where do I start?

Options
Tomorrow is going to be my first day in the gym. Where should I start? I know I am going to do about an hr on the elliptical but not quite sure where else I should go on my first day. Tia

Replies

• OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I think an hour may be too long for your first day unless you are doing a very low level.

FWIW, our gym has a 30 mins limit anyways, so the most you can do is 30.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is going to be my first day in the gym. Where should I start? I know I am going to do about an hr on the elliptical but not quite sure where else I should go on my first day. Tia

Go on youtube and join the fitness community there ... best free trainers out there and there are a ton of them.

My favorite is POG (physics of greatness) guys are hilarious and never give bs advice imo... They have beginner videos they made like last year you can use those work outs to start with.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I think the first day is for seeing what your starting weights should be.
    Find machines or use free weights for arms and legs and find an exercise for your abs too.
    Lift a low weight and add more till it feels heavy
    You should be able to lift it 8 times in a row.
    Write it down.
    Next time come in and do the exercises you wrote in sets of 8 and see if you can do 2 or 3 sets of each.

Add more weight as it becomes easy.

If you haven't done gym before try to get a trainer to show you how.

Don't be afraid to ask people for help, if they look approachable
  • Luv2Dispatch911
    Luv2Dispatch911 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you. My work is very active and the elliptical isnt all at once. Ill try some weights tomorrow and ab excerises. I know theres also a kickboxing class tmw thst im interested in
  • tracys2013
    Options
    Hello.. I am joining my local gym this week and this is great advice. I always struggle when getting started. And, thank you for the YouTube advice.