couch 2 5K program

Options
Has anyone done this? Or are doing this now? I really would like to know!!! I'm thinking about doing this!!! Any input is welcome!!!

Replies

• tinabosquez
    tinabosquez Posts: 107
    Options
    what the heck is it?
  • MamaBear05
    MamaBear05 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have seen a lot about it on these forums so I have decided to try it. I am actually starting it today. Not really for the potential weight loss as I am at the weight I want to be, more for the cardiovascular benefits. I have never been a runner and get winded going up stairs so I am hoping this will help. It can't hurt, right? I say go for it.
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started it, but I switched over to another program a friend of mine gave me. Just finished week 4: run 3 min, walk 1 min five times! I HATE running but building little by little makes it not so bad. I just grit my teeth and deal with it 3 times a week.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Just started this week! I think it will up the intensity to my workouts! I was able to burn more calories by starting with it, then doing my regular elliptical workout. Here is the website I got the C25K plan from:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Hope this helps!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of incorporating it into my elliptical workout. I've been doing 45-50 minutes on the elliptical twice a week. I've been contemplating upping the number of times I go to the gym each week to 3 (I do EA Sports Active on the Wii on my off-days). Since the workout is 20-30 minutes of walking and running, I might do that and then 20-30 minutes of the elliptical. Plan B is to keep with my Tues/Thurs gym days but make the C25K program twice as long (2 weeks per step instead of 1). I like the benefits of running, but I've never EVER been a runner. This should be interesting.
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    If you look back a page or two in this area ("fitness and exercise") there are threads of people who are in the program. One is:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/88702-c25k-everyone-welcome-just-starting-or-in-the-middle

I started the program at the beginning of this year and "graduated" last month. It's definitely works and it's great to have a goal to reach. Even if you're pretty heavy like I am, it's definitely do-able. Challenging, but attainable! I did the program by time and not distance, but have since upped my distance to over the 5K point. I highly recommend it! I felt great doing it.
  • spicespice04
    Options
    starting it today.. we'll see how it works!
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I started it this week and love it!
  • smarston
    smarston Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Is this the transition training... If so it is great for burning fat. I love my first 23 lbs doing transition training Also I can finally run a whole mile w/o wanting to die. Love it! I am currently cycling and using my pilates performer but as soon as I get a new treadmill at home I will begin this again. It is great!
  • marybethbeech
    Options
    My fiance and I are seriously considering starting this program. I think that it sounds amazing. It seems like a lot of people have had a lot of success with it.

Two married friends of mine, who both qualify as obese, started the c25k program about a month ago. They've been taking about 2 weeks to each step, but it's something they can do together and really enjoy.
  • MamaBear05
    MamaBear05 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just got back from my first attempt at it. Week 1, Day 1. I downloaded Robert Urlley's podcast and used that. The music isn't spectacular but his cues are a great help. The time went by surprisingly quickly and although I certainly had to work at it, it was not as hard as I thought it was going to be. This does not mean, however that it was easy and I can skip ahead. I am looking forward to day 2 on Sunday. I just hope I can keep with it and not come up with the many excuses not to workout that I have in the past.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    There are several Couch to 5K threads here - mine is Spring Couch 2 5K - I'll post a link if you want it. Lots and lots of people are doing/have done this program. It really is great - I have 1 day of Week 5 left. I never, never thought I could run like this. I like it and look forward to doing it. I also use the cool running program. Google Couch to 5 K and you will find lots of info! It starts off slow - run 1 min, walk 1.5 min - repeat for 20 mins. At the end of 9 weeks you are running 30 minutes! Good luck!

Here's the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/84011-spring-couch-to-5k
  • AlwayzDD
    AlwayzDD Posts: 1
    Options
    I just graduated this program last night. I can't believe I can jog for 30 minutes straight without even thinking about it. So I did week 7 and week 8 twice, but that is because I knew my body wasn't ready to move forward those times. Now I am starting bridge 210K which is 6 week program! Good luck to you all! I can't believe how much more fit I am now after 11 weeks! Congrats to those of you who took the plunge! :smile: Also I lost 32 lbs so far on the program! It definitely works!