Aloe vera recipes?

Options
Hey gang,

I am curious whether any of you are using aloe vera in your diets? Other than smoothies, how are folks using this vegetable? It's supposed to be great for getting rid of compounds that your liver and other organs filter out (which helps with weight loss and general health). Chia and flax seeds work similarly, but I don't have chia and flax plants taking over my side table and I DO have a big pot of aloe going crazy here.

Ideas?? Please share!!

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Outside of smoothies, I have not had the flesh whole. The cold processed juice is available at most Walmarts. Now, there are studies that the raw flesh causes cancer in rats. I Chanced it once, and probably will any time indigestion begins in earnest. Being that it is slimy, like okra and napales, I do not see any other appetizing way of doing it. I doubt that it will have the desired affect if you cook it...
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use whole aloe inner leaf gel only, nor would I consider it a vegetable, it's more of a herbal supplement with risks and contraindications than a food. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17613130
  • RockstarPunch
    RockstarPunch Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Love aloe vera! Aloevera juice is great to drink by itself:happy: also if you want to do a quick flush for two or three days (Aloe vera gel or juice + cayenne+maple syrup+distilled water+lemon) its great to get out toxins.:glasses:
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Love aloe vera! Aloevera juice is great to drink by itself:happy: also if you want to do a quick flush for two or three days (Aloe vera gel or juice + cayenne+maple syrup+distilled water+lemon) its great to get out toxins.:glasses:
    I have that as a 14 day flush - the aloe… it is the juice of 10 lemons, and eat nothing!! I did it once for 10 days (used the maple afterwards, as a a remedy for the cayenne and lemon!) After 10 days, I could not hold down the drink any longer, and transitioned into Topher-made juice!.
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous. If you get a sunburn or a burn, cut off a leaf and apply the gel (juice of the leaf) to the burn. It will take the sting out of it and it will help with healing.

Do whatever you can to keep that plant. My ex ruined mine. Never have gotten another one. (Need to find one...smoothies you say?)
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I just take a straight 1 ounce shot in the mornings on an empty stomach. People think it's nasty but to me it's not as bad as hard liquor.

"Let food be thy medicine" Hippocrates
  • SheilaHoover
    Options
    Where are you on the planet HisangelG? If you're close enough, perhaps I can send you a chunk of my planter-ful.

I know how great aloe is topically...grew up in Arizona and my mom was constantly sending us out to snap off a spear for one cut or another. I am pleased to have this planter today!