Any ex smokers or anyone trying to quit!

Options
Mjroxane
Mjroxane Posts: 41 Member
Hellooo allll ...:) i really would like some tips how to give up the *kitten* ... as everyone knows when stopping smoking you put weight on ( mainly the reason i have never quit) if anyone has pack in the *kitten* ...let me know how you did it and how you kept the weight off at the same time , i dont mind putting on the odd few pounds but i dont want to end up the weight i was when i 1st startd my diet as it takes time and hard work to loss the weight would hate to put it back on .... but would love to be an non-smoker! Any tips will be useful many thanks

Replies

• PapaPolarBear
    Options
    the last time I quit smoking i actually lost weight, but I was taking zyban, it gives you extra energy, which i just used at the gym to burn off more calories. Chantix helps too.
  • Mjroxane
    Mjroxane Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    like the idea of lossing weight well quitting as everytime ive tryd i have put on ... where could i get them from and do they cost much ...many thanks
  • alissaanne
    Options
    Hi! I am actually on day 1 of quitting lol! I have been successful in the past but always start back up...dumb I know lol! I took Chantix at one time and it made me really really nauseous and for me didn't curb the cravings. I think the reason we gain weight when we quit is we snack more so try to keep alot of healthy snacks around and don't give in to the temptation of eating every time you need a cig...it's weird how you can trade off 1 habit for another!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker for over 20 years and I quit in October of 2007. Thank GOD!!! It's a good idea to get into the habit of walking every day while you're trying to quit. It's best to start some form of exercise regimen while you're trying to quit. I used Chantix to stop smoking and it worked like a charm. Best of luck to you. And by the way, smoking is a lot more dangerous to your health than putting on a few pounds. :)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Got pregnant, miscarried - then got pregnant again and never smoked after.
    Your hair will smell better
    so will your fingers
    you won't get those crinkly lines around your lips from pulling on smokes your whole life
    better cardio endurance
    You will gain several years on your life
    You will have more money to spend on cute outfits
    Some research suggest that it may bring on Diabetes
    It's tied to a lot of cancers (tongue cancer anyone?)
    emphysema, really, an o2 tank is NOT the perfect accessory...
    Ahh - maybe someone will want to kiss you more often, ALL OVER.

need more reasons?
  • gfcyclistjogger
    gfcyclistjogger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking with the help of patches. I just drank a ton of water and kept myself going to the gym. If you are counting your calories, I wouldn't worry too much about packing on extra "quitting smoking" weight as I think (uneducated guess) that a lot of people will impulse eat instead of smoking a cig.

Just watch what you eat, keep your activity level relatively high and resist the urge.

Good luck!
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I've never smoked, but my husband quit over a year ago. It was really rough for him the first couple of weeks, maybe even a month! :explode: He set his quit date & hasn't touched one since! He tried the patches, Chantix, & going to "Stop Smoking" meetings, but none of these worked for him. The meetings made him want to smoke since they were just talking about how to quit! :ohwell: Each individual is different. These things may actually help you. The biggest thing I believe helped my husband was that I got him to start running with me & working out. He felt so good after running that he was glad he quit! He said he could smell all the flowers and plants like never before. It really made him feel like it was well worth it!
  • melaura
    melaura Posts: 7
    Options
    Yes on the Chantix! I did put on weight until I got off the chantix, but then I decided that I beat smoking and I could beat the weight thing. I started working out every day and dropped my calories to 1200 daily (most days) I eat low calorie snacks all day long and I'm also taking Phenteramine.

Good Luck!
  • lb4lb
    lb4lb Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey Oct 2006 and have never looked back. Log on to quit net. This site helped me through some pretty rough times.
    About the time I quit, I also left a twenty year marriage, so if I can do it with all that additional stress, you can do it too. Take it one day ata time.
  • fitandhealthy
    fitandhealthy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I consider myself a successful quiter. I started smoking at 15 years old when my lungs were still growing; what a HUGE mistake!. I always knew that I wanted to quit before I turned 30. 3 months before my 30th birthday, one day I said, 'ok, time to quit!". I stopped cold turkey and never cheated or had anything for 12 years! :happy:

The cravings never did go away, in fact, sometimes they were really bad, but I have good willpower. I never caved until one day I said.....I just want to be one of those 'social smokers' and be able to just smoke once in a while. I did that for 3 years, went months without smoking, just did it once in a while, which is not something many smokers can do.

Then 1 day, I said..."ok, done for good this time"! Again, quitting cold turkey, which in my opinion is the ONLY way to stop. That was 2 years ago, and I don't plan on picking it up again this time. Funny thing is, I don't have the cravings this time around. I never really enjoyed it much anyway, hated the taste, always gave me headaches, I always stunk of smoke, it really is a nasty habit. I would never date a smoker for the same reasons, so......isn't that enough of a reason to give it up?

My advice on how to do it? Cold turkey, keep busy, chew gum, suck on candy (sugar free), get up and do something...anything.....keep busy, don't stop. Whenever you get a craving, get up and do something until it passes. Don't hang with smokers....let everyone know that you are serious about quitting and ask for their support. If they don't give it to you, limit your time with them; they should support you even if they choose to smoke! If your habit is to smoke when drinking coffee.....don't drink coffee! Break whatever habit it is that is making you want to smoke....people, coffee, drinking.....whatever it is, just do it. Your life depends on it, you will be more attractive and smell better, and your loved ones will be SO happy! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have been smokefree for 11 weeks....after a 33 year addiction. I used Nicorette gum for about 3 weeks. Yes, the first couple weeks I gained 2 lbs but then I started working out and focusing on my calories in and out on this site and that helped take my mind off smoking and I did lose those extra pounds. Whenever I had the urge I would put in a workout dvd. I also made sure I had on hand plenty of sugarfree gum and sugarfree hard candy. Good luck with becoming smokefree. It's THE BEST thing you could possibly do for yourself!!!!
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I also used chantix and it helped a lot. Its getting easier everyday. I gained a few pounds the first couple weeks but lost it once my body adjusted to not getting nicotine. i think it screwed with my metabolism. Good luck with your quit!
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I quit last August after 11 years pack a day - i used Champix (which i think is the same as Chantix). Zyban gave me hives, but Champix was fantastic - was covered by my husband's benefits, though i think 12 weeks can run about $350 without coverage. it was worth it (side note- champix had some studies come out linking it to increased depression and suicidal tendencies, but only for those with a history and even smoking is killing us anyway! why not make the effort - like biggest loser contestants - if there's a danger in their increased exercise it is not greater than the danger their weight poses !)

anyway- there's my 20 cents (and if you do try champix, buy some Tums - there's a bit of heart burn by week 4 and i only did 6 weeks of pills)

good luck - you can do it!
  • johnmcfarm
    Options
    I quit smoking about five years ago. I chose a time carefully...and then also began an exercise regime (riding bicycle mostly), drank lot's of water (very important), ate organic foods and no meat for a couple weeks. I also found a good acupuncturist, yes it did give temporary relief.

I ended up losing about three pounds the first two weeks. I succeeded in quiting smoking...after thirty years! And, except for a couple of hours wasn't all that bad.

Later, when I quit the exercise regime and watching what I consumed I gained weight, but cannot say it was from quitting smoking as it was a few months after I had quit...just my "normal' weight problem.

Best of luck to you, if you like make me a friend and I can encourage you as you go. Have faith! Have Courage! and get on with it!!!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey after about 6 years of smoking. Although cold turkey isn't for everyone, I was actually able to do it! It's all mind over matter. You don't NEED that cigarette!

I got rid of any evidence I ever smoked: all lighters and matches. I stocked up on gum (we're talkin' VARIETY PACK!) I changed my schedules (smoke breaks became walking breaks, I stayed away from the smoking sections at bars). I set exercise goals (running 1 mile every day for a week, 2 miles a day the next...)

You can do it! Just change your mindset!
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    First congratulations on deciding to quit smoking!
    Second, YOU CAN DO THIS.

This will be day # 9 for me. I quit on April 1. I am using Nicorette gum, but I haven't really needed the gum too much in the past 2 days. I don't know why. I could be because right now I'm sick with some kind of cold/cough or whatever. Horrible coughing!

I was reading this book called: How to Stop Smoking, by Dr. Harry Adler and Karl Morris, and it says that through doing research they've found that hypnosis was the best way to quit and nicotene gum etc. was the worst! Well, the gum has been working for me so I ....... whatever.

I haven't gained any weight. Matter of fact I am steadily loosing lbs. I just log my food in MFP and keep doing my walk/exercise. When I get a craving for a cigg, I go walk on the treadmill.

Before I even quit I listed every little thing that was a trigger. Like, for example: driving. I used to NEED to smoke while driving. And the phone, I needed to smoke while on the phone. And on the computer, and after I ate, and with my coffee etc. etc.
    Then, I tried to figure out a way to either completely eliminate those activities or find something else to do besides smoking while doing them. For example: Now, instead of smoking while driving I have 'driving suckers'. And when I'm on the phone I walk around or doodle. etc. And I know, this next thing will sound kind of strange, but it works for me real good! Sometimes when I am craving a cigg, I pretend like I am actually holding a cigg and I put it up to my lips and actually take a deep breath, a BIG deep breath. Like I'm smoking! And pretty soon the craving is gone! (i know i probably look mighty weird sitting there, pretending to smoke! lol!)

I wish you GOOD LUCK! But I know you can do this. I'm 55 yrs. old, smoked since I was 13, smoking about a pk a day. If I can do it, YOU can do it!
    If you want you can 'friend' me for moral support. I need lots of that!
    sue
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 weeks clean after smoking for 15 years. It feels fantastic to finally have control. The hardest part about not smoking for me is my job. My boss stresses me out entirely WAY too much. I am using Zyban and Nicorette gum and have gained 2 pounds since my quit date :ohwell: The weight gain doesn't bother me that much when I compare it to the alternative.....hacking, weezing, DEATH. I hope you decide to quit. You CAN do it!