Amazing low cal foods list - add yours.

Options
I like to eat and not starve and when trying to lose weight that means low calorie options.

Since joining MCP and counting cals for the first time in my life I have compiled a list of 'go to' low cal foods.

Here is my list *yes I want your ideas too please*

1. Low cal jelly - .......I think this is 30 cals per 500mls?, I haven't had it in a while.
2. Cup a soups ........45 cals per cup for chicken noodle
3. Slim Pasta........... 11 cals for 500gms
4. Pepsi Max (I don't really like soda at all so I barely drink this) like zero cals
5. Watermelon ........ I know this is low cal but can't remember how few.
6. Celery ...................negative calories (yes I believe in neg cals)
7. Mushrooms ........... can't remember, but know it is low.
8. Diet hot chocolate mix (this has really helped me as I drink a LOT of hot drinks, this removes 40 cals per serve which adds up) 100 cals made up in a drink with whole milk and sugar.
9. Rye Cruskits - 20 cals each.

I can't think of any more for now... what are yours?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    With the types of foods I normally eat, vegetables, and not all of them, would make your qualification of amazing foods. Unfortunately most of your choices wouldn't make my list, funny how that works.
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    With the types of foods I normally eat, vegetables, and not all of them, would make your qualification of amazing foods. Unfortunately most of your choices wouldn't make my list, funny how that works.

Why not just list them anyway? Everyone knows fruits and vege are low cal options. But no one can live by them alone.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    For something slightly more processed:

Dairylea extra light triangles (20)
    Meringues- a nest is around the 50-70 calories dependent on where you got it from
    Popcorn (I really love the metcalfe's packets myself- 220 calories for a very large packet of popcorn covered in chocolate) - if you can get airpopped popcorn (or better yet, make it yourself)
    No-added sugar squash- I might get slated for this, with artificial sweeteners and all, but hot blackcurrent squash for 2 calories- I'm in myself!
    Green tea - 0 calories, fantastic drink.
    Soba noodles- I personally can't get hold of shirataki noodles, but these come in at a close second. It's only 128 calories for 100g DRY weight- and normally you only need just over half of that.

I think soups come out a real winner, with most whole tins of soup coming out under 300 calories. Homemade soups can be even better, my carrot soup is less than 150 calories for a substantial bowl.
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    There are so many that I have discovered since joining MFP. My favorite is probably shirataki noodles, they can be prepared so many ways, and only 40 calories.
    Also discovered vegetables do taste good with out being loaded with butter or cheese, if I do I use Parkay spray butter (0 cal) or Laughing Cow cheese wedges, (35 cal) these are wonderful.
    Turkey product are good too, most have a low Calorie count and are very tasty and can be added to lots of recipes that call for beef.
    I have found Turkey Ham, pepperoni, ground, sausage, and more.
    And of course you can't go wrong with sweet potatoes and squash's of all kind.
    I also eat a lot of the New Special K products, you really get a lot for the calorie count, and they satisfies that snack craving.
    My list is endless and I am still discovering new products everyday.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I avoid the packet soups because they usually have way too much salt in them.

My biggest discovery for 2012 has been coconut water. Yummy drink and brilliant after a session at the gym as it is great for rehydration and I get fed up with plain old water. I love it on my alcohol-free evenings.

Green tea. Brilliant for drinking at work in lieu of water and warms me up in a cold office.

Sweet potatoes. Filling and I can often get away with half a potato with my evening protein.

Beetroot, another discovery for 2012. I used to hate it as my family always prepared it with vinegar. I love it now in salads

Crab meat 50/50. Very filling and great with fresh limejuice for my salads.

Radishes, adds crunch and interest to salads

Peatops. Makes a change from lettuce.

pork chops, yes, weird as it sounds, these work for me because they are filling.

Teriyaki sauce, in moderation, brushed onto plaice or chicken

All fish

poached eggs
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Why not just list them anyway? Everyone knows fruits and vege are low cal options. But no one can live by them alone.

But they are far healthier than half the nutrient devoid stuff you list - something being edible doesn't make it food in the real sense of the word. Some anorexics eat toilet paper to fill their stomachs up, arguably healthier than Pepsi Max ('rots' teeth and bones) or CupaSoup (salt and starch) and on a par with pasta and noodles than passes through undigested. You can't live on any of the foods in your list alone, not even on the entire list put together. Sorry to seem harsh, but whilst we continue to think of nutrient devoid laboratory made products as food we won't ever become or remain healthy - surely that is what the 'Food and Nutrition' board is about?
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I also eat a lot of the New Special K products, you really get a lot for the calorie count, and they satisfies that snack craving.
    My list is endless and I am still discovering new products everyday.

Me too :wink: Special K Cracker Chips are my new go to "junk" food when I need my chip fix. They kind of remind me of Munchos but way less greasy.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i like steamed baby carrots at times .. im not fond of raw carrots but do not like them mushy either. ... another one is chicken , shrimp cocktail, any vegatables .....love beets!! , toasted whole grain sandwich thin or bagel thin with sugar free jelly on it or spray butter
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options

Because some folks like to crap on threads instead of ignoring them.

I disagree that you can't live on fruits and veggies though. You can thrive on my "Killer Salad".

Salads with any and all combination of veggies like lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, red onions, dried or fresh tomatoes, green beans, pinto beans, yellow beans, and garbanzo beans, corn, carrots, artichoke hearts, sliced olives, nuts, and fruits like raisins, strawberries, Craisins, pineapple chunks topped with a bit of amino and feta or grated cheese and other seasonings. Dressing, croutons or crumbled sweet potato chips, or crumbled rice crackers also optional. The more of all of these ingredients the more filling and yummy! The more veggies listed at the beginning of the list and less grain and cheese, the lower the calories.

Special K snacks - - love the brownies and cheddar chips

Grapes, Cuties, Apple slices

Sunflower seeds (in shells and no/low salt)

Air popped corn
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    arctic zero ice cream substitute, roasted eggplant- sliced thin to bake like french fries
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    although i don't endorse worrying too much about the calories in any specific food (since what matters is your totals for the day/week/month), i would say bananas belong on any list of amazing low cal foods. 105 calories, but lots of potassium and they can really help fill you up in the middle of the afternoon between breakfast and lunch, and between lunch and dinner. i'd also put eggs on the list. they've gotten an undeserved bad rap over the years, but at 70 calories each, they are a good source of protein and fats. scrambled or hard boiled are my preferences. red delicious apples (65 calories) and navel oranges (80 calories) round out my "go to" list of commonly eaten fruits.
  • SusanMarie7777
    SusanMarie7777 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love apples because they are very filling. When I'm hungry and before I reach for something I shouldn't have I eat an apple. Another favorite are banana's. Also like hot air popcorn, carrot sticks, celery with Natural peanut butter and Greek Yogurt. Another favorite are vegetable chips but I tend to over eat those.
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

I disagree, a person can live a much healthier life on fruits and veggies alone than on packaged and processed foods alone.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, meat and some fruit. You can always be pretty sure how many cals they are too.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite is sugar free pudding in a plain ice cream cone... 70 calories (cone and pudding), zero sugar (important for diabetics) and one of the best treats to snack on in the evening in front of the TV.

Another favorite... rice cakes. Quaker markets them in many flavors now, my favorite is cheese (low in calories and just a gram of sugar). Watch out for their higher sugar content flavors (such as brown sugar or maple), munching on sugar increases calories.

There is a list out there of "free foods"... foods with calorie counts so low, eating them (digesting them) burns the calories you take in... some of the foods include celery, cucumber, spinach... most fresh green vegetables.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    While I eat lots of vegetables, I don't purposefully choose low calorie foods. I definitely avoid low calorie/low fat processed foods. I eat nutrient dense foods. Therefore, my volume of food consumed is probably smaller but is actually more filling and healthy. I have a list of "amazing high cal foods" though.
  • sarrymerry
    sarrymerry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    homemade no-oil hummus and assorted veggies all the way!!
    also honeycrisp apples!
    lately I've been into those little peanut butter and crackers packs, 200 cals but satisfying!
    homemade veggie soup- can be as low as 50 cals per cup!
    earl grey tea with a tsp of honey
    greek yogurt parfaits with fruits and small amt of lite granola, somehow the prettier my food is, the more satisfied i feel!
    egg salad with made with one hard boiled egg and small amt of lite ranch and mustard, 100 cals. easy easy easy and delish for a filling snack.
    romaine lettuce wrap with tomatoes and slice of turkey
    tuna with greek yogurt, s/p, dill, tomatoes, and celery, eat on cucumber slices!
    so many delicious things, I'm hungry now!
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    So although the original poster may have listed low cal foods, they are def not a good option.... However, I highly doubt that is all she eats. They are very good for cravings, or if u have used up all your calories and need other foods!
    I always have frozen peas and when I am hungry or if I know I am going out an don't want to be starving I put them in the microwave with some water, salt and tomato paste.... Sounds gross, but it is a semi meal because it is like a very filling soup, low cal, no processed ingreds (v little!)
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    tea; calorie-free and belly-filling, especially in Winter months -- not to mention teas have nutritional benefits of their own (e.g., antioxidants)

vegetables; my recent favorites are bell peppers and cucumbers (with or without homemade hummus); broccoli (baked or steamed, with grated parmesan); spinach (in smoothies, sauteed, or in warm salads); and romaine (often I make a meal of an entire romaine heart)

celery dipped in salsa (which itself qualifies as an amazing, low-calorie food)

Shirataki noodles; not cheap, but a nice option to have when watching the carbs

Laughing Cow light cheese wedges, the decadence of a cheese spread without the guilt; also tasty melted into a warm salad

Smucker's sugar-free pancake syrup; in the event you, like me, are aware it's full of chemicals but simply can't stand the thought of slathering already heavy foods in a bath of maple syrup calories

apples, with my vote cast for honeycrisp, sweet tango, ambrosia, and granny smith

pickles (keeping in mind the sodium content); I particularly recommend a sugar-free bread & butter sweet variety

Swiss Miss Diet, 8 oz. of hot chocolate fix for 25 cal.

Oscar Mayer's Smoked Turkey Breast with White Turkey, 96% fat-free and 25 cal./perfectly sliced slice (vs. some cumbersome, piled-up, easily-shredded shaved deli meats)

butternut squash, sweet (e.g., crustless pumpkin pie-esque) or savory (e.g., baked like French fries, or as the "cream sauce" in pasta dishes)
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite is sugar free pudding in a plain ice cream cone... 70 calories (cone and pudding), zero sugar (important for diabetics) and one of the best treats to snack on in the evening in front of the TV.

GOT TO TRY THIS !!! THANKS