Eat more to weigh less

Options
I know i am beating a dead horse. I would like to hear about your experiances. How many cals per day do you eat? What are your macros? How long have you done it? How much have you lost doing it?

I really dont need to hear the debate over eating more vs. less. Ive successfully lost 25lbs on 1200cals but most days im hungry; so im looking into other options and just want to know how it actually works for those who do it.

Thanks!

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I stick with 1200 cal a day with my macros set at 40/35/25 protien/carbs/fat. I eat 6 small meals a day. Eating frequently keeps my blood sugar balanced and keeps me from getting hungry. Protien is a mut have at every meal. I also try to not eat ack more than half my exercise calories. I've been off plan for a while now and plan on starting again NOW! I lost 170 lbs nd have put back on 20 lbs. I plan on taking off at least 15 lbs.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    1200 worked for me for a while, until it didn't. At your weight, you can probably get away with such a huge deficit. It's when you get closer to your goal weight that it will become an issue. What is working for you now, will stop working at some point in the future - and probably sooner rather than later. If you are hungry, you are likely under feeding.

There have been dozens of threads that answer this question. Have you tried going to 'Groups'? In the "Eat More to Weigh Less" group there are lots and lots of stories about this..

Now I eat around 1900 a day to lose.

The problem with asking this question, is you will get answers from all ages, all different heights, and at various stages in their weight loss. They may be sitting all day, or they may be a waitress.....without knowing the answers to all these questions, you are just getting a bunch of useless numbers.

• Hottea115
    Options
    Volumetrics is based on this. Grapes vs Raisins for instance. You can eat a lot more grapes for fewer calories than raisins. Weight Watchers Simply Filling program is built around this concept as well.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    1200 worked for me for a while, until it didn't. At your weight, you can probably get away with such a huge deficit. It's when you get closer to your goal weight that it will become an issue. What is working for you now, will stop working at some point in the future - and probably sooner rather than later. If you are hungry, you are likely under feeding.
    This I agree. If you got a lot of weight to lose (judging from your ticker) then you can get away with a large deficit but once you are only 10 pounds away from your goal weight thats where plateaus set in, plus if you are in that state and continue to eat in deficit, your body will eventually adjusts to the fewer calories consumed therefore will do anything in its power to "conserve" more energy by eating out your lean body mass which results with your body expending lesser calories even if you're working out with the same time period and intensity or fewer fidgeting, hair growth problems, etc.
  • AussieTrainer
    Options
    I eat 1600 to lose fast, usually I end up with more like 1800/day and still lose. I lost a total of 30+ lbs over the last couple of years using calorie counting
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 years old, 5'8", and I eat 1700 - 2000 cals a day, marcros are 40/30/30 protein/fat/carbs. I've been eating at this level for the better part of a year I think, can't remember exactly when I started it. I'm near my goal weight, and honestly haven't lost any weight since late July (I go up and down 3 or 4 lbs every few days), but I have consistently lost fat & inches, and dropped another pants size. My diary is open, and you'll see a lot of red in there over the past couple of weeks with the holidays, but even so, I haven't gained any weight. :smile: And I'm coming off of a full week of no exercise (normal routine is three days of strength training (typically less than an hour a day), three days of running 3-6 miles, at least one rest day).

I am in the Eat More To Weigh Less group and used the info in this thread to set up my goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Good stuff in there. I love not being hungry anymore! Knowing my numbers (BMR & TDEE) has been very freeing - no stress when I'm over every so often (or almost every day through the holidays!).