Book suggestions

Options
Hi folks. I am looking for some book or literature suggestions that may help or inspire a person to lose weight or get motivated to exercise.

This isn't for me, but for a family member who will be bed ridden for at least a few more weeks while recovering from surgery. The reasons for the surgery are in part, though not completely, because of obesity related health problems. This family member seems to finally be ready to commit to losing the weight, eating right and getting exercise.

She says this now, but I want to make sure she is still saying it once she gets the all clear from the doctor to get on with her life. Though it will be a while before she can start exercising I would like to help keep her motivated. I thought some good books could be one way to help, since she is going to be bed bound for a while longer (and I know she is fed up with TV).

Any thoughts? Have any of you read any books that helped inspire you on your weight loss journey?

Replies

• mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I just read the Success stories on here and other websites.I have LOTS of weight loss books,but the Success stories on here seem to motivate me more.
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't know particular titles but books on healthy eating, cooking, vegetables, at least some information will stay with her.
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just read the Success stories on here and other websites.I have LOTS of weight loss books,but the Success stories on here seem to motivate me more.

Same for me, I have even copied a few success stories to forward to her to read when the time is right. I've signed her up for this site, but I can't physically make her log in or drag her here to read anything. I figure dropping a book on her lap while she is trapped in bed might work.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    The Hairy Dieters cook book & TV programme could be a start point to show weight loss does not need to be a PITA, tasty food & sensible, not running a marathon, exercise can work well
  • isa75
    Options
    I don't know particular titles but books on healthy eating, cooking, vegetables, at least some information will stay with her.

Yes, thanks, I was thinking along those lines. I've already bought her a few healthy eating cookbooks that I found at a books sale. I guess I was just hoping for some specific titles that people like since there are a thousand options out there.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    "Made to Crave" is what inspired me over the past 2 years. It is a Christian bible-based book.
  • isa75
    Options
    The Hairy Dieters cook book & TV programme could be a start point to show weight loss does not need to be a PITA, tasty food & sensible, not running a marathon, exercise can work well

Thanks I'll check it out.
  • isa75
    Options
    "Made to Crave" is what inspired me over the past 2 years. It is a Christian bible-based book.
    Thanks!
  • joanneg572
    joanneg572 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Great Question!
    There are sooo many diet and exercise books out there!
    I especially liked these 2 because they deal with the emotional side of overeating...
    1. The Hunger Fix (The Three Stage Detox And Recovery Plan for Overeating And Food Addiction)- by Pam Peeke
    2 The Beck Diet Solution (Train Your Brain To Think Like A Thin Person)- by Judith Beck

Here is Part 1 of a 6 part Youtube BBC Documentary called "How To Be Slim" that is also very interesting....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSm1dWjMGeM
  • isa75
    Options
    Great Question!
    There are sooo many diet and exercise books out there!
    I especially liked these 2 because they deal with the emotional side of overeating...
    1. The Hunger Fix (The Three Stage Detox And Recovery Plan for Overeating And Food Addiction)- by Pam Peeke
    2 The Beck Diet Solution (Train Your Brain To Think Like A Thin Person)- by Judith Beck

Here is Part 1 of a 6 part Youtube BBC Documentary called "How To Be Slim" that is also very interesting....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSm1dWjMGeM

Thank you!
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The best book I've read lately is "Younger Next Year". There are versions for men and women. I don't know how old your friend is. The books are geared towards people in their 50's and 60's looking to retain the best possible quality of life as they age.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Guide to Flexible Dieting by Lyle McDonald. Covers all the basics on losing weight the right way.
  • isa75
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everybody!
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    http://bestsellers.about.com/od/nonfictionreviews/gr/french_wom_r.htm
    A partial review from the above website:

French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano is a fabulous "non-diet" book. The recipes are delicious, the advice makes sense and the writing makes it read more like a story than a health book. I am not sure it would be sufficient for someone with serious weight problems; however, it is a good book for people who are looking for a healthy, enjoyable lifestyle rather than a diet.

Another part of the review:

Guiliano is not a nutritionist, but her advice seems like common sense--the sort of thing your mother might have told you. Her philosophy has pleasure at its core and seems simple enough, but it is also sort of counter-cultural. Guiliano is not selling fast pleasures, she is selling deep pleasures. Don't eat in your car. Savor each bite. She talks about love and sensuality. This is not your typical diet book.

I heard about this book a few years ago. I've never read it myself, but I've heard good things about it. It may trigger some motivation for her on how to successfully incorporate regular food into her life. That's how I'm losing my weight. I'm not eating real "clean," but what I'm doing is working for my lifestyle. Wouldn't hurt to read it.
  • KandisV
    KandisV Posts: 26
    Options
    Younger Next Year for women totally keeps me inspired!!