Juicing - Would love to have advice

Sassafras4
Sassafras4 Posts: 22 Member
I bought a juicer and have fallen in love with it! I am a pretty picky eater and want to incorporate more veggies in my diet. I already feel a difference...have more energy and feel healthier. I am not sure how to log the calories since I am not eating the entire vegetable. I have juiced carrots, apples, cucumbers, red peppers, Romaine lettuce, spinach, and celery. Today, I am trying red cabbage...will include an apple or pear to help the taste. I bought a few recipe books and have learned a ton. If you have any experience or advice on what to do or what NOT to do, please post your words of wisdom. :smile:

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    In RE to counting the calories, you need to build a recipe in MFP and save it. You just build it based on the measured ingredients and MFP will calculate the calories and macros, etc. I prefer my veggies whole, either cooked or raw...in stews, etc but I know a few people who got into juicing to get their fruits and vegetables because they just never ate them. Just take the time to build the recipe in MFP and it's all good.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    hi! check out jointhereboot.com they have recipes and they are in the MFP data base!
    I really hated juicing broccoli and cabbage - love carrots, kale, spinach, celery, a little ginger and apples or pears

juice on! (that's what joe the juicer says -LOL)

Cindy
  • HeatherStorey
    HeatherStorey Posts: 52 Member
    When I juice, i use tomatoes, cucumbers, green pepper, carrots, and celery together. I absolutely hate juicing red cabbage. Did it once and will never do that again.
  • pinkakira1
    pinkakira1 Posts: 235 Member
    for calorie counting I found putting raw or juiced and along with the veggie name and found some veggie that way so I can count them. Yes... try to use less fruit and way more veggie but strong flavored veggies sometimes are hard to choke down...

I love do a base of mostly the same thing: 4oz carrots, 2-4 celery stalks, 1-2 handfuls of spinach, cucumber (good filler to give volume)

then for something sweet cantalope (be very sparing tho because wow its really sweet

I like adding to the base cilantro and red bell pepper- gives zip!

watermelon and mint together are good too but don't put the cucumber in the base because watermelon makes alot of juice.

I try and do as much veggies as possible but be sparing of carrots too because they have alot of sugar in them and cause staining to your teeth and gives you an orange glow if you eat too much. lol:laugh:

but make sure you have fun with it. don't make stuff you don't like just because its healthy... if you don't enjoy it you will not continue it. I never did red cabbage tho.
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Dont make your juice and then spill it before you drink it! I add protein powder to mine and a bit of ice. This morning was carrot, celery, beetroot and apple.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    I love juicing and have been doing it for a while! Shooting you a friend request now :flowerforyou:
  • Sassafras4
    Good advice. Tried red cabbage...overall it was fine. I included a carrot, celery. pear, spinach, and romaine lettuce. Tasted alright. I appreciate your input.
  • Sassafras4
    Great idea to add the protein powder...thanks!
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    when you are logging, add the words "raw juice" to whatever produce it is- it usually has the generic calories for it in ounces. I just keep track of what I juice by letting it fall into a 4 cup measurer first (i can see how the oz add up for each vegetable/fruit) and then transfer it to whatever ill be drinking it out of.

with all the other resources people mentioned, im sure you will find some really great recipes with no trouble. My own fave for morning time (havent done it in a while) is 1 cucumber, 1/2 stalk celery, 1/2 pineapple, 1 green apple, 1/2 lemon. So fresh and yummy.

Some tips:

1. every once in a blend, make sure you use the juicer for half and a blender for the other half, and then mix them together. You definitely want to be getting all the good fiber from so many of the fruits/veggies.

2. Dont try to juice "in advance"- always try to drink your juice within the hour you make it. Or at least before the next meal. Fresh raw juice does not keep well and you will lose many of the nutrients in letting it sit, even if its in the fridge.

3. Since most people who juice throw in the produce with skin and all (and I assume you do this), it is best to buy organic whenever you can. if not certified organic, at least from a local farmer whose practices are organic and natural in nature (it is costly for local farms to receive the organic certification).
  • Go to "jointhereboot.com"
  • Sassafras4
    Thanks for the advice. Still learning how all this works.:happy:
  • Sassafras4
    I tried. I think their website is down...or overloaded due to all the folks trying to pull it up today! Will do soon. Thanks!!!
  • Chinadorian
    and this is really random info, but some veggie/fruit combos you shouldn't mix because the natural enzymes in them do funky things to your body's pH and you shouldn't drink them together (ie spinach and beets. never juice them together)
  • Sassafras4
    Wow! Didn't know that. Anything other biggies to avoid mixing?
  • Chinadorian
    mmm.....none off the top of my head. I would have to look it up in this book by this vegan lady...Rose soemthing....cant remember the title exactly. ill get back to you about that!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    When I juice, sometimes I keep the pulp to mix in muffins and such.
    There are some great ideas here.
    I just detest veggies, so I had to find a way to get the nutrition without gagging myself sick.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    and this is really random info, but some veggie/fruit combos you shouldn't mix because the natural enzymes in them do funky things to your body's pH and you shouldn't drink them together (ie spinach and beets. never juice them together)

I second this. I actually read that you shouldn't mix any fruit juices with vegetable juices with the exception of apple. Apple can be mixed with vegetables and not cause any problems. My favorite thing to juice is apple, celery and beet. I also love green cabbage and apple. I tried a tomato one time, it was tomato, onion, spinach, and 1 garlic clove. It was delicious but I smelled like garlic all day, I didn't mind but others did. lol. I also found that if you want to have a juice that's thick give sweet potato a shot. It's a touch chalky, it's pretty thick, but it's delicious, almost like a milk shake.

Juicingbook.com is a great resource, and the author explains the reasoning being avoiding the mixing of fruits and vegetables in the same drink. He also recommends to try not to juice fruit as much because it is so high in sugar. He also gives some great recipes and he lists what is was traditional used to cure and what each veg. or fruit is a good source of. All of his information is free, and if you give him a donation he will email you a link for the printable pdf.
  • Sassafras4
    I right there with you. I even tried juicing red cabbage...not bad. I have never tried eating it. Guess you are never to old to try something new!
  • SouthGippyGirl
    SouthGippyGirl Posts: 76 Member
    I've got a juicing challenge happening at the moment, a few different ones actually. This is day 2 for me although I have juiced before, but only managed about 4 days that time.

I have a fb page where I am sharing all my recipes and ones I want to try. I have also put together a beginners hint and tips in the photo album and top reasons to juice. PM me if anyone would like some links.

I'm not really worrying about the cals in my juice as I know they are so good for me the weight will just drop off. I am still logging though, just to help motivation.

Any other juicers are welcome to add me!

Juice On!
  • I add beetroot & ginger tastes great and really good for you !!