Good substitutes for pasta?

Options
I am a vegetarian and I'm trying to stay away from using bread and pasta as the vehicle for everything I cook. Does anyone have any cheap and healthy ways to cook without these two temptations? I've used fresh spinach to add bulk to recipes but it doesn't go with absolutely everything and can get pricey. I've used rice for creamy dishes as well but I get bored of it quickly.

Replies

• Chelseatheturtle
    Chelseatheturtle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is really good, but I can't really stand the taste of squash by itself, so I add spaghetti sauce on it.
  • sazzet
    sazzet Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Have you tried fresh rice noodles? I can't find fresh in egypt so I use dry rice noodles. Fresh rice noodles are low in the glycemic index.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    - spaghetti squash, well-drained

- Shirataki noodles; generally cheapest purchased online in bulk

- ribboned zucchini, summer squash, or other vegetable

- rice noodles, located in the grocery's Asian section

- kelp/seaweed noodles

- cauliflower, e.g., http://rachels-ramblings-2.blogspot.com/2011/07/grain-free-pasta-salads.html

- eggplant, esp. as a substitute for lasagna noodles

- another lasagna noodle alternative: grain-free tortillas/crepes, e.g., http://www.againstallgrain.com/2011/05/04/grain-free-tortillas/

- homemade gnocchi from either white or sweet potatoes (depending on your starch intake), eggs, and gluten-free flour (e.g., sweet potato flour)

- homemade pasta made with a wheat-free flour, e.g., http://www.ehow.com/way_5291342_recipe-gluten-pasta.html
  • sazzet
    sazzet Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Have you tried fresh rice noodles? I can't find fresh in egypt so I use dry rice noodles. Fresh rice noodles are low in the glycemic index.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is really good, but I can't really stand the taste of squash by itself, so I add spaghetti sauce on it.

I was going to say spaghetti squash! I actually really like it plain, so I sometimes just eat it with some salt, pepper, and galic. It's also really good if you add some parmesan to it. I've had it with a light alfredo sauce too that was delicious! It's super easy to make too, just pop it in the oven or microwave.
  • cfox5122
    Options
    We just did a cauliflower pizza crust.. Not bad.. but I miss my "real crust". But quite acceptable. Try spagetti squash as well.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash!!!! mmmm!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It depends why you're avoiding bread and pasta. If you just want to avoid wheat, then what about rice, potatoes or quinoa?
  • Janalynrenee18
    Janalynrenee18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    DreamFields Pasta always helped me... as well as quinoa! Cauliflower pasta too!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Barilla Plus pasta is a higher protein and fiber pasta that I really like (3g of protein more per serving and double the fiber) - you can eat a smaller portion and be just as full plus get the extra protein and what not. Then you can also continue with your strategy to eat more vegetables and stuff in it but not have to totally give up pasta.