Breastfeeding moms?

Options
I am exclusively pumping and I'm having the hardest time trying to figure out just how many calories I need to eat. I've always gone by the rule to add 500 calories while breastfeeding. So I did just that but was always still incredibly hungry and other than the initial fluid loss, the scale didn't budge much. I decided to keep a log for a few days to see just how much milk I was producing and was blown away....80 oz per day which is like producing a 2 liter every day!!! So then I research online some more and the 500 calorie rule is so generic and based off a mom who produces less about 25 oz of milk per day. A lot of sites used the formula that there are 20 cals per oz of breast milk and to use that as a guide which in theory would equal 1600 calories IN ADDITION to what I'm
Already allowed just for breastfeeding. Sounds like an awful lot but it kind of makes sense and would explain the constant hunger and why the scale moving ever so slowly. I guess the only way to find out is to experiment with calories and to find out what works best. What experiences has anyone else had with this?

Replies

• Teran0612
    Teran0612 Posts: 263
    Options
    I would go with the 20 cals/ounce as a guideline.. I'm not sure I would eat an additional 1600 calories... ;-) But use that as a base.. You can also tell about how your milk looks.. Clearer blue milk doesn't have the fat and calories of whiter thicker milk.. So if it's looking a little on the weak side.. Up those calories!! And if you are hungry.. eat.. It's your body telling you it needs more calories. :-)
  • babbs770
    babbs770 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry, make wise food choices, and exercise. Remember that what you eat/how you eat can affect your milk supply.
  • tfonz10
    tfonz10 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am EP'ing. Its been hard for me to figure out how much to add in. You may need to do just trial and error.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Always check with your doctor. People's body's are different and they will probably be able to give you a better figure of what to consume and to check that there isn't anything else going on.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Just took a peek at your diary. You might be feeling hungry because you're eating a lot of carbs and not a lot of protein or fats.

Try adding more fibrous veggies, lean meats, and fat to your diet in lieu of all the carbs. They will help keep you satisfied longer. Eating more often will help you keep fuller longer too, though I realize that is difficult with a young child, so do your best.

Most of the post-partum BF moms I know here use the 500 calorie estimate as well.

You also have a lot of extra room for calories today, so you could eat more.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Hubby let me get a bodybugg/body media fit thingy so I could figure out exactly how many cals I'll be burning when I start BF'ing later next week. Super excited for extra cals and an excuse to eat lots of good food.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I nurse twins so I have my calories set for an extra 1000 a day. It sounds crazy, but it really is needed. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the actual amount used was higher than that. Why are you pumping that much? Is your little one eating 80oz a day? Anyway, if you are hungry eat! Too few calories for you can lower supply and or quality of breastmilk. Just curious why pumping instead of just nursing? I pumped for a little while when I was finishing up my student teaching(8 years ago) and I hated being hooked up to a milking machine. It was necessary, but I was glad when I was done with that.
  • sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    not sure about how many extra calories you should be eating, but i am exclusivly breastfeeding a child as well. i usually don't eat any extra calories, because i eat more than my recommended calorie allowances anyways.

but... i am sold on the idea that breastfeeding makes you lose weight though, i have lost 200 lbs from breastfeeding, well i gained 100 lbs with each baby, and i have been pregnant twice. i always go down to a normal weight, very quickly after the birht. so my son was born 4 weeks ago, and i have 100 lbs to lose agian. i have already lost 40. i also have no clue how many calories i am burning, because i don/t pump alot. ... feel free to add me as a friend!
  • zephtalah
    Options
    Hubby let me get a bodybugg/body media fit thingy so I could figure out exactly how many cals I'll be burning when I start BF'ing later next week. Super excited for extra cals and an excuse to eat lots of good food.

I doubt a bodybugg would measure calorie burned from nursing. The act of snuggling up your baby and feeding them does not burn very many calories. The calorie burn comes from your body making the milk which is an all day process not an isolated occurance like running on the tredmill. Just add in breastfeeding to your food or exercise log and call it good.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options

I doubt a bodybugg would measure calorie burned from nursing. The act of snuggling up your baby and feeding them does not burn very many calories. The calorie burn comes from your body making the milk which is an all day process not an isolated occurance like running on the tredmill. Just add in breastfeeding to your food or exercise log and call it good.

Wouldn't it tell you your basic TDEE? I would expect it to be higher than average if the body is working extra hard to produce milk. I should have a few days with it before baby comes, so I'll be able to compare what I burn pre-baby compared to post partum.
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I nurse twins so I have my calories set for an extra 1000 a day. It sounds crazy, but it really is needed. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the actual amount used was higher than that. Why are you pumping that much? Is your little one eating 80oz a day? Anyway, if you are hungry eat! Too few calories for you can lower supply and or quality of breastmilk. Just curious why pumping instead of just nursing? I pumped for a little while when I was finishing up my student teaching(8 years ago) and I hated being hooked up to a milking machine. It was necessary, but I was glad when I was done with that.

My baby's latch is incredibly strong. I've worked with 3 different LC's and nothing eased the pain or skin breakdown. I decided to EP and rented a hospital grade pump. I've never done anything to increase my supply, just pumping every 2-3 hours whenever he ate. I've tried going longer in between pumpings or not emptying completely and it always backfires. I've had mastitis once and get painful lumps when I try to space it out.
  • zephtalah
    Options

My baby's latch is incredibly strong. I've worked with 3 different LC's and nothing eased the pain or skin breakdown. I decided to EP and rented a hospital grade pump. I've never done anything to increase my supply, just pumping every 2-3 hours whenever he ate. I've tried going longer in between pumpings or not emptying completely and it always backfires. I've had mastitis once and get painful lumps when I try to space it out.

I am sorry. One of mine sucked so hard I got a blister/scab on the front of my nipple. Later, when she was nursing she sucked that off too. I had to fish it out of her mouth. One of the twins had a weird sucking pattern that left me sore for the first five months. It was very frustrating. It is fine now, but I thought it was never going to stop being painful to nurse him. I would readjust his latch and on and on. He just nursed weird. Mastitis is no fun to deal with either. Great determination to keep going inspite of the issues! Good for you!
  • zephtalah
    Options

Wouldn't it tell you your basic TDEE? I would expect it to be higher than average if the body is working extra hard to produce milk. I should have a few days with it before baby comes, so I'll be able to compare what I burn pre-baby compared to post partum.

Truthfully, I am not sure. It would be an interesting experiment. I would be curious to see how that goes. Either way, congratulations on your little one and I hope you have a wonderful nursing experience!
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks! He's only 2 months old and I'm just about out of freezer space already. I'm praying that I can get my blood pressure under control soon to get off my meds so I can donate some if the milk. I hate to admit that I've been pumping and dumping for 2 days now.
  • Rhunt24
    Rhunt24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

I don't have much advice for the calorie intake, but from having nursed 3 kids, I wanted to say way to go to both of you for doing so great with breastfeeding...I had 2 tongue tied babies who had to be clipped and our nursing was still so painful. With the 3rd I used nipple shields for the first 3 months and the difference was magical!! Good luck with nursing and the weight loss!1
  • DrBorkBork
    Options

Truthfully, I am not sure. It would be an interesting experiment. I would be curious to see how that goes. Either way, congratulations on your little one and I hope you have a wonderful nursing experience!

Thanks. Maybe if we keep this thread going as a support area, I can keep you all updated. My supply was really good with my first baby, but she had reflux really bad and couldn't nurse past 3 months. Started losing weight, getting really dehydrated... it was a nightmare. I felt like such a failure. She would try to latch on and then scream. I pumped, and would easily put out 6-12 oz every morning, but something was amiss. I want to do everything in my power to make this one work out!
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options

yeah, been there don't do that.
  • smb0701
    Options
    Thanks! He's only 2 months old and I'm just about out of freezer space already. I'm praying that I can get my blood pressure under control soon to get off my meds so I can donate some if the milk. I hate to admit that I've been pumping and dumping for 2 days now.
    i have a 17 wks old and i wish i could pump that much. i am in school at night and i struggle to get 4oz. for that time i am in class. maybe i need to up my calories. but sometimes i can't eat anymore because i'm just not hungry. but once i have reached my calorie goal for the day, and i get hungry after BF'ing i will eat.
  • smb0701
    Options
    Gr8 forum, i have been wondering if there were any other mom's out there dealing with calorie issues due to BF'ing like me. WE want to keep up the milk supply but we also want to get rid of the weight.
  • zephtalah
    Options

Thanks. Maybe if we keep this thread going as a support area, I can keep you all updated. My supply was really good with my first baby, but she had reflux really bad and couldn't nurse past 3 months. Started losing weight, getting really dehydrated... it was a nightmare. I felt like such a failure. She would try to latch on and then scream. I pumped, and would easily put out 6-12 oz every morning, but something was amiss. I want to do everything in my power to make this one work out!

That would be rough. I hope it goes much smoother for you this time.