Assist me in composing a grocery list?

Options
Hello! I'm new to MFP and just embarking upon making more propitious dietary choices. In the past, I would unhesitatingly devour of surfeit of Cup Noodles, potato chips, various sodas, a myriad of desserts, etc in rapacious succession. In one sitting. Dear lord.

I'm becoming conscious of how deleterious those inclinations would be, both short term and long term, and aspiring to alter such mentalities! Regrettably, I still live at home, and my mom is habituated with purchasing things of that nature, as I would previously request them. I have informed her that I believe we should be more health oriented as a whole, but acting will trump chiding.

That established, I'm horribly nescient in regards to what foods are advisable. I would very much appreciate any and all suggestions as to foods that are reasonably priced, vegetarian, and low in calories. Thank you!

Replies

• jiggy_gibby
    Options
    Shop the perimeter of the store only. Fruit and veg, lean meats, eggs & dairy are all on the outer edges. Stay out of the middle aisles, period.

P.S. Your English teacher would love your vocab choices. Make your food choices as rich and nutritious!
  • Bethany7053
    Bethany7053 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Of course fruits and vegetables will be a good choice, I also eat many many beans and nuts!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You should not only be eating only low calorie foods as a vegetarian, that won't get you a balance of all the nutrients you need for health it will end up super carb heavy which is exactly what you have already been doing. The body needs certain fats for health and weight management (nuts, seeds, avocado, olives, block creamed coconut, cocoa). Consider a marine algae supplement for long chain omega-3s.

Purchase eighteen different low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables (fresh, frozen, dried, canned) in the full rainbow of colours, a variety of reduced fat dairy such as cottage cheese, extra light soft cheese, Greek yoghurt, and a little hard cheese for more calcium, omega-enriched eggs, egg whites, nuts (peanuts and almonds are lowest in fat), seeds (pumpkin, hemp, ground flax, chia for omegas and minerals), beans, lentils, pot barley, jumbo or steel cut oats, flavourings like spice blends, herbs, garlic and chilli, no added salt yeast extract, cocoa powder (packed with minerals).
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Seasnax-toasty onion flavor (yummy seaweed cooked in olive oil, 42 calories for the whole bag)
    Joseph's bakery flax, oat bran, and whole wheat lavash (huge thing of bread for only 100 calories and it has 10g protein)
    Smucker's sugar free strawberry preserves (I like to put it on the bread or on protein pancakes, only 10 calories per TBSP)
    Tofu shirataki noodles (40 calories for an 8 oz package of noodles)
    Some sort of protein powder
    Unsweetened almond milk (40 calories a cup)
    Plain oats (140-150 calories for a half cup)
    PB2 (low calorie peanut butter)
    Strawberries (less sugar than most fruits)
    Cucumbers*
    Lettuce*
    Alfalfa sprouts*
    *put in the bread for an awesome wrap

I think that covers most of it
  • Bookchick887
    Bookchick887 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Oats
    Fruits
    Vegetables
    Various varieties of lettuce
    Sprouts
    Rice cakes
    Natural ground peanut butter (health food store)
    Vita tops for snacks- 100 cal muffin tops in the freezer
    Happyherbivore,com has great recipes to try!
  • Rethesa
    Rethesa Posts: 19
    Options
    All of these suggestions are most definitely going to be serviceable. I'll employ them promptly. I appreciate the exhortations in relation to my additional desideraturms as a vegetarian; I do need to be more knowledgeable of them, so those are quite conducive!

Thank you so much, kind strangers, for apportioning time from your day to aiding my betterment! c:
  • RockstarPunch
    RockstarPunch Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Kale
    Rainbow Chard
    Almonds
    Beets
    Almond butter
    Alfalfa sprouts
    Avocado
    Tomato
    Eggplant
    Acorn squash
    Sweet Potato
    Spinach
    Greens
    Grapeseed oil
    Quinoa (If you mix quinoa and cous cous it is a nice protien enriched small side with veggies( add garlic and olive oil and a little salt and it comes out pretty good)
    Bok Choy
    Celery

If you let go of any faux food (fake meat-fake cheese-fake sweets----> soy based ) you will see a difference, look at raw food and raw food shopping list----> which is actually closer to the root of the foundation of vegetarianism (the faux food is the commercial mainstream vegertarianism)
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and I also like to cook most of my husband and I's dinners from scratch. Are you looking for a list example for cooking from scratch or things that are easy for you to prepare when you get home from school/work that dont require much more than a microwave? Either way I have some easy ideas and some more time consuming ones.
  • miasapearl
    miasapearl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is what I bought for my week's worth of grocery for less than $25.

6 bags of frozen vegetables - spinach, broccoli, green beans (since there's not that many in season right now)
    cabbage
    unbleached flour to make my own bread
    pasta sauce
    cilantro
    lots of spices (I avoid using salt)
    cucumber
    alfalfa sprout
    organic carrot
    lentils
    salad mix

(I already have oats, quinoa, millet, brown rice, wild rice, ground chia seed, and almond milk in my pantry)

I make a lot of stir fried veggies without using oil... add some water when the pan is hot and the steam will cook the vegetables.
  • Rethesa
    Rethesa Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm not averse to cooking, though I'm certainly not proficient at it. I have been more disposed to trifle with creating things that are actually edible and that I don't burn upon coming in contact with as of late, so either route would be practicable. :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You really have a lot of choices. Start with:
    Low Fat dairy, Greek yogurt, low-fat cheese.
    Whole grain bread.
    Peanut butter,
    Nuts
    Fruits
    Veggies
    Lean red meat
    Chicken breast
    Fish like haddock and salmon.

Try to stay away from pre-made meals, processed meats & foods.

Instead of going crazy, just add the good stuff in to what you have been doing. Get a food scale and log every day.

Good luck.
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm not averse to cooking, though I'm certainly not proficient at it. I have been more disposed to trifle with creating things that are actually edible and that I don't burn upon coming in contact with as of late, so either route would be practicable. :)

Hello
    I also still live at home and my mom loves buying junk!! I am also bad at cooking...
    I try to shop the perimeter of the store. I also just eat in moderation and have "treats" from time to time.
    Staples:
    Greek yogurt
    Milk
    String cheese
    Shredded cheese-for salads
    Yogurt-I get the big canister that is just yogurt/non processed and add in cinnamon. Generic/store brand is cheaper
    Chicken
    Fish
    Tuna
    Eggs
    Beans/tomatoes/spaghetti sauce ect for chili
    Romaine lettuce or spinach
    Red & Green peppers
    Salad dressing-I just dip it or eat it in moderation
    Bananas
    Apples-LOVE apples!
    Pears sometimes in the fall
    Nuts/almonds
    Popcorn-light butter and I like the ones that are single serving size because if it is just you, you don't want to eat popped corn a day later?
    Peanut butter & bread-sometimes I like a pb sandwich with a banana
    Broccoli, carrots, cauliflower ect can all be steamed to eat
    Raisins-sometimes I put those in my oatmeal
    Hot chocolate/low calorie cappuccinos-these are my "treats" I sometimes have after dinner, usually with 1-2 cookies