Easy affordable low cal breakfast ideas?

Options
Hello everyone. I'm seeing a nutritionist in a few weeks but in the meantime I would like some affordable easy low cal breakfast ideas. I have about 100lbs to lose and I'm 4"7-in case anyone was wondering :)

Replies

• CandaceHoweth91
    Options
    Not really "breakfast" but I like a strawberry banana smoothie and it's only around 200 calories and makes over a glass. If I eat breakfast, I really like toast and 1 or two eggs. Put toast in the toaster and then while they toast, cook two eggs in a microwave safe bowl or mug for about a minute and 30 seconds.
  • kmh0617
    kmh0617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, steel cut oats (I like to add egg whites or cottage cheese to mine), cottage cheese with fruit or veggies, whole grain english muffin with PB, tofu (or egg/egg white) scramble with veggies and cheese, poached eggs and salsa on top of refried beans, Greek yogurt and granola.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. Add whatever you want (fruit, pb, nuts).
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    citrus-oranges, clementines, grapefruit, whatever you like.

I love any citrus. It really helps me wake up and have more energy. Seem to be more filling than apples or other fruits for some reason. They are in season and on sale this time of year if you are in north america.

bananas are always the cheapest fruit in the store, great for breakfast. or healthy flax seed banana muffins.
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    cooked wheat berries. extremely filling, low carb, good protein.
  • kmh0617
    Options

Do you make them up just like steel cut oats? I'm interested to try...
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    My breakfast for today, egg beaters - 3Tbls , kroger frozen turkey sausage patty, Healthy Life english muffin, laughing cow garlic/herb cheese wedge - total calories 190. As good as any McD sandwich.
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    How are steel cut oats different from regular oats?
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options

Do you make them up just like steel cut oats? I'm interested to try...

Yep pretty much. If they're overwhelmingly chewy for you by themselves, they're awesome mixed with steel cut oats too.
  • Christabelle79
    Christabelle79 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are fuller, not like the flakes. I like steel cut oats a lot more than any other kind. They are sometimes called pinhead oats. They are much more filling and (IMO) delish!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/steel-cut-oatmeal-recipe/index.html
  • kmh0617
    Options
    Steel cut oats have not been rolled flat (like rolled oats). Rolling them flat reduces cooking time, but destroys some of the whole-grain property of the oat. I partially cook mine the night before- add all kins of goodies like vanilla, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon. Then (for protein) I mix in some egg whites and top with soy milk and whatever else (nuts, fruit, etc.). In the morning I just grab and go and zap it in the micro at work.

Also, at any natural grocery (Whole Foods, local Co-op, etc.) they'll have these things in the bulk bins. I buy any grain, spices, dried fruit, nuts and the like from bulk bins. It's CHEAP.