeks. I keep thinking I should be getting those kind of results now too. My doc told me that things are different now and I'm not going to lose weight the same way now as I did then.

I feel your frustration though!
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    We all do. One quote I saw online once went something like "Never let the length of time something takes to finish, keep you from doing it. The time will pass anyway." That really put it into perspective for me. It makes me think daily...okay, my goal is to reach ___lbs in August. So when August gets here I can either be at that weight, closer to it, the same, or even heavier. Which one do I choose? Time will go on, whether you make the most of it or not. Don't regret not doing more today because you feel that the time is an obstacle and depresses you. You can do it!
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Whenever I say this to my brother, a very fit gym manager, he just asks me how long it took me to put it on. That soon shuts me up. Haha.

I know I can't get my weight off overnight, but every day I don't put effort in sets me back further. So I guess we just all need to keep plugging away and we'll all get there in the end.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can understand the impatience, but what is the alternative?

Took me ages to lose my last 10 lbs due to a plateau, and I found it best to ignore the scales as much as possible and concentrate on my fitness instead.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Yep - you are not alone!

I feel this way all the time.

What helps me is to remember the things I can control vs what I cannot

I can control what I eat, how much I sleep, how much water I drink, my exercise

I cannot control how fast or slow my body loses weight, how it takes on muscle, or loses fat, if it wants to hold on water you better believe its going to hold onto water whether I like it or not.

But all the things I can control will have an impact on the things I can't. Keeping that in mind really helps me
  • findgod2findlife
    findgod2findlife Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think we're all in the same boat!! thanks every1 i feel better now!

&& i love this quote! @wvmom24

"Never let the length of time something takes to finish, keep you from doing it. The time will pass anyway."

thank you!!

butterflybecoming.blogspot.com
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I feel ya on that. I have lost 33lbs since last year (it will be a year next month) but before joining MFP, I was preggo and had started losing weight in May 2011 (I went from 243 to 204). From May 2011 until know I have lost 71lbs, which makes me happy, but I really want to see what I look like being in the 140's because I have never been that low in my adult life.

All i do is remind myself "slow and steady wins the race. and that anything worth having is worth working for."

ETA: When I restarted MFP, i was 205, now I'm down to 172, and still on going.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I felt that way when I first started and along the journey!! Even now, I have a smaller goal and it seems like its taking forever and I'm annoyed! haha
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'm not impatient because I'm seeing changes in my fitness level despite a lack of change on the scale. It's easier to move and I'm gaining muscle, so I'm pretty happy! Even though I have ten more to lose, I'm feeling great.