What time of the day do you exercise?

Options

Replies

• kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I used to wonder the same thing BUT getting up at 4:30 am everyday is not so bad once your body gets used to it. I like to get my workouts done first thing so no afternoon surprises can give me any excuses to skip a day.
  • kacinace
    kacinace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I work 7p-7a nights, and usually work out on my break around 1am. On my off days, I work out either when I first wake up (if it's before my daughter...so 5am) or after she goes to bed (830pm). My sleep doesn't seem to be affected, but it's hard to tell with my crazy sleep schedule anyway.
  • ms_isis12
    Options
    I like to work out in the evening before going to bed, but if its one of my scheduled run days, I run early in the morning about 6am.
  • jwmarshall
    Options
    Typically, I work out between 4:30-5:30 p.m., right after my classes are done for the day....I find that it energizes and wakes me up for the evening (even if it only involves studying)....

But once I'm not in school, not sure what I'm gonna do! All you guys that wake up before the sun are crazy dedicated!
  • mezxox
    mezxox Posts: 1
    Options
    I work full time from 8.30 to 5 weekdays. I go during my lunch break during the week, as my gym is literally across the road from my workplace. On the weekends I go mid-late afternoon when it's a bit cooler so I can have a longer session. Over the holiday break however, due to the heat (I'm an Aussie) I've been going between 6 - 7 pm. I've noticed no effect on my sleeping patterns.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    google for exercises you can do during your drive. Obviously they will be limited ... but I work my tummy while I'm driving. It's better than letting it lay there doing nothing and nobody can see if they pull up along side me. After all ... don't want to look weird! ha

Your not going to believe this but I once saw a guy doing bicep curls at a stop light. Where there's a will, there is a way!

I do butt-clenches at red lights. And at straight stretches of road, I pull myself away from the seat-back and hold my tummy in a crunch. And I do these little 'chicken wing' things with my hands at the top of the steering wheel and I raise and lower my elbows out to the sides to work my shoulders. It's better than just sitting there.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i get up very early in the day and have yet to train myself to workout early .. my body just isnt energetic in the morning so i typically workout during the later part of the afternoon . today i did it earlier because i have plans later due to the holiday
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would wake up early but I am a morning guy - if I don't do it in the morning it may not happen...
    And you set yourself up for a nice day, even if occasionally a bit tired.
    My vote is for the morning!
  • AA1ex
    AA1ex Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I say try each out for a week and see which on works better for you. I like working out in the mornings but if I end up working out in the evening I think I sleep more restfully because I feel so accomplished and I'm worn out.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I've suffered the "I can't sleep because I worked out at night". I've NEVER suffered the "so pooped from the work out I'll be dead by 10AM".

I've tried different times of the day, and I prefer morning workouts, because it actually gets me energized and awake for the entire day.

Unfortunately, I changed jobs since and work at 7:00 and am NOT willing to wake up at 4:00am. So now I usually go around 6 or 7pm. It's usually around the time the gym starts to die down and people won't annoy me :)

I'm probably going to start working out in the morning again, though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio at lunch and just suck it up and eat while I'm working. I do my lifting 2 days per week right after work and I'm home by 7:15...play with the kids....eat dinner and off to bed by 9:30 and sleep like a baby. My 3rd lift day is Sat AM after I get the kiddos breakfast and make sure everything is under control for my wife.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I workout first thing during the week because if I wait until after work I come up with excuses not to do it. Saturdays I go to the gym in the morning, but not as early (8:30 on Saturday vs. 5:30/6 during the week) and Sundays I just do it whenever I can fit it in. Used to always do my Sunday workout in the afternoon when the gym was open, but now I'm training for a half marathon, so I do it when the weather best allows. I'm a morning person, tho. I got up at 5 a.m. even before I started going to the gym early.
  • Rsyblood777
    Rsyblood777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If I don't workout in the morning it won't happen. I really need to start waking at 4:30 to get my workouts in.
  • jballantine0826
    Options
    I workout mid-afternoon, but in your case I would definitely pick the morning! It is very tough getting motivated in the morning, but you can do it. Start small and build up. Start by saying I am waking up early and making coffee, or breakfast. Then say I am going to put on my workout clothes. Then maybe walk, then go for it. This might help so you don't give up early on. If I workout late at night, I can't sleep. I am pumped and it takes a while to calm down. Morning as many benefits-good luck!
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    around 6 pm everyday except weekend.
  • lahzay
    lahzay Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I try to exercise in the morning. That way I don't put it off, and I feel more energy throughout the day.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You have the right idea sister!! My day is nuts!! The only tiem of day I have is 4:30 am and I do it 6 days a week!! Plus - then its over and you can just relax when you get home!

I totally agree with this. Part of the reason I failed in my exercise goals in the past is because I just wanted to relax and hang out with my hubby when I got home from work. Now I am working out early in the morning before I head out to work. This is working out great because I can get all done with my workout without feeling like I'm neglecting my hubby or any household duties. I also find that it's nice to just have some time totally to myself that doesn't involve driving to/from work. Plus, I have started to have time to eat a better breakfast rather than grabbing a cold piece of pizza on my way out the door or something. So yes, I'd suggest mornings.

Good luck!
  • _namaste_
    _namaste_ Posts: 246
    Options
    Morning for me ALWAYS works best. If I work out too late I absolutely have a harder time sleeping. In the morning I am well rested and have energy and then it's over and done with and I can enjoy the rest of my day! :)
  • Sassia
    Sassia Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I can never get to sleep if I have any strenuous exercise before bed. I usually go to the gym before work or take an early lunch as the gym is right next door. I'm going to try yoga in the evening as I want to increase my flexibility (i used to be really flexible but not any more!) and my thinking is that it won't affect sleep as it's relaxing. Only time will tell!

ETA I work 40+ hours a week and spend 3 hours a day commuting. It only took 2 weeks for early morning workouts to become a habit that i wasn't willing to give up.
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My base M-F is 6am for 1 hour. I also try to get in a session or 2 of hot yoga during the week and be active on the weekend.