If every day were like today, you'd weigh _________. UGH!

Options
Every time I finish my food diary, there it is. In 5 weeks I will weigh 200. Great. Next day; in 5 weeks I will weigh 203. Whaaaa??? I am staying within 300 of the recommended cals (meaning not eating less than 300, not going over). If the projected # goes up I feel like I've gained or I am doing something wrong. It is quite upsetting. I am committed to not under eating, but this weight projection really messes with my head. I hope I can just keep focused on the fact that whatever the # is, it is less than I weigh today!

Replies

• tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    ignore it, it's just a calculation based on one number. I once completed a day before entering any food and supposedly I would be 30 pounds less in five weeks. Ignore it, it's not helpful.
  • MrsKillough
    MrsKillough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If it's less than today, I'm happy. I have days where I NEED chocolate biscuits - yesterday was particularly bad, but at the final reckoning, it's not the end of the world, because even if I ate like that every day, I'd weigh the same in 5 weeks as I do now, and I don't eat like that every day. it tells me I'm doing better than I was when I put the weight on.
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I try not to look at it, it's based on if you ate the EXACT same thing every single day for the next five weeks which is unrealistic. It changes because from one day to the next you may eat an extra 5g of fat or sugar or whatever it may be.
    It's really dumb I know but I just quickly press the button and try not to even look at it. Every day is different. Some good, some bad. Do your best and worry about the here and now. The future is just a result of what you've done today..
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Really, you don't even need to press that button. You've still logged your food, you still see your daily totals. All that button does is post to your profile that you've completely your daily diary.

If it stresses you, don't push that button.
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do like to look at it each day though and guage what weight I could be if I carry on sticking to my calories. I suppose it works on the number of calories eaten on that particular day and will work out if you eat that number every day for 5 weeks this is what you could be....but how many off us eat exactly the same amount of calories every day?

Somedays i am over by maybe 10 or 20 and somedays under by 20..... the difference of 40 calories between the two over 35 days is 1400 which is less that half a pound.....

I suppose the variation will come if you hugely eat under one day and then maybe hugely over the next - the bigger the difference in calories between the two days the bigger the difference in calculate weight loss?

I imagine it is there for a guideline so I dont take it too seriously and let the scales do the talking once a week!
  • MichelleOnWheels
    MichelleOnWheels Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Really, you don't even need to press that button. You've still logged your food, you still see your daily totals. All that button does is post to your profile that you've completely your daily diary.

If it stresses you, don't push that button.

I didn't realize that I don't have to press the button to record it. Thanks for that feedback, I'll be skipping it today, it is really messing w/ my head.
  • pinkgurl87
    Options
    Ya I pressed it , and I was like great that's all I will lose, I need to eat less. Though I ate less then my goal a mount of calories by a bunch. I don't think that will be helpful to me, because I have a feeling no matter what weight it says I will be at it won't be good enough. Sigh, I just want to lose weight fast but it don't work that way. I wish it did though.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I was recording them for a while. When i hit the 5 week mark I was actually below what the predictions said. I suspect as I am getting closer to goal that 5 weeks from now will I will not be below the predictions.

I think it's a great tool, it's telling you if you ate (and exercised) every day like today your calculated weight. If your following the MFP guidelines then the calculated weight is based on the goal that you put in. If you don't trust the MFP numbers then perhaps the MFP way isn't for you.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Ya I pressed it , and I was like great that's all I will lose, I need to eat less. Though I ate less then my goal a mount of calories by a bunch. I don't think that will be helpful to me, because I have a feeling no matter what weight it says I will be at it won't be good enough. Sigh, I just want to lose weight fast but it don't work that way. I wish it did though.
    Undereating will slow your weight loss and it's not sustainable. In the long run it will end up hurting more than helping. You should be aiming to eat your goal not trying to eat the least that you can. An occasional under day isn't going to hurt but trying to be 100's under every day is bad.