Breakfast

Options
My whole life I was raised on cereal for breakfast. I realize now with this new lifestyle that most cereals are not good and are full of sugar. I've been able to continue eating cereal throughout my journey and still lose weight, but now I'm looking for new ideas to transition myself into eating a more nutritious breakfast. Anyone with a similar experience or any good suggestions for breakfast?

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I don't really mind sugar, honestly. only reason I try to keep it down is because of the high-cal aspect. so I don't think cereal is bad at all. actually, I use it as a late-night snack, often, just munching it dry.

but for breakfast, I went with eggs for a long time. kind of burned out on those, so I've switched to coffee and toast, maybe, or something else light. bacon's always good. greek yogurt, maybe. (which, if frozen, lasts longer and seems to be more filling.)

the general idea for me is to take the hunger edge off, but not to use tons of calories. I prefer to use those during the final 12 hours or so of my day.
  • Mikemax125
    Options
    I too was raised on cereal for breakfast. My drug of choice was Frosted flakes. Ive transitioned to better habits now though and have dropped the sugary cereals. I can suggest 1/2 whole wheat bagel with almond butter and half a banana, or another one is 1/2 cup oats 1 tbsp almond butter sprinkled with cinnamon and a few raisins. Good Luck!
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I actually have retained cereal - I have all bran or weetabix because they're low GI and have the lowest added sugar out there. I weigh my portion and add a few raisins, and breakfast comes in <300cals.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think everyone was brought up on cereal. I now eat a lot of oatmeal, turkey bacon, waffles and egg substitute. Homemade burritos are great too.
  • sweetpeaz12345
    sweetpeaz12345 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Lots of great breakfast ideas out there.

Wrap with peanut butter wrapped in a banana is my favourite on the go breakfast.

Kashi also makes a pretty decent cereal, but my favourite is Shredded wheat with berries.
  • shepram50
    shepram50 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have realized that my cholesterol was high b4 starting this journey an I love breakfast favorite meal of the day to ill have it any time. I have switched what i eat. I will have the egg beaters some turkey sausage an some toast or a heart healthy English muffin. Very good an keeps you under 350 to 400 cals or less if done right. The turkey sausage was surprisingly tasty. If u want throw veggies into it to kick it up if you whatever ur pleasure. Also the chopped turkey bacon or turkey bacon bits taste the same an just as good. Thats my take good luck :)
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi Bailey!!

Scooby Workshop recommends Shredded Wheat with FF milk and a piece of fruit (that is what I had today). He also likes egg whites with veggies.

My Insanity book has:
    1) Oatmeal with protien powder and chopped walnuts
    2) Fruit and cottage cheese
    3) Smoothie
    4) Bagel and lox (smoked salmon)
    5) Omlete
    6) Yogurt with fruit and nuts

I think, from all my reading, that it is best to stay under 300 cals if you are doing 5-6 small meals a day and under 400 cals if you are doing 3-4 meals a day.

I think it helps to have a good protien and carb mix to keep you full.

Anyway, I am still learning myself but hope this helps.
  • thesatch88
    thesatch88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I go with oatmeal with 2 tablespoons peanutbutter and one scoop chocolate casein protein mixed in. tastes awesome, and im on a build, so its a solid breakfast for me.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I like cereal. Eat it every day, all different kinds, including the occasional super sugary kinds.

Oh, and for the record, I'm amused with people suggesting oats as a replacement for cereal, seeing as oats ARE cereal.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Cinnimon Toast crunch yum. S

you could:
    A: Skip breakfast
    B: Eat eggs
    C:Eat a carb source and a protein
    D: Eat a carb
    E: Eat cereal with fruit in it
    F: Drink a shake
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    Breakfast cereal is my biggest binge food. For me the only way to handle it was to make it leave the house. It is the one food I asked my family to never get again. If it's in the house I will eat it. I will eat all of it. Sigh. I now have variations on eggs with a protein. I'm low carbing it so that fits right in with my diet plan.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Smoothie, scrambled eggs with veggies, fruit omelette, oatmeal with jumbo or steel cut oats. It's worth running a search, this comes up regularly.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    coffee

skip eating breakfast

save those calories for later
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I like cereal but I rarely eat it because I don't find it filling...well, the suggested serving size isn't filling. haha. Breakfast for me is usually eggs, either over easy or scrambled with peppers and cottage cheese. Sometimes with toast, sometimes with turkey bacon, usually fruit of some kind. Coffee to the max.

I also really love the "pancakes" that are just an egg, banana and peanut butter. So good, I have them about once a week...sometimes I add walnuts or chocolate chips or strawberries...always delicious.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    BACON flavored cereal would be da bomb!:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    New diet: no cereal. No grains, actually.

Eggs and bacon after a workout.
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    I don't see any problem with eating cereal for breakfast. I still do something. I just get the cheapest kind with the lowest amount of calories per serving.

But if you really want ideas for breakfast, I suggest checking out skinnytaste.com. There are countless breakfast recipes on there that are low calorie but still taste good. There's even a recipe for Egg Nog Pancakes.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    BACON flavored cereal would be da bomb!:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Bacon bits?

On topic: I do a whole egg, over medium, with a bagel thin. This is at least five days a week. Sometimes I'll use egg beaters instead.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    cold ceral vanishes from my tummy as soon as i eat it. oatmeal sticks longer for me. steel cut oats are my number one followed by greek yogurt and granola. i love me some morning star farm biscuts (sausage egg and cheese) with POM cherry juice thats what i had this AM. nummy numm
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal
    Greek yogurt
    smoothies
    Scrambled egg whites
    Turkey bacon and sausage
    French toast topped with fruit
    Whole wheat toast with peanut butter