Calorie burn from strength training?

Options
How do I determine the calories burned from strength/weight training ?

Replies

• Matt_Wilken
    Options
    It's almost impossible to say since your body is actively burning calories up to 36 hours after training
  • JoshT360
    Options
    I don't think it matters how much calories being burned. As long you can see them gains.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    there's an option to log it under cardio.. you can either choose strength training or cross trainer, general. but it's just a rough guestimate
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I just saw this response on a similar thread and thought I would pass it on!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/

Step 1
    Weigh yourself before each weight lifting session. The number of calories you burn partially depends on your weight.

Step 2
    Time the number of minutes you lifted weights. This includes the time spent resting between repetitions.

Step 3
    Determine the intensity value of your weight training. A bodybuilding level of effort is vigorous and burns 0.055 calories per pound per minute. Circuit training with weights burns 0.042 calories per pound per minute. Strength training with free weights burns 0.039 calories per pound per minute. Lighter weight lifting with moderate effort burns 0.028 calories per pound per minute.

Step 4
    Calculate the number of calories burned. First, multiply your weight by the number of minutes you exercised. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs. and lifted weights for 35 minutes, the formula would be 140 x 35 = 4900. Then multiply this number by the intensity value to get the number of calories burned. If you were circuit training, the formula would be 4900 x 0.042 = 206 calories burned.

Step 5 for those accounting for calories, like on MFP.
    Take your already accounted for maintenance calories (TDEE if using that method, MFP Goals - Calories burned from daily activities) divided by 1440. That's how many calories was expected and accounted for burning per minute of your day already. Multiply by the same workout time in minutes.
    Subtract that value from the Step 4 calories burned.

That's how many calories above and beyond what you were expected to burn in that time already.
  • kellapicola
    kellapicola Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump for the strength training calorie burn formula...THANKS!!!
  • R0asted
    R0asted Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I honestly DO NOT track calories from lifting. I eat the same number of calories on my off days and lifting days. I find that 300 calories + or - here and there doesn't make much of a difference when I'm dieting, it all evens out in the end if I lift and eat consistently.
  • lornawalker
    Options
    Bump
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    HRM - Heart Rate Monitor

They aren't super expensive for just a basic one even an off-brand at a discount store. Polar has a cheap one on amazon for $68 and it's worth it. I never logged any strength calories and shockingly I was not eating enough by far. Plateaus and weightloss riddles, puzzling out my problem areas and fighting calories, guestimating.. it wasn't working for me anymore. I was upset & driving myself crazy. Now I go crazy thinking about how much more muscle I could have built if I would've had the HRM.

Sometimes I'll hit weights and burn 450 calories in an hour & a half. Sometimes I'll only do 298 in 40 minutes. I'm not into feeling like I'm failing or struggling with giving up because I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm 10.5 lbs to my goal and accuracy is essential to getting the last of the weight off. When you start out that deficit isn't too bad except you're not doing the optimal for your goals. At then end when it all needs to be accurate - I struggle more and guess what calories I need to eat doesn't work for me anymore.

Good Luck to you!! :flowerforyou: