Weight loss reward majorly backfired!

Options
2»

Replies

• BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about this unfortunate surprise! I had a similar experience about seven years ago, and it honestly ****ed my self image up more than I ever thought it would. However, it was my own fault: I used cheap, store-bought lightener for over a year, and my hair broke off and fell out, forcing me to cut it (it looks like yours was about the same length mine was then). I don't remember when I started to hate the way I looked, but I guess the thought sort of crept in gradually, and before I knew it, I was insecure - and about 20 pounds heavier to boot!

I know you want your long hair back, but I want to encourage you to embrace the change. Looking back at photos of myself from that time, I think now that I looked great!
    199785_507287884404_7889_n.jpg

Several years later, I was married (and had gained even more weight) and was learning to love my appearance even if it wasn't what I remembered it to be. I woke up from a nap one day and had this thought that I wanted to shave off my hair. "Surely I'm more emotionally mature now than I was then, right?" I asked myself. I gave myself a week to ponder the change, and then my husband shaved it down to the scalp!
    74372_570950883244_6450646_n.jpg
    Now, I know not everyone wants to be bald - I'm not telling you that you should shave your hair. But - when I decided to get rid of my hair, I was overweight (about 25 or 30 pounds heavier than I am now), I didn't (and still don't) wear makeup, I didn't (and don't, of course) have the "facial bone structure" that everyone said was so important to have if a woman had no hair, and I didn't try to look ultra-feminine. I just got rid of the one feature to which I'd unknowingly hitched my self esteem for so long, simply to see how I'd feel about it. Spoiler alert: I felt great. Sometimes my head was cold, but I loved being bald. I also liked seeing how my natural hair grew back:
    205782_600474103474_4193575_n.jpg
    I didn't cut it for a full year, at which point my husband gave me a floppy, lazy mohawk:
    380302_639330609724_881598536_n_zpsed058a9f.jpg

I didn't wear hats or scarves, though I thought I might like to, and when I got tired of the uneven hair lengths, my husband cut the middle part to about the same length as the rest. It's been about 10 months or so since then, and I've let it grow again because it's been a while since I had long hair, and I'm too cheap to pay for a hair cut.

So anyway, I'm sharing this with you because, like I said earlier, I want to encourage you to love your hair and its story. Your hair is just part of your overall appearance, and it's transient, and sometimes it's neat to see what you can do with it just for the hell of the experience. I also "hid" behind long hair when I was heavier, and again, looking back at photos revealed that, while I looked fine, I wasn't fooling anyone into thinking I was thin and gorgeous just because my hair was beyond my shoulders. You're still the same person you were before you went to the salon, and you have a huge accomplishment (your weight loss) to be proud of, hairstyle be damned! Congratulations on reaching your goal, and I hope you come to love your haircut before it grows out. I bet it's cute!

- Becky
    You are too cute!

Op you should watch a documentary called "Good Hair". It talks about the struggles black women go through to achieve the kind of look you are talking about. It may not be what you are going through but I walked away from it thinking 'I am more than just my hair'
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    You said expensive. They didn't do a strand test and messed up your hair and THEN made you pay for it?
    What?

I would also like to ask this question...TF?!

Also...try Mane and Tail. It's actually a horse shampoo but it's super good for your hair. I think they even sell it at Walmart now. I used it once when my hair got butchered and super damaged and it made my hair super healthy and grow really fast.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I had a bad dye reaction last february and big chunks of my hair broke off right in the front and left frizzy little stubs. It was AWFUL! I feel your pain! It grows back eventually. I got it all cut to the shortest length, and went and bought a couple "fashionable" hats and just waited it out. Now I have a ponytail again, and I'm DONE with dying my hair ever again! (until I get grey, probably) Sorry! :-(
    It really sucks.
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you had such a bad experience. I know how horrible it can be when your hair gets ruined. I have not had that bad of an experience but I have had bad experiences. I hope you find a different way to reward yourself and not make unhealthy decisions because of this bad experience. ((hugs))
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    This happened to me many years ago with a perm I got that went horribly wrong. I went from hair to my mid-back to a pixie cut after cutting off the damage.

Strangely enough though, the pixie cut looked great on me, and I ended up keeping it for two years before growing back out.

Sorry this happened to you! Just try to make the best of it that you can.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Forever Young has some great modern wigs that i really love.
  • sweetpeaz12345
    sweetpeaz12345 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    With a gorgeous smile like yours you have nothing to worry about. :smile:
  • kmh0617
    kmh0617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Rock a sassy and sexy short cut that you like until your hair grows out.
    Myself, I love my short hair! I didn't care when I was heavier and my face was more round, either. But a cute stacked bob that comes just under the chin can be slimming to the face.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Biotin. :) Enjoy!

Just drink it with lots and lots of water so you don't get the acne. :)
  • FightFlabAndWin
    Options
    I considered the method like a visual weight loss journal that allowed me to showcase my effort to myself and to prove to those who doubted me just how much I was doing to loose weight. http://fightflabandwin.tumblr.com/post/37797583872/introduction-to-weight-loss-bingo
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You are too cute!

Op you should watch a documentary called "Good Hair". It talks about the struggles black women go through to achieve the kind of look you are talking about. It may not be what you are going through but I walked away from it thinking 'I am more than just my hair'

Thanks! I watched Good Hair, and even though I wasn't aware of the different ways black women styled and modified their hair beforehand, I loved it! Learned a lot, too.