Introducing Carbs/fats

Options
I've been on a low carb/no fat diet for about 3 years and has been a steady weight for that time and felt in the best shape ever (5.7, Female - 122lbs) and since then gain about 20lbs (underactive thyroid) - currently 145lbs. I've been on Ditroxin and my T3 was tested normal again after 6 mnths and I did stop the medication. I have been trying to reintroduce carbs/fats to my diet just to feel more satisfied (cravings), but just gained more and more weight. Can somebody please advise how to re-introduce them without gaining more weight.

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting to lose weight, why introduce them? I say continue off them until you hit goal, then slowly add back carbs.

Otherwise, take it one week at a time.
    week 1: add some extra veggies
    week 2: along with the veggies, add a piece of fruit (this is on top of what you already eat).
    week 3: along with the above, add 1 yogurt.
    week 4: add 1 serving of whole grain.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you would give up fats except for trans fats. Fat helps you feel satiated and is essential for the digestion of fat soluble vitamins.
    In reintroducing carbs I would go with low sugar complex carbs to avoid blood sugar spikes.
  • Lizard5648
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback, I think I would rather avoid the carbs till I hit my goal weight and slowly reintroduce them, week by week and meanwhile add some healthy fat to my diet (it really helps you feel satisfied) :-)
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you're eating low carb and no fat, what are you eating? It's usually low carb, high fat or high carb, low fat. There's a reason for that.
  • Lizard5648
    Options
    If you're eating low carb and no fat, what are you eating? It's usually low carb, high fat or high carb, low fat. There's a reason for that.

I eat lots of fruit/ veggies and no complex carbs (only lite crackers/provita's at lunch time), and do not add extra fat to my diet at this stage for example advocado, nuts and olive oil. (just to reach my goal weight), then I will start to reintroduces the carbs/fats. I still eat salmon and a few other foods that have healthy fats :-)
  • jacquerd
    jacquerd Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You really should not be cutting out any macro, just find your balance. Carbs (yes, good, healthy ones), are my highest macro. You need them for energy. You need a good balance of macros to fuel your body and your workouts. If your macros and calories are in check, you won't gain weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You are still a healthy weight.. just introduce fats in first as well as maintaining fruits and veggies and concentrate on strength training if you arent doing so. This will allow for you to maintain muscle while losing fat. And this way you wont have to worry about how much you weigh.

Btw, fruits and veggies are complex carbs.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have been at maintenance for about three months now. I have not reintroduced my "red light " carbs - rice,pasta,pototoes or any form og bread. During my third phase of my lifestyle change,, the plan called for adding two pieces of whole grain bread daily into my plan. I just couldnt do it. I got with my plan people and they told me to add one more apple or banana instead. For maintenance, i have added back about two ounces of almonds or a healthy dry roasted nut mix. I know eat an avocado almost every day. The only flour i eat weekly is on my oven baked chicken tenders. So i changed my carbs to ones that are much more nutrient dense than the ones i nashed on before.

The result? I have stayed at goal. I am amping my activity and strength training up in 2013, so i am sure my calories i eat will go up, but i am logging every day and weighing every day to make sure I dont lose or gain more than a pound...
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    that weight gain might be water. Give it a few weeks. You should plateau if you're truly at maintenance