Birth Control

Options
Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm 19, never been on any kind of birth control before, but i'm at a point where I feel I probably should be. However, I have heard so much about the side effects, including weight gain, which terrifies me! I feel i've worked so hard over the past year or two to lose weight, and I don't want it to come back. Anyone know which kinds of BC are less likely to cause weight gain? Thanks.

Replies

• mariena
    mariena Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Do you know what causes more weight gain than birth control? PREGNANCY! Get on BC asap if you are 19 and sexually active. Everyone reacts to different BC's differently so ask your Dr. about it and you may end up trying a few before you find one you like.
  • skroll
    skroll Posts: 24
    Options
    I agree get on it and you may have to try more than one to find the right one for you. As long as you are mindful of what you put into your body you will do fine. Keep up the good work.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I use the generic version of Alesse and haven't had any issues with weight gain. It also got rid of my massively debilitating cramps :bigsmile: The other plus is that TOM only sticks around 3 days. :drinker:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine on the NovaRing said she had very little side effects and only a 5 lb weight gain (all in her boobs). Talk to a doctor, do some research.
  • tanyewest
    tanyewest Posts: 113
    Options
    I am 19 also 20 in a few weeks, but been using BC for about 2 years. I am currently on #microgynon 30#. It reacts differently with everyone. My best friend was on this and got quite upset easily, I have been on it for 2 years and have never had problems. As for weight gain, I don't know many cases of people randomly putting on weight just for taking this pill. The reason people CAN gain weight is mainly because it increases your appetite - but if you bare that in mind, and try not to over eat you won't put any weight on :)

Hope this helps! P.s go to your doctors and tell them you want to take BC now to be safe, they will then ak you about your health history and then take your blood pressure. If all is OK they will give you the pill I am probably taking, if for any reason you aren't happy with this pill, go back and see your GP and they will put you on a different one. There are a variety of different BC incase one isn't working out for you.

Hope this advice helps in any way.
    Love Tanya :flowerforyou:
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    HAHA! I love your response, Mariena! It's so true, but it still cracked me up.

Anyways, I've been using Yaz for a while now (and been on birth control for like 4 years now). I've been able to lose weight just fine being on it. I also don't recall any major weight gain when I started taking it, but it was my freshman year of college and I'm sure the Freshman 15 were more related to the delicious and never-ending supply of dining hall food than the BC pills.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    The benefits outweight the risk of weight gain. If you are sexually active, you should be on the pill. If you are using the pill for pain control (I did this with ovarian cysts), the benefits outweigh the risk of weight gain.

Birth control changes your hormones around, which makes you hungrier... or not. Be aware of your body when you start the pill and you'll be just fine. If you notice a couple extra pounds, adjust your eating/exercise.
  • sarahricks
    sarahricks Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    For me pretty much any that have hormones in I gain weight from. I got a paraguard IUD. It lasts up to 10 years, and doesn't have any of the hormones, so you don't get many side effects. For me it was either that of condoms. The 6 months I was on birth control with hormones I gained 25 pounds
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Different people react differently to different birth control pills, so just talk to your doctor and you will be able to find something that will work well for you! :) You may have to try a few before you find one that gives you the fewest side effects, but it'll be worth it!

Good luck!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    talk to your doctor for sure. I've been on different pills for the past 4 years or so and you just have to find one that works for you. The only weight gain i experienced was in my boobs and my butt and I can't say I'm complaining! (but who knows if that was because of the hormones or not) The only thing I've heard about weight gain is the depo shot so i might start with something else.
  • Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    talk to your doctor for sure. I've been on different pills for the past 4 years or so and you just have to find one that works for you. The only weight gain i experienced was in my boobs and my butt and I can't say I'm complaining! (but who knows if that was because of the hormones or not) The only thing I've heard about weight gain is the depo shot so i might start with something else.

I'm on Depo and did not notice a weight gain. I love being on it, I get no TOM and no PMS. No noticeable side effects either. but it does take up to a year to get your TOM back to normal so you will need to bear this in mind for when you want to start a family.

xx
  • Jessica_Laraine
    Options
    I work in an OB/GYN office and the advice we give our patients is to maintain a healthy diet and exercise. Birth control reacts differently with everyone, however, it doesn't MAKE anyone gain weight. It changes the hormone level in your body and can cause you to be more emotional and WANT to eat, but as long as you are in control of your diet, then you should be fine. I would try a low dose hormone birth control such as LoEstrin 24 or Ortho Lo and go from there.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Jus like everyone has said, it works different on each person,you have to just find the right one for you

But the sure way for weight gain is pregnancy (as mariene said), which if you are not ready for that, then a little weight gain, to test the different pills until you find the right pill, far outweighs getting pregnant

But also, seeing as though you arent sure how you will react to the pill, watch what you eat, excercise more, try and counteract the pill, by doing positive things, to help you not gain any weight or as much weight
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I was on Desogen for 6 yrs with no weight gain and now I've been on nuvaring for 4 yrs off and on (between babies) and no weight gain or side effects.
  • dporter1183
    dporter1183 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The birth control doesn't make you gain weight itself. It may increase your apetite, causing you to eat more or crave fattier foods. That is what will cause you to pack on the lbs.

Just be mindful of what you are eating and you should be fine.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It may take you a while to figure out which one works best for you so don't get discouraged. There are SOOOO many different types out there that you just have to try them all.

I've been taking Yaz forever and it works well for me. No weight gain, short periods and it has a diuretic in it so that helps with bloating. BUT....it's not for everyone so like I said don't get discouraged.
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I work in an OB/GYN office and the advice we give our patients is to maintain a healthy diet and exercise. Birth control reacts differently with everyone, however, it doesn't MAKE anyone gain weight. It changes the hormone level in your body and can cause you to be more emotional and WANT to eat, but as long as you are in control of your diet, then you should be fine. I would try a low dose hormone birth control such as LoEstrin 24 or Ortho Lo and go from there.

Exactly!!! I was looking for an old copy of Healthy Living Magazine. A Doctor answerd the same question. The answer was "no weight gain". But definately hormone changes where most woman will over eat emotionally because of it. If you have control of your daily intake it won't effect you.

Now, as a mother, please read and understand what I'm about to say. BC can maybe prevent you from getting pregnant but definately WILL NOT protect you from STD'S. Still use a condom if he is not your partner for life (Husband).

Now here is the BEST birth control information for you........I have been taking my birth control for over 15 years every night religiously. My third child was conceived on Loestrin and 4th & 5th children (my twins) were conceived Yaz.

People say that visiting my house is the best form of birth control.............Think twice before doing anything, it can change your life FOREVER!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Bethinagain- Your kids are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Hormonal BC can also cause water retention, fatigue, increased appetite, loss of sex drive, DVT, depression, migraines, weight LOSS, breast sensitivity or swelling, breakouts, breakthrough bleeding...etc.

It varies highly by person. Personally I've tried 8 kinds (by varying hormone content) and get the same symptoms from each - fatigue, depression, severe migraines...daily, and water retention. If you have severe symptoms (severe migraines, depression) such as I had, that's a good sign you're not compatible with that hormonal birth control. Some side effects could be the pre-cursor to more serious problems.

Weight gain (and I know doctors completely brush this off) occurs through water retention. Ever take BC, put on weight quickly, go off it, then drop the weight quickly? Good chance it's water retention. Diet, diuretics, or a pot of coffee will do little to nothing to "cure" this.

It's an easy means of birth control if you're compatible with it. If not, check out paragard (IUD) or barrier methods.
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Bethinagain- Your kids are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, you're so kind!