Really struggling to get back on track post Xmas

Options
H all, I hope you had a great New Years :)

Sadly, I am really struggling to get back on the diet bandwagon post Xmas. I am normally extremely pedantic with my food intake and exercise, but ever since it has been holidays, I have taken on an extremely unwelcomed sense of apathy. For years my weight has been up and down, struggling between either being strong enough to resist sugar cravings (I have pcos) and my mammoth appetite, or giving in and gaining it all back. But now, I just really can't be bothered.

This time last year I lost the weight because my parents were away for a month, so I literally taped the cupboard shut, and only had set meal ingredients outside of it. So i kind of got into a routine. but now it just seems too hard to resist, and it seems like my appetite is 10x what it used to be.

I am really struggling to get motivated again, and I'm just not sure what to do :(. I'm terrified that I am going to get obese like what is common with pcos. I just don't feel like I can start all over on my own.
Buddies would be highly appreciated

Replies

• ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    i just did it.I ate crap for a week during xmas and then on 31st I got straight back into it. Day 3 of new start for me. I gained 3lbs and lost them after xmas as it was mostly just junk making me bloated and feel bad. Just get back to normal habits and you'll get back into the rythem soon x
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I think you and and I are quite similar

My body fights me when I try and go below 120. I've stayed around 112/115 for a while but am having a hard time losing more. I am on the smaller side right now, but I fee like I will dieting my whole life because the less you weigh, the less you can eat.

Also focusing on weight loss when you're already thin, just leads to being skinny fat/not really satisfied with your body.

I've been in and out of diet for years ranging between 82 pounds (I was very very sick with an eating disorder) and my highest weight of almost 150 pounds. My "Norm" is about 125/130 but I have never been happy at any of these weights.

I've also always been really into cardio, and haven't ever lifted before.

I'm starting a lifting routine because I've finally realized I want to be FIT not skinny.

And the plus side is my weight will go up, meaning I get to eat more, but my body fat will go down and I'll get rid of that "skinny fat" look which is what I find discouraging BC I am never happy at any weight not matter how thin.

So I think your answer actually lies in adapting your work outs, not so much your diet. Keep eating clean as much as possible, especially with PCOS but I really think you'll be happier with your results if you focus on building muscle.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options

Sadly, I am really struggling to get back on the diet bandwagon post Xmas. I am normally extremely pedantic with my food intake and exercise, but ever since it has been holidays, I have taken on an extremely unwelcomed sense of apathy. For years my weight has been up and down, struggling between either being strong enough to resist sugar cravings (I have pcos) and my mammoth appetite, or giving in and gaining it all back. But now, I just really can't be bothered.

This time last year I lost the weight because my parents were away for a month, so I literally taped the cupboard shut, and only had set meal ingredients outside of it. So i kind of got into a routine. but now it just seems too hard to resist, and it seems like my appetite is 10x what it used to be.

I am really struggling to get motivated again, and I'm just not sure what to do :(. I'm terrified that I am going to get obese like what is common with pcos. I just don't feel like I can start all over on my own.

Same boat as you and mine is sinking fast! I am just like you, only I don't have PCOS... I'd love the support, too!
    I'm AGAIN on day 1 of eating clean and day 2 of training hard. I was excellent until last night when I binged on crisps, biscuits, chocolates, yogurt (no the good stuff) and generally ruined all my hard work yesterday.

Gotta start somewhere!
  • kamiAK
    kamiAK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    you weight 124# and you are complaining that you are too fat?
  • hughv1
    hughv1 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi Nicky,

I really know how you feel! In early December I came down with Glandular Fever and when Christmas arrived I just thought "I've had a tough time, I'm just going to enjoy myself this Christmas and not worry too much about calories and exercise" - I figured I'd make up for it by throwing myself into healthy eating and exercise in the new year, but like you I'm finding it hard to get back on track. I've been feeling really defeated because the healthy choices seem so much harder to make since my Christmas splurge!

I can't say I really know how to 'push through it' but the strategy I'm working with for myself is to get started with small projects that will help with my health goals - e.g.: I've been compiling all of my healthy recipes in Evernote and tagging them with the calorie counts which makes menu planning really easy (and snazzy, because I can create shopping lists in Evernote too) - I've also been trying to flood my spare time with healthy inspiration by watching healthy cooking shows, Diet Doctors or old episodes of the Biggest Loser instead of my usual british comedies in the evening. I'm really hoping that if I can just keep my mind focused on the 'end game' the healthy habits will soon come back - fingers crossed anyway! It's just such a tough time of year to have health and fitness goals - it seems that everywhere you go there's a surplus of everything delicious!

Anyway, drop me a line if you ever want to chat and good luck :)
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    you weight 124# and you are complaining that you are too fat?

No, I'm scared that my bingeing Is going out of control, and that I'm going to get there
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Seasoned binger here...I understand your fear. I'm the same. In fact, when my dad died and I was in the States for 12 days in November, I gained 11 lbs, yes, I lost most of it quite quickly, but I didn't fit into my clothes... bingeing is a curse... so much guilt and anxiety. I'm going to make myself exercise and drink 3L of water .... I am fine all day with eating clean and then in the evening, it's just a disaster. I don't know why I do it?
  • nickyfm
    Options
    Seasoned binger here...I understand your fear. I'm the same. In fact, when my dad died and I was in the States for 12 days in November, I gained 11 lbs, yes, I lost most of it quite quickly, but I didn't fit into my clothes... bingeing is a curse... so much guilt and anxiety. I'm going to make myself exercise and drink 3L of water .... I am fine all day with eating clean and then in the evening, it's just a disaster. I don't know why I do it?

Me neither!! It's almost impossible to deny our bodies something that makes us feel good, it's the human condition. But the guilt after means its never worth it. And I am EXACTLY the same as you. On my best behaviour during the day, but come night time...!

We need to think of ways to distract ourselves. It's a shame we are on different time zones, otherwise we could have played an online game or something!! Haha
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Great idea!

Last night I actually talked mhyself through it. It sounded like this...

"You've eaten enough. You're not actually hungry (CRISPS/CHIPS sugar sugar sugar)"

"Just go to sleep. You won't die if you don't eat chocolate." (But it's so nice and a few won't hurt...you worked so hard today at the gym you deserve it)

"Wait 20 min and if you still want it, have it." (Waiting waiting waiting, yes yes I still want it. And more. Went down twice to get more stuff.)

"Ugh, why did I do this? I feel sick. I won't do it again tomorrow. I wil never lose this gut and flabby *kitten* if I keep doing this." (I promise I won't do it again tomorrow.)

People who have never binged or binge/purged don't get it. It's a compulsion. It's difficult to describe but most of all, it's purely self-destructive behaviour. Self-sabotage and serves no purpose. So the big question is...how to break the cycle?
  • nickyfm
    Options
    Great idea!

Last night I actually talked mhyself through it. It sounded like this...

"You've eaten enough. You're not actually hungry (CRISPS/CHIPS sugar sugar sugar)"

"Just go to sleep. You won't die if you don't eat chocolate." (But it's so nice and a few won't hurt...you worked so hard today at the gym you deserve it)

"Wait 20 min and if you still want it, have it." (Waiting waiting waiting, yes yes I still want it. And more. Went down twice to get more stuff.)

"Ugh, why did I do this? I feel sick. I won't do it again tomorrow. I wil never lose this gut and flabby *kitten* if I keep doing this." (I promise I won't do it again tomorrow.)

People who have never binged or binge/purged don't get it. It's a compulsion. It's difficult to describe but most of all, it's purely self-destructive behaviour. Self-sabotage and serves no purpose. So the big question is...how to break the cycle?

It's true. The "wait 20 mins" thing doesn't work for us.
    i suppose the only thing we can do is stop it cold turkey, and bear with the writhing, painful urge to binge, until the need eventually goes away. I went 10 weeks without bingeing last year, and I felt great, looked great, and really stopped struggling to fight it after maybe 3 weeks. I believe it takes 21 days to break a bad habit, but I still haven't made it 3 weeks in months :(

We have to remember that we are not weak people. But giving in to s binge is a weak action. It's the easy way out. We need to replace our night binges with perhaps a cup of tea? Or even going out of the house?
  • khshearman
    khshearman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to binge in the evenings a lot too so I changed my workouts, I now exercise in the evening so that when I get in I'm just too tired to binge. It works but I get it depends when you like to workout
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Good idea re: fighting it and I agree, when i'm "in teh zone" nothing or no one could make me binge...it's just breaking the cycle, like you say, for 3 weeks or so.

It's very hard but nice to know I'm not alone!

For me, a bit of carbs/sugar is enough to put me into a spiral so total abstinence is what works for me.... sticking strictly and not veering off, that means no social engagements where I cannot control what is served, no drinking AT ALL and being ridiculously strict on myself. Has to be done.

Are you exercising, too?
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    That's actually a great idea because I train generally in the morning (I'm a morning person)...after a good session I am not in the humour to eat nevermind binge. Might try this! Thanks!
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I was the same iv put lodes on -_- this is what I did ..... Sit down an take a pic of your ugliness and standing up and get all goodies out the house and sweetner for your coffee if u avnt alredy and sit an read the success sorties for an hour an bobs ye uncle ye ye *kitten* up an jog around the livenroom for 10 mins no exscuses missy it's the summer soon x
  • JosieJo2000
    JosieJo2000 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but I find I want to binge when I've been overly restrictive in my calorie intake. When I got near my goal weight I upped the calories by 200 and was still at a deficit (with exercise) and lost a bit slower but wasn't inclined to binge. I also try not to cut my favourite foods out altogether. So I will have a couple of hot chips from the kids' lunch when we're out (it's a treat for them - not a regular thing!), or a tiny square of cake. That way I don't miss these things enough to gorge on them!

As for Christmas, many people here let it all go, enjoyed it, then jumped back on the healthy eating bandwagon. You need to eat well 90 something percent of the time - not 100% You'll be fine :)
  • nickyfm
    Options
    I used to binge in the evenings a lot too so I changed my workouts, I now exercise in the evening so that when I get in I'm just too tired to binge. It works but I get it depends when you like to workout

Fantastic idea. Normally I do pole dancing classes at their 5:15 or 615 pm 3 nights a week, and I never ever binge those nights, because I only get home at alround 8pm, so dinner is late and I don't want to binge. Should look into doing my gym classes at night too! (Pole has been on Xmas break, and returns on Monday)
    Good idea re: fighting it and I agree, when i'm "in teh zone" nothing or no one could make me binge...it's just breaking the cycle, like you say, for 3 weeks or so.

It's very hard but nice to know I'm not alone!

For me, a bit of carbs/sugar is enough to put me into a spiral so total abstinence is what works for me.... sticking strictly and not veering off, that means no social engagements where I cannot control what is served, no drinking AT ALL and being ridiculously strict on myself. Has to be done.

Are you exercising, too?

I'm exactly the same. It has to be no alcohol, no sugar, otherwise it spells trouble. I love to exercise, but have been extremely unmotivated as it is pole dance class holidays, and that is my favourite exercise. Just gym by itself is boring to me, so I've been a bit lazy the past week.

Maybe we could hold each other accountable for the next 3 weeks? Might help when you feel like you are owning an explanation to someone haha
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

motivation #1: outrunning hungry bears

run-from-bear-0.jpg
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    motivation #2: outrunning angry hippos

hippo-running-funny.jpg
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    motivation #3: outrunning zombies

shane_running.jpg
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    motivation #2: outrunning angry hippos

hippo-running-funny.jpg

Hahahaha thank you for this and the bears. You really made me giggle.
    I speak as another member of the lower weight/ate too much at Christmas/one little slice won't hurt/evening binge crew.

Plus I have never actually enjoyed exercise, so walking is my option, which is ok except that our weather here has been foul since the summer and even the dog isn't that keen on walking sometimes.

I put on almost 7lbs, have dropped 3lb so far and need to KEEP GOING!
    Good luck all.
    :flowerforyou: