Paleo Diet?

Options
OK so since I'm looking ahead for my health goals of 2013, my sister told me about the Paleo Diet. She lost 40lbs on it last year. I looked over the link she sent me (see below) but have a few questions since there are 2 things that are not part of the diet that love: dairy and sweetner (Diet Coke fan!)
http://www.multiplydelicious.com/thefood/questions-on-paleo/

-For those who are on the Paleo Diet, what is your feedback? Pros? Cons?

-Since I love dairy (even though I traditionally don't consume much daily), what are alternatives to milk and cheese?

-What's the easiest way to 'ween' into a diet like this?

Replies

• divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    First off, Paleo is not a diet, it's a lifestyle. The best thing to do is join the Paleo/Primal group for advice because the haters will be out full-force shortly. Then get rid of all the bread and boxed crap in your pantry, and stock up on real, whole foods like meats and vegetables. Pick up a couple books like It Starts With Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig, The Paleo Solution by RObb Wolf, and The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. You will learn what foods are acceptable or not and why, and how to move your body to maximum benefit. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I could personally never do it, it's way too restrictive for me. You don't have to go cave man to eat healthy...just make better choices in your day to day. As someone else stated, it's really a lifestyle, not a diet that you start and then go off of down the road....and like I said, way to restrictive for me. There's nothing wrong with dairy in moderation...in fact, it's a great source of protein and calcium; both essential, so you'd have to pick those nutrients up elsewhere. The list goes on and on...I'm not a hater and I've known people who have gotten into this and it's almost cultish IMHO, but they love it; just wouldn't work at all for me.

I would do some pretty serious research on this before you dive in. If you just want to lose weight and get better nutrition, Paleo is overkill in my estimation. Just eat at a deficit and make better decisions...put down that coke and have some water...put down that cookie and have an orange...get more veggies and whole grains over highly processed grains, etc, etc, etc. I'm not doing anything remotely close to Paleo and I've lost 12 Lbs in 3 months...that would average out to about 48 Lbs in a year. I only mention it to stress the point that you don't have to do anything like Paleo to lose weight...you lose weight by eating at a deficit, period.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat from an arbitrary list that some guy made up, paleo is for you.
    There are some good points to it but it's just too arbitrarily restrictive. Paleo man ate different things in different places and no one knows what that is. Unscientific. If you want to be like paleo man, eat the first thing you come across because you're hungry and an omnivore. That means roadkill or McDonalds. Doesn't matter. You've adapted to eat many things and have become a very successful species. :happy:
    Then get all the nutrients we've learned are healthy/neccessary and eat at a deficit to lose weight.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    First off, Paleo is not a diet, it's a lifestyle. The best thing to do is join the Paleo/Primal group for advice because the haters will be out full-force shortly. Then get rid of all the bread and boxed crap in your pantry, and stock up on real, whole foods like meats and vegetables. Pick up a couple books like It Starts With Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig, The Paleo Solution by RObb Wolf, and The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. You will learn what foods are acceptable or not and why, and how to move your body to maximum benefit. Good luck!
    I have a vegan friend that has the same type of conviction as you. I think it's needed in order to commit to those types of diets.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I don't think restricting an entire food group is wide; just controlling it. I love dairy so this would be too tough for me. My sister lost 40 lbs on Paleo. But she's also a chef and cooks all clean foods for her clients. I can't afford that!
  • jeffn9
    jeffn9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    One thing I've noted was that Paleo era humans didn't really live that long. Probably due to meds/disease and the like, but can't help but wonder if their diet played into it a bit. Also Forks over Knives has some things to talk about re: meat proteins and cancer that might be of concern as well.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You can still eat dairy on on Primal "diet". It's just like Paleo, but allows full fat dairy products - full fat plain yogurt, cheese, heavy cream for coffee, etc. Check out "Balanced Bites" and their book "Practical Paleo". You can find Balanced Bites on Facebook and they have some great podcasts (free) as well. I like both of the women who founded this...they're not Paleo Police like so many of the site/folks you find. Good luck!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    If you want to keep dairy in your diet, look to Paleo's more relaxed little brother, Primal.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I think the Primal Lifestyle would be better suited for you, since it allows for dairy. Other than that, all I can suggest is that you research it and then jump in with both feet. You'll feel like crap for a bit while your body adjusts, then you'll feel great. It's just a matter of getting over that intial phase. Feel free to add me. I'm trying the Whole 30 and Paleo lifestyle today.
  • lcnick_38
    Options
    I am a Lacto-Paleo and have been for at least three years. I lost 138lbs with this diet and was monitored by my doctor monthly for the first year ( in which I lost over 100bs). The reason for seeing the doctor was because I was a Type 2 diabetic and my meds needed to be adjusted down each month. I will say that once I really was into the diet I had normal labs for the first time in my life. I have taken a lot negative comments from people over the years for my way of eating but my theory is you got to do whatever works for you. I will say I made new changes each month to keep from losing my mind. BTW the month I gave up diet coke I had the best loss of weight the entire time except maybe my first month. Anyways feel free to add me and inbox any questions and I will be happy to help. Also it is a myth that people on paleo do not eat carbs so don't believe everything people tell you. Also there is much more variety of foods then you might think but you will have to get used to cooking more. Good luck.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I am a Lacto-Paleo

aka Primal
  • paulagj
    paulagj Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • katyparish
    katyparish Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I think you should give Primal a try. It does allow for full-fat dairy (I use Silk in my coffee) but the focus is still on clean veggies and lean meat. The biggest advice I can give you is to cut out wheat completely. If you get some time, skim "Wheat Belly," it's a super interesting read about how the government has pushed "healthy" whole wheat on Americans and how, as a result, we're unhealthier than we've been in ages. Wheat is in EVERYTHING but by just cutting out processed foods, bread, sweets, and what I call "tangible" wheat, you will feel infinitely better, sleep better, and have energy through the roof. The weight loss is a great side effect - I lost 8 pounds (of mostly water weight, I'm sure) the first week. It's definitely a lifestyle though, not a diet. If you add wheat back in, expect to lose the benefits you worked so hard to gain.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    One thing I've noted was that Paleo era humans didn't really live that long. Probably due to meds/disease and the like, but can't help but wonder if their diet played into it a bit. Also Forks over Knives has some things to talk about re: meat proteins and cancer that might be of concern as well.

Here we go again with the same old fallacies. There has been extensive research on hunter/gatherer tribes, past and present, and those peoples still eating their original diet, modern degenerative diseases such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, autoimmune disorders, etc etc etc are/were non existent. People died young for other reasons such as injuries, being eaten by another animal, natural disasters etc. Don't confuse longevity with quality of life. Not the same. The only problem with eating meat is eating GRAIN fed meat. Animals were meant to graze on perennial plants, not be confined in small areas and fed grain. But, whatever.

OP: I'm not sure that you've fully investigated this lifestyle. To really know it you should do a lot of research, and if you decide to try it, be 100% for at least one month. The health improvements for most people are nothing short of miraculous. And if you really want to have the opinions from paleo/primal people try asking in the paleo/primal forum. It's beyond frustrating to get disrespected and ridiculed by people who haven tried it and haven't done any research beyond just looking at the government issued food pyramid.
  • lcnick_38
    Options
    yeah I guess that is probably more correct...although I don't eat the dairy very often at all but I sure don't worry about it if I do have some cheese.
  • lcnick_38
    Options
    this was in regards to lacto- primal being primal
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    First off...you better join the Paleo group, your going to get alot of naysayers on here....

however I've been Paleo for 10 weeks, and best thing I ever did, after being at a standstill forever, I am finally making progress again, my BF% went down 3% in 8 weeks, and lost 6 pounds in 8 weeks that I couldnt get off before, feel better, more energy, acne gone, anxiety gone...lots of health benefits. But really its a lifestyle meant for life, if you do have weight to lose, yes you will defenitely lose it, but its meant to be a lifetime commitment. I wouldnt call it a diet.

Alot of commitment as well, lots of planning and cooking as you are eating whole foods, nothing prepackaged.
  • jeffn9
    jeffn9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am just posting what I've read and researched. Since the internet has no creds, it's good to present all sides. The fact is that if you look at Cornell's research on this, as well as the Cleveland Clinic and the P rating of those clinical studies I would imagine it would be somewhat prematures to be accurately considered a fallacy at this point if JAMA won't call it that yet, especially after a 15 year testing trial phase.

Again, just putting some food for thought out there that it animal and dairy proteins can be an issue (and I still eat meat, just in moderation so maybe I'm a little bit of a hypocrite if anything). She asked for cons and it's good to get those cons from both people that are doing the diet, but also people that decided not to do that diet and why they didn't.
  • hiest26
    hiest26 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I was using My Fitness Pal I was following a Paleo Diet... Which has now become a Paleo Lifestyle for me. I lost 33 pounds and got rid of a host of other health issues. The main thing with paleo is that you cut out or drastically reduce the amount of processed garbage that is standard in today's "normal" diet. As far as the dairy issue... I totally hear you... I actually do eat some dairy such as cheese and occasionally heavy cream. When I eat a lot of dairy or if I drink milk I can get bloated and fat loss slows down. Again, that's me... not necessarily applicable to your situation. I would suggest cutting down dairy and seeing how you feel. If you feel better then maybe leave it out. I find coconut milk to be a pleasure for smoothies and cooking. I use the whole fat version and I think you'll find it a good substitute in a lot of cooking situations.
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I started eating primal for a few reasons. 1) I relied far too much on rice and pasta as side dishes. By restricting my food choices, I'm actually starting to eat a much wider variety of food. 2) I suspected that I might have problems with something in my diet, since I felt sick almost every morning and had other digestive problems. Gluten seemed like it might be a possiblity, so I decided to cut down on that. 3) Pasta, rice, and bread are super calorie dense, but I didn't feel full as long as I do the way I'm eating now. I chose primal because I also love dairy, and I don't seem to have any problems with that as long as I'm moderate with it.

Benefits I have noticed: Full longer, more energy, my acne has entirely disappeared (which has NEVER happened before), don't feel bloated after meals, improved digestion. However, you won't lose weight *just* from eating this way. You still have to calorie count and exercise (some people treat it as a "magic bullet").

A good way to 'wean' yourself onto the eating style is to take items out one by one. For example, I removed the gluten and grains first, because that was the biggest change for me. But I didn't worry about the sugar or anything else yet. Next I'll focus more on getting my sugar intake down. If you don't want to start by taking out a whole food group, maybe try taking out one specific food at a time, like removing bread first, then pasta, then rice, etc.

I know you mentioned not having a lot of time and money. I made some concessions about the "organic" thing, which I don't think is as important as just eating healthy fruits and veggies and lean meats (I buy a lot of cheap frozen veggies in bulk and then portion them out into freezer bags) and it has actually turned out to be a bit cheaper. Just pay attention to what you're buying, look for lean meat on sale, buy veggies frozen if you can't afford fresh. As for the time thing, there are plenty of paleo/primal foods that can be made quickly, or in the crockpot, or which you can make ahead on the weekends and eat during the week.

Also, if you're worried about missing certain foods, some people eat this way in a 90/10 style, or an 80/20 style, so you can occasionally fit in something with grains or refined sugars, etc. It just depends on how strict you want to be with it.