30-something looking for accountability

Options
Hi, I'm 33 and have struggled with my weight all my life. Today I weigh the most I've ever weighed and I'm not at all happy. I'm starting to experience minor health issues and don't want to gain any more weight or any more serious health issues. My goal for 2013 is to lose 50 lbs. But I need support and someone I can be accountable to. I'm recently separated too so I'm finding it easier to stuff my face than get on the treadmill.

Replies

• DawnVanHaaften
    DawnVanHaaften Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! I will be turning 37 in February and I just had 3 children in the last 3 1/2 years........I have been cleared to exercise now after my 3rd c section (which obviously means I have NO ABS now.....) so just started working out last night as my "new years party". I am in a similar situation. I am currently weighing 165 and the doctor said my ideal weight for my height (5'2") is 125. I haven't been that weight in about 15 years......so we'll see if it's possible. I would be happy at 130 I'm sure. But at any rate it looks as if I have 40 pounds to lose. I would love to be friends with you and we could help keep each other accountable! My weaknesses right now are staying away from sweets and not drinking enough water so then I don't feel as full....and eat and eat and eat......

Trying to get back into healthy eating with a lot of salads and raw veggies. I need to come up with a plan for more protein, but think I will use my protein recovery shakes as one thing to use. Mind if I add you as a friend? I will be sending a request!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 and am trying not to gain any more weight as well. So far, this has been a good experience as it seems like for the most part, the MFP community is supportive.

I understand the last part of your post. The past few years, I've run into some really stressful and/or bummer times and have become what I guess is an emotional eater. Nothing seems to make me feel better like ice cream and Doritos... not a good combo for trying to shed some pounds! I'm trying to change my ways and stay motivated with working out and look at the snacks as more of an occasional treat rather than a security blanket.

Good luck to you and I hope you can achieve the results you're looking for!
  • melmar76
    melmar76 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like!
  • Shunthor
    Shunthor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    DawnVanHaafte - Thanks so much for sharing your story. I'm sure those 3 kids keep you busy and a great way to get your exercise in! As far as protein goes - have you thought about adding legumes into your diet? They pack alot of protein. Also, there's a new thing I'm trying - quinoa. I love eating rice so I'm using quinoa as a replacement for rice and its also high in protein. Check it out.

gogochajl - I come to realize that a big part of eating issues throughout my life has been emotionally eating - I eat when I'm happy and sad! I need to find better ways to celebrate the happy moments. Food was always a way to celebrate the good times in my family.

For me, I guess I really have about 70-95 lbs to lose according to the BMI calculator. But I'm starting out with a smaller goal - trying to lose 50 lbs at the end of 2013 and we'll see where that takes me. Hoping to lose 4-5 lbs per month.

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm also a nurse - so I know what I should and should not be doing to be and stay healthy. But I'm trying not to beat myself up about it and then start emotionally eating.

I'm also trying to eat more raw veggies cuz it really does fill me up faster. I have found that if I cut up the raw veggies ahead of time, I'll be more likely to eat them. If I have to prepare every time before a meal, I'm less likely to do thru the hassle. I just realized this past week what veggies works me - tomatoes and cucumbers and carrots. It has totally worked. I just need to buy more of it!

Good luck this week, Ladies! :-)
  • isabulle13
    Options
    I am also looking for accountability! So you guys can add me if you like, I will be happy to provide support as well.

And Shunthor, I am a biologist and I am in the same boat - I think it's like smoking, smokers (and I am a former one!) are usually the best informed on the disasters it causes. Plus, nursing is not exactly the least stressful of jobs, talking about emotions!

I am loving soups and slow cooker right now - veggie filled soups with a bit of barley or rice. The water in it fills me up quite a bit, allows me to have my water intake, and it's cold - so I feel also "warmer". I am seriously fighting sugars though.

Good luck all!
  • debclif
    debclif Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am 34 and have two kids 2 and 5. I promised myself years ago that I would be healthy by 35, and be able to run again comfortably. Well, I am 4 1/2 months from turning 35 and need to get my game on. Need people to bother and harass me, but I want to do the same to someone else. Good Luck all! May all of us be in skinny jeans by the summer!
  • lynn_hickey
    lynn_hickey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 with 2 kids....and I want more than anything to set a healthy example for them and have a role model for them in their own house. I started in March (when I turned 30!) and have been learning a lot and loving every step of the way!!

MFP is a great place to start and stay :)